athell

2018 1st Official Depth Chart Released!

47 posts in this topic

The ones that stick out to me...

Schweitzer over Fusco

Ortiz @ FB

Oluokun already up at 2nd string LB

Hardy at starting KR and PR

This can obviously change many many times, but interesting to see how we start out this year.

Edited by athell

20 minutes ago, athell said:

The ones that stick out to me...

Schweitzer over Fusco

Ortiz @ FB

Oluokun already up at 2nd string LB

Hardy at starting KR and PR

This can obviously change many many times, but interesting to see how we start out this year.

Oluokun up to 2nd string might surprise some but not me...I been trying to tell folks he coming..but like you said its still early

Edited by RING OF HONOR
shock, papachaz, NeonDeion and 6 others like this

Just now, RING OF HONOR said:

Oluokun up to 2nd string might surprise some but not me...I been trying to tell folks be coming..but like you said its still early

He is turning heads in camp.  The hype train was rolling after the draft, but it is picking up steam.  At this point, I'm about to expect big things from the young man.  Especially if they start giving Campbell reps at DE, his number will be called much more.

For those too lazy to click (click anyway, support our team's site!)

It’s important to remember that this is just the first depth chart of the preseason, and it will undoubtedly change in the coming weeks as the coaching staff evaluates the players against live competition and roster cuts are eventually made.

Here is the first depth chart of the preseason for the Falcons:

Offense_Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 11.10.00 AM

Defense_Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 11.10.23 AM

Special-Teams_Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 11.10.45 AM

There are a few immediate observations to be gleaned from this first depth chart.

• Wes Schweitzer is listed as the starting right guard with Brandon Fusco listed as his primary backup
  • Calvin Ridley is currently listed behind Mohamed Sanu.
  • Ricky Ortiz is listed as the starting fullback with Luke McNitt behind him.
  • Rookie Ito Smith is listed as the third-string running back.
  • Rookie quarterback Kurt Benkert is ahead of Garrett Grayson.
  • Terrell McClain and Grady Jarrett are listed as the starting defensive tackles with rookie Deadrin Senat and Jack Crawford backing them up.
  • Rookie linebacker Foyesade Oluokun is listed as De’Vondre Campbell’s primary backup.
  • Rookie cornerback Isaiah Oliver is the primary backup for Robert Alford.
shock, RING OF HONOR and Drew4719 like this

Just now, athell said:

He is turning heads in camp.  The hype train was rolling after the draft, but it is picking up steam.  At this point, I'm about to expect big things from the young man.  Especially if they start giving Campbell reps at DE, his number will be called much more.

For sho....I heard DQ saying yesterday that Riley looks like he's making a jump from last year...but Ive also heard that Riley looks like **** so far....I cant wait to see for myself...starting Friday..

Drew4719 and athell like this

11 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

For sho....I heard DQ saying yesterday that Riley looks like he's making a jump from last year...but Ive also heard that Riley looks like **** so far....I cant wait to see for myself...starting Friday..

Yeah I really wish someone would confirm either one about duke 

RING OF HONOR likes this

2 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

It doesn't mean anything at this point. Mainly paying respects to incumbent starters and vets.

Pretty much. 

The only thing that's a bit telling is Ortiz over McNitt. 

Edited by Bobby.Digital

I don't believe the Schweitzer ahead of Fusco means anything just yet - they have barely practiced - Schweitzer started last year and it is just a starting point meaning the position must be earned by the new guy if the talent level is close.

ShadyRef likes this

Our 2 deep defense (starters and their first backup) is so stacked. Speed and athleticism everywhere.

Edited by LightningFalcon

How does everyone feel about the FO not giving Riley much competition for his spot after his performance last year?

From what we've seen from TC highlights, he's still having issues shedding blocks and he got shook out of his boots by a Udfa. I hope he turns it around, but this is not the year to have our fingers crossed and hope a guy turns it around. 

1 hour ago, falconsfan4life3 said:

So if Senat can beat out McClain our whole starting defense would be homegrown and every single one drafted in the last 5 years. Crazy. 

Mike Smith who didn't really know what type of player he wanted versus Dan Quinn, who knows exactly the player to target to fit his system.

2 hours ago, JC Falcon said:

Logan Paulson at #2 TE over Saubert?  Heard a lot of Saubert , not much on Paulson. Did I miss something there?

Toilolo was our second TE last season so the premium must be on blocking. if that's the case Paulson got some big shoes to fill

JC Falcon and Tim Mazetti like this

26 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

Toilolo was our second TE last season so the premium must be on blocking. if that's the case Paulson got some big shoes to fill

Paulson blows Toilolo out of the water in the blocking department.  He is one of the better blocking TE's in the league...

Unless you are referencing his shoe size since he was like 18 feet tall...then yes...he has big shoes to fill :)

Edited by athell
PokerSteve likes this

4 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I dont care who returns kicks so long as they don't pull the Andre Roberts patented "I'm gonna take the ball out from 7 yards deep and get us to the 18" move. 

Absolutely infuriating. 

yep, saw that in the super bowl, and all year in '16 too. absolutely infuriating

PokerSteve and athell like this