Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FalconPio

Deon Jones has to play his own position and dukes simultaneously

60 posts in this topic

Mychal Kendricks is getting paid 2.2 mil this season and he looked like a beast against the Giants. It would have been so good if the team solicited his services. He's 27, fast, and is a good tackler. A veteran presence to push Duke and Foye would have paid us dividends.

1 minute ago, stizz said:

You're doing mental gymnastics justifying his play. Whiffing on tackles and not being able to shed blocks are the same traits he had last year.

He won't be starting this year and I'm happy he showed that in the first preseason game so Quinn can make the decision quicker. Completely baffling they never brought in more competition to challenge his position for two years in a row. 

I’m not justifying anything. I’m simply telling the truth. They moved Riley to MLB Foye player WLB. It’s that simple. It’s a lot more for him to think about playing another position. He was gonna make a TON of mistakes which he did. But he wasn’t the only one. The whole defense looked sh*tty after the starters left. But it was more for observation than anything else. The coaches wanted to look at different things. Add that there was absolutely zero game planning. The only and I mean THE ONLY player that played worth anything was Kazee. But that’s because he played the position he knows. Everybody else was either a rookie or a new guy like Parker or playing aborget position for observation. It’s quinns 4th season. Y’all should know this by now. He does this every pre season. And it’s not about the player necessarily playing well but seeing what other positions he can play. Quinn likes VERSATILITY in his players. This is the time for him to evaluate what they can do outside of their natural position. My point is don’t look at pre season as how the team looks. More of Quinn evaluating what ELSE his players can do. That’s all I’m saying. Riley had a bad game. Never said he didn’t. But I do know he was playing mlb. So he’s getting a bunch of crap because y’all thought he was playing WLB. Just putting it in perspective. He was SUPPOSED to look bad playing another position he’s not used to. You’ll make a more accurate assessment when the starters play more series and he plays his natural position. All I’m saying. 

Just now, TheFatboi said:

I’m not justifying anything. I’m simply telling the truth. They moved Riley to MLB Foye player WLB. It’s that simple. It’s a lot more for him to think about playing another position. He was gonna make a TON of mistakes which he did. But he wasn’t the only one. The whole defense looked sh*tty after the starters left. But it was more for observation than anything else. The coaches wanted to look at different things. Add that there was absolutely zero game planning. The only and I mean THE ONLY player that played worth anything was Kazee. But that’s because he played the position he knows. Everybody else was either a rookie or a new guy like Parker or playing aborget position for observation. It’s quinns 4th season. Y’all should know this by now. He does this every pre season. And it’s not about the player necessarily playing well but seeing what other positions he can play. Quinn likes VERSATILITY in his players. This is the time for him to evaluate what they can do outside of their natural position. My point is don’t look at pre season as how the team looks. More of Quinn evaluating what ELSE his players can do. That’s all I’m saying. Riley had a bad game. Never said he didn’t. But I do know he was playing mlb. So he’s getting a bunch of crap because y’all thought he was playing WLB. Just putting it in perspective. He was SUPPOSED to look bad playing another position he’s not used to. You’ll make a more accurate assessment when the starters play more series and he plays his natural position. All I’m saying. 

LOL. You know we've had classic back and forths bro, but you really do sound like the guy making excuses for the cheating girlfriend.

He's bad dude, but I respect your opinion. 

12 minutes ago, Jerz said:

Mychal Kendricks is getting paid 2.2 mil this season and he looked like a beast against the Giants. It would have been so good if the team solicited his services. He's 27, fast, and is a good tackler. A veteran presence to push Duke and Foye would have paid us dividends.

I knew we were in trouble when that Yates dude reported how many rookies we had compared to everyone else. Our starters our quality. Our depth at WR and CB are quality. Everything beyond that is suspect.

Jerz #Quinning likes this

12 minutes ago, Jerz said:

It really doesn’t matter because we play nickle 70% of the time which means Riley won’t be on the field like that. It’ll be Debo and Campbell mostly. Especially if the offense gets back to getting 2 score leads early. Teams will have to pass more. Which is how we’re built. To play with leads. The games we’ll see more of Riley would be against primarily running teams. Our division starts the game with 3 wr’s so we’d be in nickle to start the game. Debo/Campbell. 

