Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

falconsrus

Free answed my Question

27 posts in this topic

It's gonna be a long year with this rule. Free is a small guy that plays smashmouth so it's a huge detriment to him. Hopefully he can make it work

3 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

It's gonna be a long year with this rule. Free is a small guy that plays smashmouth so it's a huge detriment to him. Hopefully he can make it work

Majority of players are extremely unhappy with this new rule. It won't take many penalty-ruined games before they will start raising cane about this and get it tamed down some.

11 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Majority of players are extremely unhappy with this new rule. It won't take many penalty-ruined games before they will start raising cane about this and get it tamed down some.

so you're saying we might see a majority of players go 'sean payton' on the league about calls???:ninja::ninja:

PokerSteve likes this

All it would take is all former, current, and future players agreeing that they will never sue the NFL and these rules can go away.  Until that happens, the league has to look like they’re doing something.

Tim Mazetti likes this

7 minutes ago, caponine said:

Not looking good , hope Freeman can change the way he runs, or it will be a long season

Highly doubt this will happen.  Like he said, "muscle memory".  When you've been running with a certain style since you were a kid, it's hard to change.  Especially when you want to punish the defender coming to tackle you.  I guess we can expect some flags on Free this season.

14 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Exactly, I really don’t think it will be an issue. Maybe at first, but it will calm down

PokerSteve likes this

Those 15 yard penalties are going to hurt. I think for most teams this season they will run more Pass plays and let the Defenders get hit for that penalty. I just see the league becoming even more of a Passing league, and a lot less running plays.

Everybody said the rule change in 2013 was going to be a problem when they made it illegal for a RB or defender to lead with the helmet.  Never saw a RB called for it once.  This is much ado.

Stryka likes this

I read somewhere that league officials watched something like 3,000 plays from last year and would have flagged only 3 of them under this rule.

I don’t think it’s going to affect much.

10 minutes ago, Beef said:

I read somewhere that league officials watched something like 3,000 plays from last year and would have flagged only 3 of them under this rule.

I hope they watched Rico’s hit from the Tampa game and realized it shouldn’t have been flagged.

PokerSteve likes this

I love Freeman. He is a warrior. I think he's a superior back to Coleman. But he's already on his 2nd or 3rd concussion. I'm not sure how much longer he will be able to play with his current style anyway.

Free needs to go binge watch film of Warrick Dunn. Same alma mater, roughly same size, similar style and field vision. Warrick played FOURTEEN years in the NFL as an undersized running back.

Warrick would occasionally go in head first and take a direct hit if it was a crucial down and he needed to move the chains. I saw him dive head first sideways into a free blitzer to save Mike Vick's a$$ one time. He caught a stinger and had to sit a few plays. So you'd never question Warrick's courage. Sometimes, you gotta sacrifice. 

But you'd never question Warrick's results either. If he was in open field and the markers had been achieved, he NEVER took a direct hit. He was incredibly quick at maneuvering his upper body as the tackler approached to avoid helmet to helmet contact. And it worked for him. He played longer. He retired healthier.

Falconcheff and Stryka like this

13 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

I love Freeman. He is a warrior. I think he's a superior back to Coleman. But he's already on his 2nd or 3rd concussion. I'm not sure how much longer he will be able to play with his current style anyway.

Free needs to go binge watch film of Warrick Dunn. Same alma mater, roughly same size, similar style and field vision. Warrick played FOURTEEN years in the NFL as an undersized running back.

Warrick would occasionally go in head first and take a direct hit if it was a crucial down and he needed to move the chains. I saw him dive head first sideways into a free blitzer to save Mike Vick's a$$ one time. He caught a stinger and had to sit a few plays. So you'd never question Warrick's courage. Sometimes, you gotta sacrifice. 

But you'd never question Warrick's results either. If he was in open field and the markers had been achieved, he NEVER took a direct hit. He was incredibly quick at maneuvering his upper body as the tackler approached to avoid helmet to helmet contact. And it worked for him. He played longer. He retired healthier.

Warrick Dunn was 180 lbs soaking wet.  Freeman is 205.  Much different body type even if similar style.  Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith were both 5/8 205lbs when then came in the league.  They didnt leave much more than a few lbs heavier. Freeman can last if he conditions his body. RBs are going to get hit. The big hits are from LBs and DL.  He doesnt duck his head for those guys.  He is usually delivering the contact with his shoulder on DBs.  He will be fine.  Freeman will have a job for a long time because of 2 things.  Compact body and vision.  Sure, he has other attributes but those 2 make him hard to tackle. Even when he isnt as fast or quick as he is now he will be able to be productive with those. 

6 hours ago, NOVAFalconFan said:

All it would take is all former, current, and future players agreeing that they will never sue the NFL and these rules can go away.  Until that happens, the league has to look like they’re doing something.

Interesting take.:tiphat:

5 hours ago, Beef said:

HOF game?

6 hours ago, NOVAFalconFan said:

Actually, the concussion settlement precludes future lawsuits against the league. This is an overreaction to the league being caught red handed putting their players at risk by lying and saying that science determined that concussions had no long-term health consequences. I'm sure it has something to do with Congress grandstanding and holding hearings a few years ago.

25 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Actually, the concussion settlement precludes future lawsuits against the league. This is an overreaction to the league being caught red handed putting their players at risk by lying and saying that science determined that concussions had no long-term health consequences. I'm sure it has something to do with Congress grandstanding and holding hearings a few years ago.

You know that's so unenforceable as to be meaningless.  Especially if the league doesn't give the appearance of doing something.  We'd still be using asbestos in new construction if it worked that way.

Just now, NOVAFalconFan said:

You know that's so unenforceable as to be meaningless.  Especially if the league doesn't give the appearance of doing something.  We'd still be using asbestos in new construction if it worked that way.

It's not unenforceable. Whereas the players were duped before about the dangers of head injuries, they're being deluged with information now and required to sign a waiver in order to play. Rules changes like this one insulate the NFL from liability even if someone finds a way to have his lawsuit heard.

By the way, the EPA is easing restrictions against asbestos usage in future construction and you can bet you butt there will be protections against manufacturers and builders who use it. 

6 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

It's not unenforceable. Whereas the players were duped before about the dangers of head injuries, they're being deluged with information now and required to sign a waiver in order to play. Rules changes like this one insulate the NFL from liability even if someone finds a way to have his lawsuit heard.

By the way, the EPA is easing restrictions against asbestos usage in future construction and you can bet you butt there will be protections against manufacturers and builders who use it. 

So you agree that the rule change is to give the appearance of doing something as a potential shield against future litigation, then?  That's what I said.