Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sidecar Falcon

The Worst NFL Coaching Hire: Bobby Petrino

75 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, VTCrunkler said:

thanks 567 for ripping open an old wound.  I couldn't talk to anyone for a couple days after that game.   Believe it or not, Matt Ryan led BC to the Acc title game that year..which has never happened before and only once since then.  We (VT) payed them back in the acc title game.  

I saw this all along.  I saw Matt Ryan play 5 or 6 games that season.  I saw the leadership.  I wanted two things:  I didn't want Carolina to pick him up that year, and I was laughing at all the naysayers who said he threw too many pics.

I have a good reason to hate him forever after this game, but I know how good a player he was back then.  I would want absolutely no one to be "my qb" than Matt Ryan.  Good guy with a tremendous work ethic.  

Yep I remember. VT beat the snot out of them in that championship game. BC hasn't done much of anything since Ryan left.

VTCrunkler likes this

On 8/4/2018 at 1:03 PM, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Quitrino was turrible but hiring The Swamp Fox for a second time in 1987 was worse.

I was just 11 turning 12 then.  What WAS all that about??? Hiring a bad coach again. I know it was the Clampetts but ****!

10 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

I was just 11 turning 12 then.  What WAS all that about??? Hiring a bad coach again. I know it was the Clampetts but ****!

No one wanted the job. The Falcons couldn't give the job away. The franchise was at an all-time low and it didn't seem like there was any hope that it would ever turn around. Aside from a couple of fluky seasons in 1991 and 1995 the Falcons had one of the worst stretches of football in NFL history.

• 1983 = 7-9 (LAST)
  • 1984 = 4-12 (LAST)
  • 1985 = 4-12 (LAST)
  • 1986 = 7-8-1
  • 1987 = 3-12 (LAST)
  • 1988 = 5-11 (LAST)
  • 1989 = 3-13 (LAST)
  • 1990 = 5-11 (LAST)
  • 1991 = 10-6 (1-1)
  • 1992 = 6-10
  • 1993 = 6-10
  • 1994 = 7-9
  • 1995 = 9-7 (0-1)
  • 1996 = 3-13
  • 1997 = 7-9

What the Browns deal with every year. That's what the Falcons dealt with. The fans that lived through that and stayed loyal. Those are real fans.

octoslash, Tim Mazetti and putnam6 like this

3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

No one wanted the job. The Falcons couldn't give the job away. The franchise was at an all-time low and it didn't seem like there was any hope that it would ever turn around. Aside from a couple of fluky seasons in 1991 and 1995 the Falcons had one of the worst stretches of football in NFL history.

• 1983 = 7-9 (LAST)
  • 1984 = 4-12 (LAST)
  • 1985 = 4-12 (LAST)
  • 1986 = 7-8-1
  • 1987 = 3-12 (LAST)
  • 1988 = 5-11 (LAST)
  • 1989 = 3-13 (LAST)
  • 1990 = 5-11 (LAST)
  • 1991 = 10-6 (1-1)
  • 1992 = 6-10
  • 1993 = 6-10
  • 1994 = 7-9
  • 1995 = 9-7 (0-1)
  • 1996 = 3-13
  • 1997 = 7-9

What the Browns deal with every year. That's what the Falcons dealt with. The fans that lived through that and stayed loyal. Those are real fans.

You see those records during the 80s?  THAT was my childhood.  Yes we were a horrid franchise. You’re right those of us that stayed true are real fans.

Has Petrino ever once expressed remorse or regret for how he shat all over this organization?

I mean, Vick did, and people forgave him, myself included.  But to my knowledge Petrino just ran away and is the same scum-sucking bucket of pig s**t that he's always been. 

Hey Bobby, suck a D.

21 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

• 1983 = 7-9 (LAST)
  • 1984 = 4-12 (LAST)
  • 1985 = 4-12 (LAST)
  • 1986 = 7-8-1
  • 1987 = 3-12 (LAST)
  • 1988 = 5-11 (LAST)
  • 1989 = 3-13 (LAST)
  • 1990 = 5-11 (LAST)
  • 1991 = 10-6 (1-1)
  • 1992 = 6-10
  • 1993 = 6-10
  • 1994 = 7-9
  • 1995 = 9-7 (0-1)
  • 1996 = 3-13
  • 1997 = 7-9

I had season tickets most of those years lol.

Week Listing GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

On 8/4/2018 at 0:21 PM, NeonDeion said:

Petrino got us Ryan. Talk about turning sh*t into a diamond 

And getting destroyed by Green bay in the 2010 playoffs got us Julio. Another turd turning into a diamond. If we would have lost 24-21 or something like that we never would have got Julio.

43 minutes ago, octoslash said:

:lol:.

Dam, we went through some downright miserable and embarrassing times. I would tell people that I was a Falcon fan and their eyes glossed over.

