Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

falconidae

Matt Ryan calls 2018 Falcons the best team he’s ever had

106 posts in this topic

Surprised this wasn't posted already. On the Falcoholic, via a tweet from Prisco, who says the same thing.

"Matt Ryan has thrown some lofty praise toward this new iteration of the Atlanta Falcons.

Pete Prisco

Leaving Atlanta thinking this Falcons team might be the best they’ve had — which Matt Ryan thinks as well

To have Prisco say this is the best Falcons team ever is really heartening since he’s always been a empathetic media voice for the organization, but to have Ryan say it is something else entirely.

Ryan has been in Atlanta for quite some time (this is his eleventh season, believe it or not), and he has been on some talented teams (the 2010, 2012 and 2016 teams come to mind as his best). We’ve all been putting a lot into the potential 2018 has, and this is just gasoline on the excitement fire. Ryan’s not known for hyperbole, so you know this is coming from a place of confidence in how the roster looks.

The receiving group and secondary in particular do look stunning, and there’s not a single spot on the roster you could consider truly weak. We’ll have to see how the trenches hold up in comparison to some of the more elite groups in the NFL, but they are stout and talented enough to keep the Falcons in every game they play.

Try not to get your hopes up too much that this is just a waltz back to February, but do take heart. This is going to be as exciting a year as the Falcons have had in quite some time, and with Ryan throwing around sentiment like this, the team might be just as in the know as we are as to what the ceiling could be."

Agree with the embiggened part, Ryan doesn't say stuff like this. This could be a special year.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/7/28/17624132/qb-matt-ryan-calls-2018-atlanta-falcons-best-team-hes-had

Just now, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

Until next year, .....and the year after that and etc. Etc. Etc.

So, are you saying this team will just get better, or that Ryan always says stuff like that?

Just now, falconidae said:

So, are you saying this team will just get better, or that Ryan always says stuff like that?

All teams say this about themselves. I would love to hear for once a coach flat out say it's going to be tough but they are going to fight until they can't breath anymore.  

.... for the record I do believe we have an amazing team.  I honestly think after the bye, we won't lose a game (unless a ref aroun steps in with stupid made up crap)

Halcon-1 likes this

3 minutes ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

All teams say this about themselves. I would love to hear for once a coach flat out say it's going to be tough but they are going to fight until they can't breath anymore.  

.... for the record I do believe we have an amazing team.  I honestly think after the bye, we won't lose a game (unless a ref aroun steps in with stupid made up crap)

Thing is, don't think Ryan has ever said that, he's said things like, "Really love this group of guys" , but not best team he's been on. If I'm wrong about Ryan never saying that, I'm sure someone  here will gently show me the error of my ways.

22 minutes ago, falconidae said:

The receiving group and secondary in particular do look stunning, and there’s not a single spot on the roster you could consider truly weak.

Ah, stunning, fits great with this entire team.

Why haven't I used it? I dunno.

falconidae likes this

13 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Glass half empty/glass half full kind of guy, huh?

Flying Falcon likes this

Definitely on paper this is the strongest roster. Over those 11 years, there are not many players who played on those teams, that would start on this one. 

ltstorm2 likes this

13 minutes ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

Until next year, .....and the year after that and etc. Etc. Etc.

