Slappywhite

I love the Falcons , just to make it official.

212 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I know.

Even though I was not friends with him away from this board, it affected me more than it normally would've, because when I read his original post, the situation sounded very similar to my father's.  It brought memories back that I hadn't relived in a while. 

2009.  My father had fought cancer for over six years.  Radiation finally took such a toll on him that his throat and esophagus were basically burned beyond functioning.  The doctors told him there was no more help they could offer him, and sent him home.  

What happened was the same I imagine that Slappy did.  My dad went home, lied down, and waited for his body to give up.   He couldn't eat or drink  (not that he wanted to)  because of the pain in his throat.  After a few days he went unconscious.  Then after a day or so,  he woke up and was able to speak to everyone one last time.   He seemed almost normal.

We said 'I love you'.  Then the last thing he ever said to me was,  "Alright, I'll see you in a couple days".  He was kind of out of it.  I just said,  "You bet".  Of course I knew better.

Well, the kidneys soon shut down and, along with the morphine the hospice people kept feeding him, that was that. 

(I believe most drawn out deaths like his are actually morphine overdoses rather than actual organ shutdown.  And thank god for the morphine)

Brutal man.  I'm sorry you and your family had to go through that.  :(

Just now, athell said:

Brutal man.  I'm sorry you and your family had to go through that.  :(

Appreciated, but I'll tell you, as much as sadness, I actually felt even more relief, that he was out of pain.

Sure we all miss him but if that's the price to pay for his peace, I'm good with it. 

1 hour ago, athell said:

This still has me shook.  I am in shock.  I didn't even have a personal relationship with slappy, but going from wondering what PK was referring to when he mentioned "slappy's thread"...to then finding this thread (I previously saw it but thought nothing of it)...to reading his op...to becoming super sad and worried immediately...to frantically going to the last page to see the news.  Ugh.  I'm so sad.

@SkerFalcon8710 @Knight of God is there a gofundme or charity we can donate to for slappy?  I feel awful.

I'm not sure bro, but he has a Facebook page you can check. If you're on that form of media, you can find me there too.

athell and papachaz like this

Just now, Knight of God said:

I'm not sure bro, but he has a Facebook page you can check. If you're on that form of media, you can find me there too.

I think I found his page...but I think he had it set to private or whatever so I couldn't see much.

Seeing him with the rise up overlay made me so sad.  Ugh. 

If you hear of anything, please let us know will you?  Would love to send something their way.

papachaz and Knight of God like this

Just now, athell said:

I think I found his page...but I think he had it set to private or whatever so I couldn't see much.

Seeing him with the rise up overlay made me so sad.  Ugh. 

If you hear of anything, please let us know will you?  Would love to send something their way.

Definitely brother

athell and papachaz like this

18 hours ago, athell said:

How did I just see this thread?!?!

I feel like I got kicked in the stomach, I can't even...

RIP Slappy.  You will be missed.  Wish I could have said goodbye, you were a great man and great fan.  We lost one of our brothers tonight :(

Prayers up for Slappys family and friends.

I'm with you there. Sometimes we get so busy with our own lives that we tend to miss out on other stuff.  I sure hate to hear that Slappy's left us. He put up such a tremendous fight.  My eyes 'leaking' as I read through his struggles and those posts of family, kind of knowing but yet accepting his fate.

One thing I see that is overwhelming is all the "Brotherhood" and love showed to him by so many others here on this board.  I know many of us would have liked to have said goodbye (myself included).  Sometimes people know when their times are near and so many have no clue. It can happen fast and unexpected such as a heart-attack, or even something like I had happen with one of my best friends (a wasp sting) so nobody has the opportunity to say "Goodbye".  The best things is that so many have chosen to show their respect and remember him.  Because I think that's what we all strive for and God bless you all that have!  

It is my hope that this year our Falcons can fight as hard as Slappy did because if they do, we'll finally see a Lombardi trophy delivered to this city.  This season's for you "Slappy" and although the players may know little about you (or us), let's hope that they accomplish the feat that we've always been waiting for and why we come here!  RIP my "Brother and Fellow Fan" and Thank You for sharing your views and life with us all. 

Vandy and athell like this

2 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Week 3 Ill be waving a 2016 playoff flag he gave me with Slappy written on it in sharpie, if you see it you best be screaming your *** off! If you see me there feel free to give a shout of Slappy! He’ll be with us louder than ever! 

I hope to be seeing it and hearing those "Train Horns" blowing! 

