Sidecar Falcon

The Worst NFL Coaching Hire: Bobby Petrino

75 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

By far the worst thing to happen to this franchise. Petrino was cowardly and scummy. Joey Harrington was brighter spot than this turd.

And yet people around here absolutely LOVED him right until the minute they saw him go Hog Suey in Fayetteville.

Ill never forget it.  Red flags from day one with how he was treating the players and his overall behavior.  But people here at the time thought it was just fine and he was going to right the ship.  I remember one guy refused to believe Petrine quit until he saw the letter.

Bankerbird was the only guy I remember being as vocally anti petrino as me.  Other people weren’t sure about him but Banker and I had him pegged from day 1.

Because of Bobby Petrino is why I am a little skeptical of Lamar Jackson.

Petrino doesn’t get his QBs ready for the league and all his guys are system QBs.

Im not saying Jackson doesn’t have talent.  I’m saying he’s starting out at a bigger disadvantage than other rookie QBs.

JC Falcon and Sidecar Falcon like this

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Petrino doesn’t get his QBs ready for the league and all his guys are system QBs.

Im not saying Jackson doesn’t have talent.  I’m saying he’s starting out at a bigger disadvantage than other rookie QBs.

Watched the preseason game with Jackson. It seem like he didn’t make any reads before trying to take off running. I know it’s his first game but I thought he would have shown a tiny bit more patience than that. 

Flying Falcon and Tim Mazetti like this

18 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

And yet people around here absolutely LOVED him right until the minute they saw him go Hog Suey in Fayetteville.

Ill never forget it.  Red flags from day one with how he was treating the players and his overall behavior.  But people here at the time thought it was just fine and he was going to right the ship.  I remember one guy refused to believe Petrine quit until he saw the letter.

Bankerbird was the only guy I remember being as vocally anti petrino as me.  Other people weren’t sure about him but Banker and I had him pegged from day 1.

He let his players know he was leaving by notes left at their lockers. 

Tim Mazetti and Flying Falcon like this

Petrino was horrible but he led to alot of positives on the team today. He helped us get Matt, he turned Roddy's career around, which led to Roddy teaching Julio, we lead to Julio teaching Calvin Ridley

30 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Not really. I hate the guy as a scumbag human being, but he’s had a lot of success in college because of his quarterback development.. He takes them further than they could ever go with any other coach.

Most of the QBs in his system are overrated coming out of college because he’s made them look better than their talent. 

That plus the NFL has never really figured out what to do with dual-threat QBs like Jackson.

1 hour ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

By far the worst thing to happen to this franchise. Petrino was cowardly and scummy. Joey Harrington was brighter spot than this turd.

I still can’t believe Joey Harrington used to be our QB. And Byron Leftwich. 

59 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Quitrino was turrible but hiring The Swamp Fox for a second time in 1987 was worse.

The Swamp Fox's second tenure would rank way up there, but I think the prize has to be the hiring of our very first Head Coach, Norb Hecker.

Rankin Smith had gone after Vince Lombardi to be our first HC, but Lombardi wanted to stay in Green Bay. When Smith asked Lombardi for some HC recommendations, Lombardi failed to mention Hecker, who was an assistant on Lombardi's staff.

Smith, thinking Lombardi was trying to pull a fast one on him, hired Hecker. LOL. He won four of the 31 games he served as HC, giving the Atlanta Falcons franchise about the worst start humanly possible.

Edit: Wikipedia helped my aging memory on this, just for the record. :tiphat:

I was at that last game of his.  I remember him calling two time outs back to back drawing a penalty and I thought " What the F is this dude thinking?"  Apparently his good bye note.

PokerSteve likes this

The only good thing to come from the Bobby Petrino hire was his brother. Roddy credited him with turning his career around.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

That plus the NFL has never really figured out what to do with dual-threat QBs like Jackson.

Sorry Vandy, you have that last bit  backwards. Few dual threat QBs figure out what to do in the NFL. They are no longer the fastest/quickest guy on the field and they don’t learn to slide, be patient, etc..  The only really effective “mobile” QBs have been Rothlesburger, Cam - use size to extend plays, and Rodgers and Russell Wilson scramble to extend play but look downfield. 

Petrino is like Spurrier ‘90s in college to me. His play calling is so good that the scheme gets college guys and running lanes open and the QBs look great. NFL playcalling isn’t nearly as far ahead of the defenses and the QBs look average again.

Tim Mazetti likes this

4 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

The Swamp Fox's second tenure would rank way up there, but I think the prize has to be the hiring of our very first Head Coach, Norb Hecker.

Rankin Smith had gone after Vince Lombardi to be our first HC, but Lombardi wanted to stay in Green Bay. When Smith asked Lombardi for some HC recommendations, Lombardi failed to mention Hecker, who was an assistant on Lombardi's staff.

Smith, thinking Lombardi was trying to pull a fast one on him, hired Hecker. LOL. He won four of the 31 games he served as HC, giving the Atlanta Falcons franchise about the worst start humanly possible.

Edit: Wikipedia helped my aging memory on this, just for the record. :tiphat:

Hecker was awful but in his defense he had an expansion team with dozens of stiffs on the roster. The only players he had were Claude, Nobis and Reaves. TATF wouldn't have been able to handle those rosters. Trust me. Van Brocklin took his job and improved the team but he had a few more decent players like Van Note, Mitchell, Zook and Kunz. I wish someone could find a vid of Van Brocklin walking the sidelines smoking cigarettes and talking sht. He had some great quotes too. Found a vid.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Not really. I hate the guy as a scumbag human being, but he’s had a lot of success in college because of his quarterback development.. He takes them further than they could ever go with any other coach.

Most of the QBs in his system are overrated coming out of college because he’s made them look better than their talent. 

Yes that’s what I’m saying.

While his QBs have success in college they’ve all shown they’re not ready for the NFL.

Brohm, Mallett, etc

Again Jackson is talented but he’s already behind the 8 ball because of Petrino and that’s before you add in the NFL not knowing how to use guys like that.

Vandy likes this

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Hecker was awful but in his defense he had an expansion team with dozens of stiffs on the roster. The only players he had were Claude, Nobis and Reaves. TATF wouldn't have been able to handle those rosters. Trust me. Van Brocklin took his job and improved the team but he had a few more decent players like Van Note, Mitchell, Zook and Kunz. I wish someone could find a vid of Van Brocklin stalking the sidelines smoking cigarettes and talking sht. He had some great quotes too. Found a vid.

You found a classic there, complete with Norm telling Harmon Wages, "time to grow up." Good times.

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Hecker was awful but in his defense he had an expansion team with dozens of stiffs on the roster. The only players he had were Claude, Nobis and Reaves. TATF wouldn't have been able to handle those rosters. Trust me. Van Brocklin took his job and improved the team but he had a few more decent players like Van Note, Mitchell, Zook and Kunz. I wish someone could find a vid of Van Brocklin stalking the sidelines smoking cigarettes and talking sht. He had some great quotes too. Found a vid.

NVB was a classic!  The players actually really liked him too. He just didn't have the best players to work with but he did get some pretty good play from a lot of scrubs.  His best quote ever, (Pointing to Tommy Nobis' locker) "That's where our team dresses!" and he was absolutely right.

4 hours ago, fuego said:

I still can’t believe Joey Harrington used to be our QB. And Byron Leftwich. 

Lol Byron Leftwich throwing all those incompletes had the crowd yelling "JOEY!!....JOEY!!....JOEY!!... those days man were the worst.