FalconPio

Deon Jones has to play his own position and dukes simultaneously

60 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Exactly bro! He stunk it up no doubt. But he wasn’t playing his natural position. It was more about looking at foye at WLB and seeing how Riley could handle mlb. He failed miserably as he should've. Folks don’t understand how difficult that middle is. Even with all that supposed terrible play the defense only gave up 17 points. With all the penalties and what not. The issue was the offense. And even that wasn’t that much of an issue. Quinn was worried more about the penalties and missed assignments. But pre season is where you work that out. And for the record I didn’t know Quinn said Riley was gonna he tried at all spots. I just watched the game and saw he was playing Middle instead of will. Makes a heck of a difference like you stated. 

I hear you boi, playing the middle is hard..... but...why even play Riley out of his natural position as much as he struggled last year at Will? Makes no sense unless the plan is for him to backup the others. Surely Foye hasn’t already won the position?

TheFatboi likes this

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

I saw enough last year (actually in college), he was overdrafted. His skills are more for special teams and backup LBer. 

His running mate Kendell Beckwith, who was drafted a few picks later by the Bucs, jumped out when I was watching Riley's film. Riley is more athletic but Beckwith is twice the LB Riley is and the season he put up last year as a ROOKIE proved it. It's sometimes you can tell when a player really doesn't have "it' and Riley imo is one of those guys.

Vandy likes this

7 minutes ago, Jerz said:

His running mate Kendell Beckwith, who was drafted a few picks later by the Bucs, jumped out when I was watching Riley's film. Riley is more athletic but Beckwith is twice the LB Riley is and the season he put up last year as a ROOKIE proved it. It's sometimes you can tell when a player really doesn't have "it' and Riley imo is one of those guys.

Unfortunately, Instincts can’t be taught. It’s why Dez Southward (another WTF falcon pick) never made it as a starter.

Jerz #DukeSZN likes this

3 hours ago, atljbo said:

i agree,. Again im not sasying he cant be a bust ... its to early to call it either way.

He def need to step up tho because Foye is atleast showing signs and with Kazee kooking good,.. That 3 safety lineup is looking better.

Again tho.. Its to early to call it.

I remember De'vondre Campbell was a bust.... I remember During Vic Beasley 2nd preseason he looked horrible vs the Dolphins... He was a bust that came out and had a 15.5 sack season.

All im saying is lets give it time

Nah Bro Dre was never a bust. He always flashed. A bust only to the uninitiated.

Jerz #DukeSZN likes this

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

I hear you boi, playing the middle is hard..... but...why even play Riley out of his natural position as much as he struggled last year at Will? Makes no sense unless the plan is for him to backup the others. Surely Foye hasn’t already won the position?

I actually think the plan was to be able to evaluate foye earlier than later and Duke as a potential backup for Debo at Mike. He did that the last 2 seasons with Reynolds. He played will and mike. And wheeler before that played will, mike, and sam. That’s the Quinn way and we should know that by now. He plays guys out if position on purpose. They are not expected to ball out but it’s something he needs to see.

Duke played with the starters in the 1st series. Nobody said a peep about him that series. It wasn’t until the starters left and he moved to MLB and Foye came on at WILL. Of course he’s gonna stick out like a sore thumb. The SS PARKER was making a lot of mistakes too  but nobody was talking about that. Why? Because all eyes were on Duke and most didn’t when recognize he was playing another position. The play or Two before the TD where Riley took a bad angle Parker blew a would be foiled Play by not coming up to disrupt. Leading to a 1st down.

Ppl are SOLEY watching Duke because of last season and not paying  attention to the other mistakes going on. I saw multiple mistakes from EVERYBODY except Kazee. But he knows what he’s doing at FS. Riley doesn’t know what he’s doing at mlb. He played 1 season at wlb amd everybody expects him to be better at a position he doesn’t play. My point is if we really want to evaluate his play watch him with the starters cause he’ll be playing will. We can’t make accurate evaluations of him playing mike.   

This ain’t an excuse for duke at all. He played terrible along with everybody else minus Kazee. It’s perspective. Understand what was going on. For me personally I can only evaluate him at the position he knows. Will. He played one series there and it was a 3 and out and he did his job there. Otherwise an experienced qb like McCown would’ve exposed him. When the starters play an entire quarter then I will know if he got better AT WILL or not. Not did he get better at a position we’ve never seen him suck at before. Lol

Vandy likes this

14 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I actually think the plan was to be able to evaluate foye earlier than later and Duke as a potential backup for Debo at Mike. He did that the last 2 seasons with Reynolds. He played will and mike. And wheeler before that played will, mike, and sam. That’s the Quinn way and we should know that by now. He plays guys out if position on purpose. They are not expected to ball out but it’s something he needs to see.

Duke played with the starters in the 1st series. Nobody said a peep about him that series. It wasn’t until the starters left and he moved to MLB and Foye came on at WILL. Of course he’s gonna stick out like a sore thumb. The SS PARKER was making a lot of mistakes too  but nobody was talking about that. Why? Because all eyes were on Duke and most didn’t when recognize he was playing another position. The play or Two before the TD where Riley took a bad angle Parker blew a would be foiled Play by not coming up to disrupt. Leading to a 1st down.

Ppl are SOLEY watching Duke because of last season and not paying  attention to the other mistakes going on. I saw multiple mistakes from EVERYBODY except Kazee. But he knows what he’s doing at FS. Riley doesn’t know what he’s doing at mlb. He played 1 season at wlb amd everybody expects him to be better at a position he doesn’t play. My point is if we really want to evaluate his play watch him with the starters cause he’ll be playing will. We can’t make accurate evaluations of him playing mike.   