2 minutes ago, stizz said:

I knew we were in trouble when that Yates dude reported how many rookies we had compared to everyone else. Our starters our quality. Our depth at WR and CB are quality. Everything beyond that is suspect.

Yeah he said we had like 30 rookies on the roster compared to something like 17 on the Jets. I don't really care about the outcome but I just hate how every preseason the trenches get bullied. Our backup OL never creates any holes for the RB's so it's hard to evaluate what you have with them. The DL gets gashed in the run and generates no passrush. But hey its preseason **** it.

2 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

It really doesn’t matter because we play nickle 70% of the time which means Riley won’t be on the field like that. It’ll be Debo and Campbell mostly. Especially if the offense gets back to getting 2 score leads early. Teams will have to pass more. Which is how we’re built. To play with leads. The games we’ll see more of Riley would be against primarily running teams. Our division starts the game with 3 wr’s so we’d be in nickle to start the game. Debo/Campbell. 

Even still having a guy like Kendricks as a backup or someone to rotate would be huge for the defense. A full season of Debo and Campbell is not guaranteed so having Kendricks in the reserves is excellent depth.

Kendricks is even a great nickle LB who could definitely rotate with Campbell if he's having a bad game.

MD-FalconFan13 likes this

4 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I’m not justifying anything. I’m simply telling the truth. They moved Riley to MLB Foye player WLB. It’s that simple. It’s a lot more for him to think about playing another position. He was gonna make a TON of mistakes which he did...

...Riley had a bad game. Never said he didn’t. But I do know he was playing mlb. So he’s getting a bunch of crap because y’all thought he was playing WLB. Just putting it in perspective. He was SUPPOSED to look bad playing another position he’s not used to. You’ll make a more accurate assessment when the starters play more series and he plays his natural position. All I’m saying. 

I was kinda feel'in what you were trying to say but I think a reality is setting in.  Duke hasn't looked all that great in any of his outings.  In fact you have to go back to early preseason last year to find tape that doesn't make him look like a practice squad guy with high upside.  I was one who thought Duke would be a good fit before we drafted him.  Dude has all the tools but just isn't able to use them in regulation.  Also he is not supposed to look bad at MLB.  DQ has obviously been using him there in practice or he wouldn't have put him there just to fail.  Lastly, and far more concerning to me is the continued poor tackling which is position neutral.

5 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

Lastly, and far more concerning to me is the continued poor tackling which is position neutral.

Lol this. Duke is so easily shook out of his shoes or he just straight up approaches a potential tackle so gingerly. His physicality is pillow soft. Him playing at MLB you can still evaluate specific traits that you don't forget just moving over a spot. It's not like he switched from WLB to LG lol

2 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Duke was playing MLB. Not WLB where he’s been. So what you all was seeing tonight was Quinn being able to try Riley at a other position while observing Foye at WILL, which they BOTH play. So relax a little bit. He was playing another position tonight. He STARTED the game at WLB and the starting defense got a 3 and out. The rest of the game was observation. 

I wasn’t going to say anything, but it was said for a while that Riley would be tried in all three positions. As we know, MLB is hard. Lol. Will is tough, but MLB is crazy. Riley didn’t do well at all, but it’s the first preseason game. We have a ways to go before I have seen enough 

13 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I wasn’t going to say anything, but it was said for a while that Riley would be tried in all three positions. As we know, MLB is hard. Lol. Will is tough, but MLB is crazy. Riley didn’t do well at all, but it’s the first preseason game. We have a ways to go before I have seen enough 

Exactly bro! He stunk it up no doubt. But he wasn’t playing his natural position. It was more about looking at foye at WLB and seeing how Riley could handle mlb. He failed miserably as he should've. Folks don’t understand how difficult that middle is. Even with all that supposed terrible play the defense only gave up 17 points. With all the penalties and what not. The issue was the offense. And even that wasn’t that much of an issue. Quinn was worried more about the penalties and missed assignments. But pre season is where you work that out. And for the record I didn’t know Quinn said Riley was gonna he tried at all spots. I just watched the game and saw he was playing Middle instead of will. Makes a heck of a difference like you stated. 

No.11 and Knight of God like this

9 hours ago, GET-ME-A-DB-TD said:

Oh no. He's got like 150yds rushing tonight. Unfortunately it's ALL lateral yardage. That dude looks horrible. What scares me is how much hype he got in camp... Makes ya wonder...the whole offense got hype in camp and we'll...on to week 2 of preseason.

