Sidecar Falcon

The Worst NFL Coaching Hire: Bobby Petrino

75 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

You found a classic there, complete with Norm telling Harmon Wages, "time to grow up." Good times.

Started out a Packer fan, switched to the Rams, then my pops took me to a Falcon game in 1970. At the time I wanted to be a RB. Harmon went off on PIT, we won and I've been a Falcon ever since. Going into my 49th year. Need rest.

PokerSteve likes this

I choose to look at it this way. If it were not for the hiring of Petrino and the vick situation we wouldn’t have gotten mike smith and Matt Ryan. There’s the silver lining and we’re a better franchise because of the tragedy’s that fell upon us. That tells you how good of an owner blank is and the FO because many organizations would’ve have made it thru that debacle. Instead we were back in the playoffs in 2008. 

41 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I choose to look at it this way. If it were not for the hiring of Petrino and the vick situation we wouldn’t have gotten mike smith and Matt Ryan. There’s the silver lining and we’re a better franchise because of the tragedy’s that fell upon us. That tells you how good of an owner blank is and the FO because many organizations would’ve have made it thru that debacle. Instead we were back in the playoffs in 2008. 

Spot on Fatboi for a the most part.  Agree with everything except Smith.  I feel he ultimately wasted 7 years of Ryan’s career NOT running a WCO scheme.

i think most of his success was due to talent more than coaching.

Edited by Godzilla1985

While Bobby Petrino was a bad hire, I would of at least like to seen what he could of done with a Michael Vick team with no dog trial or prison time for Vick.  

PokerSteve and Vandy like this

21 hours ago, JC Falcon said:

Sorry Vandy, you have that last bit  backwards. Few dual threat QBs figure out what to do in the NFL. They are no longer the fastest/quickest guy on the field and they don’t learn to slide, be patient, etc..  The only really effective “mobile” QBs have been Rothlesburger, Cam - use size to extend plays, and Rodgers and Russell Wilson scramble to extend play but look downfield. 

Petrino is like Spurrier ‘90s in college to me. His play calling is so good that the scheme gets college guys and running lanes open and the QBs look great. NFL playcalling isn’t nearly as far ahead of the defenses and the QBs look average again.

You left out Steve Young and John Elway and Tarkenton. 

With all due respect to you JC, I have always found that to be a lazy argument. 

Much like Saban at Bama, Spurrier/Petrino had systems that required their QBs to be more smart than talented. Lamar Jackson is both. 

He will figure it out, because he’s hungry and has the right OC coach (Mornhinweg, who helped turn both Vick’s and Young’s careers around) to help him do it. Wait and see, they’ll bring Lamar along slow and steady for 1-2 years and then he will prove the naysayers wrong.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/584650002

PokerSteve and falcons007 like this

7 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

He let his players know he was leaving by notes left at their lockers. 

I remember Deangelo Hall was the first in the building that day. He put the note Petrino gave them on the door to the facility, crossed out Petrino's name, and wrote COWARD instead. 

EDIT: Video says it was Milloy who did that but I was pretty sure it was Hall. 

Edited by shock
VTCrunkler likes this

6 hours ago, fuego said:

I still can’t believe Joey Harrington used to be our QB. And Byron Leftwich. 

You forgot Chris Redman, he started some games in 2007.

19 minutes ago, Vandy said:

You left out Steve Young and John Elway. 

Much like Saban at Bama, Spurrier/Petrino had systems that required their QBs to be more smart than talented. Lamar Jackson is both. 

He will figure it out, because he’s hungry and has the right OC coach (Mornhinweg, who turned Vick’s career around) to help him do it. Wait and see. 

John Harbaugh will keep him grounded and give plenty of support till he learns his way in NFL.

Vandy likes this

14 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

You forgot Chris Redman, he started some games in 2007.

And played really well too, outside of a horrendous game against the Bucs.

30 minutes ago, Vandy said:

You left out Steve Young and John Elway. 

He will figure it out, because he’s hungry and has the right OC coach (Mornhinweg, who turned Vick’s career around) to help him do it. Wait and see. 

I said last year that Lamar Jackson could benefit from the Steve McNair treatment and I still believe that.

Vandy likes this

9 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I said last year that Lamar Jackson could benefit from the Steve McNair treatment and I still believe that.

I agree. If/when Flacco implodes by mid-season, hope they turn to Robert Griffin. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

I agree. If/when Flacco implodes by mid-season, hope they turn to Robert Griffin. 

Absolutely. I don't want to see Jackson's career ruined because he got thrown to the wolves before he was ready.

PokerSteve and Vandy like this

2 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

The worst thing sometimes turns out to be the best thing. I’ve always looked at the Petrino situation as the biggest blessing in disguise for our franchise 

NeonDeion, PokerSteve, Vandy and 1 other like this

51 minutes ago, shock said:

I remember Deangelo Hall was the first in the building that day. He put the note Petrino gave them on the door to the facility, crossed out Petrino's name, and wrote COWARD instead. 

EDIT: Video says it was Milloy who did that but I was pretty sure it was Hall. 

That sounds like something deangelo would do. And he was right. 

Vandy likes this

2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

And played really well too, outside of a horrendous game against the Bucs.

Yeah. That was one reason many were on Dorsey train and draft Brohm or Henne in second round to sit behind Redman. 

Vandy likes this

17 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Yeah. That was one reason many were on Dorsey train and draft Brohm or Henne in second round to sit behind Redman. 

I really liked Brian Brohm until this happened!! After this I was all Matt Ryan and feared the Falcons picking Glenn Dorsey.

9 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Quitrino was turrible but hiring The Swamp Fox for a second time in 1987 was worse.

Nobody wanted the job, they had to beg Campbell. And yes it was the worst. At least Pigtrino only lasted a year, and they rebounded quickly

11 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I really liked Brian Brohm until this happened!! After this I was all Matt Ryan and feared the Falcons picking Glenn Dorsey.

thanks 567 for ripping open an old wound.  I couldn't talk to anyone for a couple days after that game.   Believe it or not, Matt Ryan led BC to the Acc title game that year..which has never happened before and only once since then.  We (VT) payed them back in the acc title game.  

I saw this all along.  I saw Matt Ryan play 5 or 6 games that season.  I saw the leadership.  I wanted two things:  I didn't want Carolina to pick him up that year, and I was laughing at all the naysayers who said he threw too many pics.

I have a good reason to hate him forever after this game, but I know how good a player he was back then.  I would want absolutely no one to be "my qb" than Matt Ryan.  Good guy with a tremendous work ethic.  

11 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Been awhile since i’ve Watched that classic. Forgot how evasive in the pocket Matt was in college. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

12 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I was one of those who didn’t want to spend high pick on Ryan. I wanted a good run game and great defense. 

Ryan was always awkward rushed and still doesn’t know how to slide.

On 8/4/2018 at 0:01 PM, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

By far the worst thing to happen to this franchise. Petrino was cowardly and scummy. Joey Harrington was brighter spot than this turd.

Or possibly the best thing to happen to our franchise. His debacle led to us hiring Coach Mike Smith, drafting Matt Ryan and adding Turner and Malloy amongst others. Changed our culture overnight in a very good way… Thanks for being a ***** bag Petrino