This ain’t an excuse for duke at all. He played terrible along with everybody else minus Kazee. It’s perspective. Understand what was going on. For me personally I can only evaluate him at the position he knows. Will. He played one series there and it was a 3 and out and he did his job there. Otherwise an experienced qb like McCown would’ve exposed him. When the starters play an entire quarter then I will know if he got better AT WILL or not. Not did he get better at a position we’ve never seen him suck at before. Lol

I didn’t even watch the game, so my perspective is from history. I’ve thought for some time Duke would be more valuable to team as a 4th LBer and ST ace rather than as a starter. Injuries will happen, so he can still get plenty of PT.  Like you mentioned Reynolds, plus Ish and WR Hardy have all found their own nitches on team in doing that.  This builds team depth.

So, if that is Quinn’s plan for Riley, I’m all for it. I just don’t see him as our solution at will full-time.

18 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I didn’t even watch the game, so my perspective is from history. I’ve thought for some time Duke would be more valuable to team as a 4th LBer and ST ace rather than as a starter. Injuries will happen, so he can still get plenty of PT.  Like you mentioned Reynolds, plus Ish and WR Hardy have all found their own nitches on team in doing that.  This builds team depth.

So, if that is Quinn’s plan for Riley, I’m all for it. I just don’t see him as our solution at will full-time.

But we don’t know that yet. Because we haven’t seen him play a full quarter with the starters. And you didn’t see the game so I can see how you’re going off history. That makes sense. But I watched it. And I know I know more what’s going on than most here scheme wise and such. He was defiantly playing another position. And Foye was playing WLB. There was only 2 Plays that ppl can really point to with Duke. It was the play he took a Bad Angle to the ball carrier and a crossing route to a TE. But that was the theme of the whole night.

The defense played decent other then those crossing routes. So now you GOTTA know if we have planned for that there wouldn’t be success on crossing routes. The jets qb’s didn’t have to make any difficult throws. And our offense was just dunking and dinking in the 1st half. On purpose. So if anybody is in panic mode after last night I beg them to calm down. If it’s anything Quinn is upset about today it’s all the penalties and poor execution in the first half. Not the outcome of the game.

Ppl forget the 1st preseason game against miami in 2016 ppl were ready to bench Ryan for Schaub. Lmao!!! They take these preseason games too serious and it’s just an evaluation tool. I knew in 98 we were gonna be very good and we didn’t win a single pre season game. Ended up in the SB. 

FentayeJones and Vandy like this

1 hour ago, TheFatboi said:

But we don’t know that yet. Because we haven’t seen him play a full quarter with the starters. And you didn’t see the game so I can see how you’re going off history. That makes sense. But I watched it. And I know I know more what’s going on than most here scheme wise and such. He was defiantly playing another position. And Foye was playing WLB. There was only 2 Plays that ppl can really point to with Duke. It was the play he took a Bad Angle to the ball carrier and a crossing route to a TE. But that was the theme of the whole night.

The defense played decent other then those crossing routes. So now you GOTTA know if we have planned for that there wouldn’t be success on crossing routes. The jets qb’s didn’t have to make any difficult throws. And our offense was just dunking and dinking in the 1st half. On purpose. So if anybody is in panic mode after last night I beg them to calm down. If it’s anything Quinn is upset about today it’s all the penalties and poor execution in the first half. Not the outcome of the game.

Ppl forget the 1st preseason game against miami in 2016 ppl were ready to bench Ryan for Schaub. Lmao!!! They take these preseason games too serious and it’s just an evaluation tool. I knew in 98 we were gonna be very good and we didn’t win a single pre season game. Ended up in the SB. 

I hear you bro. As you know I’m not a panic mode guy, most especially in preseason. Preseason games don’t mean squat to me other than starters working off the rust and then figuring out who’ll make the last 5 spots on team. I seldom even watch preseason games, I get much more info from practices.

I might watch some tape of this game on him, but I will say this...Riley taking bad angles is nothing new, be it from WLB or MLB. 

Jerz #DukeSZN and TheFatboi like this

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

I hear you bro. As you know I’m not a panic mode guy, most especially in preseason. Preseason games don’t mean squat to me other than starters working off the rust and then figuring out who’ll make the last 5 spots on team. I seldom even watch preseason games, I get much more info from practices.

I might watch some tape of this game on him, but I will say this...Riley taking bad angles is nothing new, be it from WLB or MLB. 

That’s true. But taking a bad angle from MLB is different from an Bad angle at WLB. So we don’t know if he’s corrected that a his natural position yet. It’s  no different than a CB that’s used to playing on the left and moves to right. His technique is ABSOLUTELY gonna be bad. Move debo to WLB and see if his angles will be the same. They won’t because he’ll be playing with MLB technique. Allen said going from cornerback to FS he had to train differently because the technique and angles were different. So that’s my thing. Until I see more from WLB I’m not taking one preseason game at mlb serious yet. And I only saw him take the one Bad Angle. And that was because h dropped too deep. By default his angle was gonna be bad. So we’ll see. 

Vandy likes this

12 hours ago, Jerz said:

Mychal Kendricks is getting paid 2.2 mil this season and he looked like a beast against the Giants. It would have been so good if the team solicited his services. He's 27, fast, and is a good tackler. A veteran presence to push Duke and Foye would have paid us dividends.

This

Jerz #DukeSZN likes this