VTCrunkler and octoslash like this

On 8/4/2018 at 2:58 PM, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Hecker was awful but in his defense he had an expansion team with dozens of stiffs on the roster. The only players he had were Claude, Nobis and Reaves. TATF wouldn't have been able to handle those rosters. Trust me. Van Brocklin took his job and improved the team but he had a few more decent players like Van Note, Mitchell, Zook and Kunz. I wish someone could find a vid of Van Brocklin walking the sidelines smoking cigarettes and talking sht. He had some great quotes too. Found a vid.

Thanks for posting that video. That is the first Falcon win I can remember. That was Lee Calland who made the interception to save the game.

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

I was there when the 0-13 Dolts came in and beat us with a blocked punt.  But it was worse than that.

They actually overcame TWO-FOURTEEN-POINT deficits to do so.  The only good thing about that day was the sun was shining.

Dan Henning, god bless him.....well, to put it bluntly, Henning was the type of head coach who'd reach into a barrel  of p**sy and pull out an a**hole. 

Tim Mazetti and Godzilla1985 like this

10 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I was there when the 0-13 Dolts came in and beat us with a blocked punt.  But it was worse than that.

They actually overcame TWO-FOURTEEN-POINT deficits to do so.  The only good thing about that day was the sun was shining.

Dan Henning, god bless him.....well, to put it bluntly, Henning was the type of head coach who'd reach into a barrel  of p**sy and pull out an a**hole. 

Wow. I remember that. How embarrassing.

That game defined the Atlanta Falcons.

5 hours ago, octoslash said:

STH 78-94 guess the best thing 83 or so they didn't tease you, you knew they were gonna stink it was just a question of how bad. You would be talking next years draft  seriously in October, then one year you get the #1 pick and its really not their fault cause Bruce was highly rated coming out of Auburn. And early on its kind of obvious he isn't LT and by his 4th season he getting playing at TE.

On 8/4/2018 at 0:01 PM, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

By far the worst thing to happen to this franchise. Petrino was cowardly and scummy. Joey Harrington was brighter spot than this turd.

Bobby Petrino was not only the worst coaching hire in Falcon history, he was the worst hire in NFL history. And his legacy followed him back to college when he wrecked his motor cycle with his college girlfriend/employee riding on the back of it. He is a complete scumbag, always has been and always will be.

Every and All NFL writers have roasted him for what he did to Arthur Blank and the Falcon organization, it was a cardinal sin in the sports world what he did. Unforgiveable. His legacy should burn in **** with him after he departs this earth.

Godzilla1985 likes this

1 hour ago, putnam6 said:

STH 78-94 guess the best thing 83 or so they didn't tease you, you knew they were gonna stink it was just a question of how bad. You would be talking next years draft  seriously in October, then one year you get the #1 pick and its really not their fault cause Bruce was highly rated coming out of Auburn. And early on its kind of obvious he isn't LT and by his 4th season he getting playing at TE.

Bruce was drafted as a DE because that is what he played in college. And his first couple of years wasn't all that bad. His first 2 years in the NFL he had 6 sacks each year, 4 total forced fumbles, and had 3 total interceptions. He just was never HOF 1st round level. He actually ended up playing 11 years in NFL, mostly for bad football teams with the Raiders.

1 hour ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

Bobby Petrino was not only the worst coaching hire in Falcon history, he was the worst hire in NFL history. And his legacy followed him back to college when he wrecked his motor cycle with his college girlfriend/employee riding on the back of it. He is a complete scumbag, always has been and always will be.

Every and All NFL writers have roasted him for what he did to Arthur Blank and the Falcon organization, it was a cardinal sin in the sports world what he did. Unforgiveable. His legacy should burn in **** with him after he departs this earth.

No NFL higher was worse than the Jets hiring Lou Holtz. Did anyone really expect grown men getting paid to listen to and obey a guy that talks like Donald Duck? Just like Petrino, Holtz quit after only 13 games.

8 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

No NFL higher was worse than the Jets hiring Lou Holtz. Did anyone really expect grown men getting paid to listen to and obey a guy that talks like Donald Duck? Just like Petrino, Holtz quit after only 13 games.

Falconsfan567 likes this

1 hour ago, Dunn-Vick-Duckett said:

Well said Coach Zimmerman! Sure 2007 was a long time ago, but Petrino can still go sit in traffic

Mike Zimmerman, our Defensive Coordinator at that time, called Petrino out appropriately for putting all the coaches out of work. What Petrino did hurt countless families. Zimmerman survived and finally became one of the best NFL coaches in the league now.

1 hour ago, Dunn-Vick-Duckett said:

Well said Coach Zimmerman! Sure 2007 was a long time ago, but Petrino can still go sit in traffic

1 minute ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

Mike Zimmerman, our Defensive Coordinator at that time, called Petrino out appropriately for putting all the coaches out of work. What Petrino did hurt countless families. Zimmerman survived and finally became one of the best NFL coaches in the league now.

Zimmer!!

20 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

We shoulda promoted Zimmer, either way hes one of my fav coaches now after what he said about Petrino

Definitely wish we would have kept him!!