rightsaidfred

Adam Duvall

5 posts in this topic

Admittedly, I don't know much about this guy.  But watching him thus far, reading the comments about him and seeing his stats for this season,  what do you guys think about the Braves signing Duval?   Seems like he's feast or famine. He's a 200 hitter, and it seems like he either hits a home run or makes an out. With Culberson on the bench, what is the purpose in bringing another guy on? I think Culberson is certainly good enough to platoon at LF, and he hits for average. 

Just curious.......

The purpose was that by allowing Culberson to stay on the bench instead of platooning, you make the team better and deeper. Adam Duvall is a better hitter than he has shown this year. He's actually hit into some very tough luck this year which has made his numbers look worse than normal. But he's actually hitting the ball well this year. His hard hit percentage this year is 37.4%. To put into prospective how good that is, last year Freddie Freeman's hard hit percentage was 37.5%. He's also walking at a career high rate of 9.4% this year. Freeman is walking at 11.5% this year. The difference between the two is that Freeman's BABIP this year is .362 and Duvall's is only .241. Duvall's never going to have Freeman's BABIP because Freddie uses the whole field more while Duvall is a dead pull hitter. But Duvall's BABIP last year was .290. So he's way off from where he should be. At best he's a .240ish type hitter who's capable of hitting 30 plus bombs and providing good defense. He's also under team control for the next couple of years as well. That is why this move was made.

m2Falcons and rightsaidfred like this

2 hours ago, mookie3127 said:

And a potential "safety net" option should Markakis walk at the end of the year.

We should hope he does, I doubt Duvall would be his replacement either.

Edited by Malachore
RING OF HONOR likes this