Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheFatboi

10 things we’ve learned about the falcons after 4 days of camp

William McFadden‏Verified account @willmcfadden 19m19 minutes ago

Another player who has really been impressive is second-year tight end Eric Saubert. He flashed in camp last year, and he's doing so again now. Saubert is a natural receiver who has good speed, hands and body control. He could have a decent role in this offense. 16/x

Very excited about this guy!

I keep hearing his name pop up since OTAs from several different sources. 

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

Gazoo started a thread up a few months back about Saubert and liked his ability.For me it's been about his blocking if that was up to scratch would dictate what he'll be as a player.

Yep, he had to spend his rookie season essentially redshirted so he could learn both running and passing game, learn both to run block, pass protect, and learn NFL defenses to where he understood adjustments.

There is SO much for a rookie TE to learn, few do much their rookie seasons, especially late rounders.

I posted footage of him destroying some defenders in run blocking, while at other times whiffing. Thus, he proved to me he CAN run block, he just needed to work on consistency. The problem was, he was hardly asked to block flexing outside in a spread offense in college. Last year he worked n it all year.

If he puts it together, he’s got a shot at being really good. And I mean, REALLY good. Very few guys tha big can run that smoothly. Gronk is one that big that runs that smoothly.

35 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Very excited about this guy!

I keep hearing his name pop up since OTAs from several different sources. 

I kept telling everybody before the draft that kept saying we should take another TE that we HAVE another TE already and they will give him every opportunity to be #2. Would’ve been a waste of a pick to get another TE when we already drafted one. Fans are crazy sometimes lol. Smh. 

5 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Exactly. Areas of concern getting favorable reports so far.

Interior OL & DL is solid? plus Saubert being a legit #2??

The only thing sounding not so great right now is FB just because one of the competition is gone already.

Ortiz is going to win imo and I'm fine with that for now. 

1 hour ago, TheFatboi said:

I kept telling everybody before the draft that kept saying we should take another TE that we HAVE another TE already and they will give him every opportunity to be #2. Would’ve been a waste of a pick to get another TE when we already drafted one. Fans are crazy sometimes lol. Smh. 

And like OL, TE isn't so easy to be a reliable starter year one even among mid-upper tier draft picks. Pro style TE Saubert wasn't. He was never drafted as a year 1 contributor. Same for Sean Harlow.

2 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

I know, right!  I’ve been catching flak from some about Saubert ever since we drafted him.  I had no idea who he was prior to draft, but when I saw film of him my eyes popped out.  He’s right on schedule from all the reports, all we could hope for is for him to make a seismic leap this camp and that’s what it sounds like is happening. 

3 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

And like OL, TE isn't so easy to be a reliable starter year one even among mid-upper tier draft picks. Pro style TE Saubert wasn't. He was never drafted as a year 1 contributor. Same for Sean Harlow.

The TE not only has to learn everything an OL has to learn, but also what a WR has to learn. You are right, it takes a TE time.....I actually was arguing with some this offseason who claimed he was a bust because he didn’t play on offense his rookie year. *smh*

14 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

No they don’t. Not to me at least. Everybody that I felt was gonna get cut always do. Maybe I’m better at recognizing talent than some but it’s bever been hard for me. It should be easy to see who’s good and who isn’t. Especially when they get in with the 1’s. Pre season will especially tell it. 

I agree to a point here. Sometimes other positions can hold others back.

I have always felt lots of B level Wide Receivers bounce around a bit do to the limitations at the QB they play with, especially some of the camp body QBs'. This also can effect linebackers who find themselves behind weaker lines.

just my thoughts.