No, this is real talk. Whenever Matt Ryan has said it in practice. He's usually been right. During the 2016 off season he said the offense was capable of scoring 30 points per game and NOBODY on these forums believed because of how bad Shanahan was in 2015, and look how 2016 turned out. The defense believes it can be top 5 along with Matt Ryan saying this could be his best team, but even if this isn't Matt Ryan's best team, then 2019 or 2020 could also be Matt Ryan's best team as well. The window for Matt Ryan doesn't close until after the 2020 season, and every even numbered season since 2008 when the Eagles in Philly and/or the Cardinals at home have been on the Falcons schedule, Matt Ryan has gotten closer and closer to a Super Bowl victory. The wildcard loss in Arizona in 2008. The divisional round loss to the Packers in 2010. The thrilling divisional round win over the Seahawks in 2012 and the loss to the 49ers in the NFC Championship Game. 2014 was an outlier before Mike Smith got fired because our defense was so bad that year and the Eagles in Philly weren't on our schedule, and in 2016 we won the NFC Championship against the Packers and made it to the Super Bowl against the Patriots despite losing. The even numbered season pattern since Matt Ryan became a Falcon is real, and guess what? With the Vikings blowing their chance to play the Super Bowl in their home stadium when they came so close in the NFC Championship against the Eagles (which was a blowout), the FALCONS still have a chance to once again make history and become the first team in NFL history to play in the Super Bowl in their home stadium right in Atlanta come February 2019. It's lining up for us at the right time. The Falcons NFC East schedule in 2018 matches 2012 when we went 13-3. The Falcons AFC North schedule in 2018 matches 2010 when we went 13-3. In 2018 we play the Eagles in Philly and the Cardinals at home again just like 2010, 2012, and 2016 when we won the NFC South. Our 8 digit years in our history such as 1978, 1998, and 2008 were very special. Winning our first playoff game in 1978. Going to our first Super Bowl in 1998. The beginning of the Matt Ryan era in 2008 which has led to our best stretch in franchise history. Watch and learn. 

45 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Surprised this wasn't posted already. On the Falcoholic, via a tweet from Prisco, who says the same thing.

"Matt Ryan has thrown some lofty praise toward this new iteration of the Atlanta Falcons.

Pete Prisco

Leaving Atlanta thinking this Falcons team might be the best they’ve had — which Matt Ryan thinks as well

To have Prisco say this is the best Falcons team ever is really heartening since he’s always been a empathetic media voice for the organization, but to have Ryan say it is something else entirely.

Ryan has been in Atlanta for quite some time (this is his eleventh season, believe it or not), and he has been on some talented teams (the 2010, 2012 and 2016 teams come to mind as his best). We’ve all been putting a lot into the potential 2018 has, and this is just gasoline on the excitement fire. Ryan’s not known for hyperbole, so you know this is coming from a place of confidence in how the roster looks.

The receiving group and secondary in particular do look stunning, and there’s not a single spot on the roster you could consider truly weak. We’ll have to see how the trenches hold up in comparison to some of the more elite groups in the NFL, but they are stout and talented enough to keep the Falcons in every game they play.

Try not to get your hopes up too much that this is just a waltz back to February, but do take heart. This is going to be as exciting a year as the Falcons have had in quite some time, and with Ryan throwing around sentiment like this, the team might be just as in the know as we are as to what the ceiling could be."

Agree with the embiggened part, Ryan doesn't say stuff like this. This could be a special year.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/7/28/17624132/qb-matt-ryan-calls-2018-atlanta-falcons-best-team-hes-had

Who's playing next to Grady at DT again? 

49 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

No, this is real talk. Whenever Matt Ryan has said it in practice. He's usually been right. During the 2016 off season he said the offense was capable of scoring 30 points per game and NOBODY on these forums believed because of how bad Shanahan was in 2015  

That’s false. I believed. Or rather I KNEW.  I tried to tell ppl once Matt learned the wco we were gonna he dangerous. It takes 3 years to master the wco for a vet qb. I even explained the nuances of the wco that we were missing in 2015 like wr timing with Matt’s footwork. Nobody wanted to listen except a few that understood the wco like @Knight of God @JDaveG @velAnd a few others that that knows things don’t happen overnight like @Vandy

5 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

That’s false. I believed. Or rather I KNEW.  I tried to tell ppl once Matt learned the wco we were gonna he dangerous. It takes 3 years to master the wco for a vet qb. I even explained the nuances of the wco that we were missing in 2015 like wr timing with Matt’s footwork. Nobody wanted to listen except a few that understood the wco like @Knight of God @JDaveG @velAnd a few others that that knows things don’t happen overnight like @Vandy

Wish they had run the WCO since Ryan got here. He'd be perceived much differently here and around the league.

raysnill1, Drew4719, Vandy and 5 others like this

1 minute ago, falconidae said:

Wish they had run the WCO since Ryan got here. He'd be perceived much differently here and around the league.

Yep. He cane from that in college. Ppl don’t realize how difficult it is to unlearn and learn a system. Matt’s done it 3 Times as a pro.