2018 1st Official Depth Chart Released!

47 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, athell said:

The ones that stick out to me...

Schweitzer over Fusco

Ortiz @ FB

Oluokun already up at 2nd string LB

Hardy at starting KR and PR

This can obviously change many many times, but interesting to see how we start out this year.

Im good with Hardy returning..actually very excited to see this 

athell likes this

DC doesn’t mean too much this early. Incumbents and experienced vets generally get benefit of the doubt early on.

21 hours ago, LightningFalcon said:

Our 2 deep defense (starters and their first backup) is so stacked. Speed and athleticism everywhere.

ON paper ok

I  see several unresolved issues

Senat, Oluolun, Oliver are unknown rookies commodities

E. Smith  is an unknown commodity UDFA

2nd year Kazee and Riley(starter) aren't proven yet

Will Crawford return to top form???

22 hours ago, JC Falcon said:

Logan Paulson at #2 TE over Saubert?  Heard a lot of Saubert , not much on Paulson. Did I miss something there?

Alex Gray at #4 behind Saubert. Is he still restricted to the PS this year as he was last?

22 hours ago, JC Falcon said:

Logan Paulson at #2 TE over Saubert?  Heard a lot of Saubert , not much on Paulson. Did I miss something there?

Alex Gray at #4 behind Saubert. Is he still restricted to the PS this year as he was last?

Edited by Boothy20
DUPLICATED

22 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I dont care who returns kicks so long as they don't pull the Andre Roberts patented "I'm gonna take the ball out from 7 yards deep and get us to the 18" move. 

Absolutely infuriating. 

What got me was that it happened all year and the coaching staff seemingly did nothing about it. 

What are coaches for if not to correct poor tendencies? 

Kaptain Krazy likes this

Schweitzer ran with the starters more, so that seems right. Also, Fusco will benefit from getting more run in the offense with the second team as they will be in much longer than the starters this game. Gives him and the coaches more to look at/learn.

2 hours ago, Boothy20 said:

I think he's still restricted  WHEN the Season starts---not during pre-season

3 hours ago, delaigle said:

ON paper ok

I  see several unresolved issues

Senat, Oluolun, Oliver are unknown rookies commodities

E. Smith  is an unknown commodity UDFA

2nd year Kazee and Riley(starter) aren't proven yet

Will Crawford return to top form???

We are much better off than most other teams. Man, don’t remember the last time I was that confident in our roster top to bottom...maybe never.

On 8/7/2018 at 0:33 PM, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I dont care who returns kicks so long as they don't pull the Andre Roberts patented "I'm gonna take the ball out from 7 yards deep and get us to the 18" move. 

Absolutely infuriating. 

We need a returner to shine in both KR/PR, it's been a while.  Hopefully, all our ST's shine.  

5 hours ago, octoslash said:

What got me was that it happened all year and the coaching staff seemingly did nothing about it. 

What are coaches for if not to correct poor tendencies? 

I dont know if any single small aspect of a Falcons team has ever bothered me more than Andre Roberts' poor performance last year. 

If I were DQ and Co, I would have mandated a knee on every return. That was arguably the biggest reason we had the worst starting LOS in the league last year. 

On 8/8/2018 at 2:08 PM, 1989Fan said:

We are much better off than most other teams. Man, don’t remember the last time I was that confident in our roster top to bottom...maybe never.

I heard the same thing about Perry, Southward, Konz, Mike Johnson etc

my point was nothing is proven YET

GANDI likes this

On 8/7/2018 at 1:35 PM, falconsfan4life3 said:

So if Senat can beat out McClain our whole starting defense would be homegrown and every single one drafted in the last 5 years. Crazy. 

TROFF’D!!!

On 8/7/2018 at 1:13 PM, JC Falcon said:

Paulson got most of first team reps. Very rarely Saubert was with first team. Still early but Paulson seems to be ahead.

JC Falcon likes this

On 8/7/2018 at 0:26 PM, athell said:

The ones that stick out to me...

Schweitzer over Fusco

Ortiz @ FB

Oluokun already up at 2nd string LB

Hardy at starting KR and PR

This can obviously change many many times, but interesting to see how we start out this year.

We signed a wrestler for FB?

On 8/8/2018 at 4:32 PM, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I dont know if any single small aspect of a Falcons team has ever bothered me more than Andre Roberts' poor performance last year. 

If I were DQ and Co, I would have mandated a knee on every return. That was arguably the biggest reason we had the worst starting LOS in the league last year. 

Consider this, 

Weems had just as poor of a performance the year before which is why we sought Andre Roberts in FA.

He made a career as one of the best returners in the NFL and that’s why we added him.

Him having a down year is more an indictment on our overall poor special teams performance last season and lack of a positive return game in quite some time.

The one constant.... Armstrong, is who your anger should be directed towards.

NeonDeion and GANDI like this

Good lord our 2nd string D is so good from top to bottom. I think we could beat bad teams like Buff or the Browns with just the second string. 

On 8/7/2018 at 0:55 PM, Bobby.Digital said:

Pretty much. 

The only thing that's a bit telling is Ortiz over McNitt. 

Quinn usually gives the nod to the veterans for the depth chart but will rotate who starts in preseason to determine who will be the guy. 

15 hours ago, delaigle said:

I heard the same thing about Perry, Southward, Konz, Mike Johnson etc

my point was nothing is proven YET

I hear you...I just saying that the roster feels deep enough that we won’t have to rely on unproven guys much. There aren’t any rookies that we absolutely must rely on to start. 

On 8/10/2018 at 0:17 AM, LightningDawg58 said:

Consider this, 

Weems had just as poor of a performance the year before which is why we sought Andre Roberts in FA.

He made a career as one of the best returners in the NFL and that’s why we added him.

Him having a down year is more an indictment on our overall poor special teams performance last season and lack of a positive return game in quite some time.

The one constant.... Armstrong, is who your anger should be directed towards.

Weems wasnt very good either. At least not by the time he was back here. 

I dont know enough about special teams coaching to credibly say whether Armstrong is doing a good job or not. I know enough about football to know that Andre Roberts was really bad last year. 

12 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Weems wasnt very good either. At least not by the time he was back here. 

I dont know enough about special teams coaching to credibly say whether Armstrong is doing a good job or not. I know enough about football to know that Andre Roberts was really bad last year. 

It just bugs me when people harp on the returner when 80% of his good returns got called back because of illegal block in the back. I mean that honestly hurt us more than anything else on special teams. It happened again against the Jets. You can almost bank on a flag occurring on 75% of the returns.

Just now, LightningDawg58 said:

It just bugs me when people harp on the returner when 80% of his good returns got called back because of illegal block in the back. I mean that honestly hurt us more than anything else on special teams. It happened again against the Jets. You can almost bank on a flag occurring on 75% of the returns.

You know what that also suggests?

That Andre Roberts couldnt break a decent return unless he got an illegal block. 

Dude was awful. There may be other structural issues at play. But he was an awful decision maker last year.