Um...hype? That's a stretch.

9 hours ago, FalconsFanSince194eva said:

The first TD was blatantly awful.

I rewatched that play this morning and you are so right. The whole time Crowell was crossing in front of him it’s like he didn’t even see him coming cause he was like a deer in headlights staring at the QB. Then when he did see him AFTER he caught the ball, instead of cutting back and taking the angle to run him down he tries to go str8 after him and chase him down. Really? It’s like he’s trying to rely on some ability he doesn’t realize he doesn’t even have. Duke just seems to be lost out there a lot not knowing where he is supposed to be. 

17 minutes ago, The Vent King said:

I rewatched that play this morning and you are so right. The whole time Crowell was crossing in front of him it’s like he didn’t even see him coming cause he was like a deer in headlights staring at the QB. Then when he did see him AFTER he caught the ball, instead of cutting back and taking the angle to run him down he tries to go str8 after him and chase him down. Really? It’s like he’s trying to rely on some ability he doesn’t realize he doesn’t even have. Duke just seems to be lost out there a lot not knowing where he is supposed to be. 

That angle was straight garbage. Worst defensive play I can remember in quite some time. 

The Vent King likes this

1 hour ago, TheFatboi said:

Exactly bro! He stunk it up no doubt. But he wasn’t playing his natural position. It was more about looking at foye at WLB and seeing how Riley could handle mlb. He failed miserably as he should've. Folks don’t understand how difficult that middle is. Even with all that supposed terrible play the defense only gave up 17 points. With all the penalties and what not. The issue was the offense. And even that wasn’t that much of an issue. Quinn was worried more about the penalties and missed assignments. But pre season is where you work that out. And for the record I didn’t know Quinn said Riley was gonna he tried at all spots. I just watched the game and saw he was playing Middle instead of will. Makes a heck of a difference like you stated. 

He better be careful or he will get himself cut. There will be nothing us fans could do either.

Just now, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

He hasn't even had a full year.

i agree,. Again im not sasying he cant be a bust ... its to early to call it either way.

He def need to step up tho because Foye is atleast showing signs and with Kazee kooking good,.. That 3 safety lineup is looking better.

Again tho.. Its to early to call it.

I remember De'vondre Campbell was a bust.... I remember During Vic Beasley 2nd preseason he looked horrible vs the Dolphins... He was a bust that came out and had a 15.5 sack season.

All im saying is lets give it time

10 minutes ago, atljbo said:

i agree,. Again im not sasying he cant be a bust ... its to early to call it either way.

He def need to step up tho because Foye is atleast showing signs and with Kazee kooking good,.. That 3 safety lineup is looking better.

Again tho.. Its to early to call it.

I remember De'vondre Campbell was a bust.... I remember During Vic Beasley 2nd preseason he looked horrible vs the Dolphins... He was a bust that came out and had a 15.5 sack season.

All im saying is lets give it time

I was ready to call Riley a bust last year, but I was explained a few things and understood.

Vandy likes this

3 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I was ready to call Riley a bust last year, but I was explained a few things and understood.

I just dont think you can call a 3rd rounder a bust after 1 year... Lastnight def wasnt good tho like last year

Knight of God likes this

I agree we need to give it time, and he was playing out of position, but I didn’t see one positive play from him. He was slow to diagnose and just wasn’t physical. Especially in coverage he needs to be more aware of players crossing into his zone. I see a lot of Worrilow in his game. Has the tools, but isn’t quite there as far as feel for the game. 

Maybe he’s just overthinking because I see a lot of hesitation on his part. I just want to see him attack the ball and make decisive downhill plays. His awareness and ability to attack the ball really needs work. Maybe it’s going to take more reps for him to get comfortable so that’s what the preseason is for. 

Mid-Nite-Toker likes this

1 hour ago, atljbo said:

I just dont think you can call a 3rd rounder a bust after 1 year... Lastnight def wasnt good tho like last year

You shouldn't, but if you know what you're looking at you can't help thinking it.

JD dirtybird21 and Vandy like this

The greater tragedy was that we had Beasley actually playing Riley's position last year - our QB pressure suffered tremendously in order to save our middle defense.

Vandy likes this

4 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I saw enough last year (actually in college), he was overdrafted. His skills are more for special teams and backup LBer.