SkerFalcon8710 and papachaz like this

R.I.P. Slappy. I don't think I ever really interacted with him, but knowing he passed before he got to see our birds win the big one breaks my heart. I remember when my buddy got stabbed to death this year for chanting "F--- Tom Brady" up by Temple only a week before the Super Bowl, and when the Eagles won it meant a lot to me and everyone else who was there the night he died, despite them beating us earlier in the playoffs. Stuff like that, and like this, reminds me that sometimes it's not always "just a game". Sometimes sports give us the comfort we need in the wake of tragedy. May our Dirty Birds win the big one for Slappy the same way the Eagles did for my friend Liam.

Edited by I give lengthy responses

I just saw this and it breaks my heart.   Rise up Slappy!    I know you'll be there when we win it all and I'll think of you.   Praying for your family to find peace where they can.   You will be missed!

I am in Atlanta right now because we have to go to Emory for my husband over the next week.   I'll say a prayer for you every day we are there.   

22 hours ago, Tandy said:

I just saw this and it breaks my heart.   Rise up Slappy!    I know you'll be there when we win it all and I'll think of you.   Praying for your family to find peace where they can.   You will be missed!

I am in Atlanta right now because we have to go to Emory for my husband over the next week.   I'll say a prayer for you every day we are there.   

Best wishes for your husband. 

Tandy, papachaz and Black Francis like this

23 hours ago, Tandy said:

58 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

Best wishes for your husband. 

absolutely agree!

lanorris41 likes this

Slappy, im sorry it took me so long to post on this thread. I didnt know what to say or how to say it, was at a loss of words. We were just talking about football a few weeks ago. You have been a fighter your whole life. You are in a better place right now, no more pain or heartache. Sleep easy Man. R.I.P

Everybody on this board , its time to get back to reality. We have been at each other’s throats so much in the past few years that we forget the little things. You never know what any of us maybe going through. We have to change this board for the better. We do what we can until we can’t anymore. I myself am not excluded as well. Time to come together 

Vandy, mikeg272, papachaz and 1 other like this

RIP to a good dude, Slappy!  My loss that we never got the chance to meet.  Hope you had a great life and enjoying the new young healthy body up in heaven!  

Godspeed my friend!

papachaz and paulitik like this

Wow...this is the first time I’ve actually looked at this thread and I gotta say I wish I had sooner so I can too say how I’ve enjoyed your enthusiasm on this board slappy.

Many, many, many prayers up to your fam bro. And no matter what you better be up top singing “We Are the Champions” with us with your Falcons jersey on when we finally win it all this year.

Edited by The Vent King
papachaz likes this

posted this in the update thread, but going to put it here as well. this is the information I got from his sister Christine:

"We are having Dennis's memorial on August 18 @ 1 pm. It will be at Miracle Temple church in Ranger ga. The address is 1318 Taylor Town Rd, Ranger Ga. 30734. Family and friends are coming in starting at 11 am. We are going to have a dinner in Dennis's honor right after. Anyone who would like to bring a covered dish, is welcome to do so. Dennis did not want a funeral service and we are going to respect that so, instead we are having a memorial for him with pictures of his life and have people to say something about him and share stories about him. This is what he wanted. Thank you for your prayers."

she also told me they had another death in the family this week, a cousin....man those of you who pray, keep this family in there for sure!

@Knight of God @Jpowers @SkerFalcon8710 @Vandy  tried to tag the ones he tagged in the original.....

30 minutes ago, papachaz said:

posted this in the update thread, but going to put it here as well. this is the information I got from his sister Christine:

"We are having Dennis's memorial on August 18 @ 1 pm. It will be at Miracle Temple church in Ranger ga. The address is 1318 Taylor Town Rd, Ranger Ga. 30734. Family and friends are coming in starting at 11 am. We are going to have a dinner in Dennis's honor right after. Anyone who would like to bring a covered dish, is welcome to do so. Dennis did not want a funeral service and we are going to respect that so, instead we are having a memorial for him with pictures of his life and have people to say something about him and share stories about him. This is what he wanted. Thank you for your prayers."

she also told me they had another death in the family this week, a cousin....man those of you who pray, keep this family in there for sure!

@Knight of God @Jpowers @SkerFalcon8710 @Vandy  tried to tag the ones he tagged in the original.....

Thanks for the update, dangit i wish i could be on GA to stop and pay my respects 

papachaz likes this

3 hours ago, papachaz said:

Ranger is just Outside Calhoun, right papa? 

10 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Ranger is just Outside Calhoun, right papa? 

yeah kinda sorta, it's up 411 from Cartersville....perhaps I should do a google maps and screen shot it here when I get the chance

1 hour ago, papachaz said:

yeah kinda sorta, it's up 411 from Cartersville....perhaps I should do a google maps and screen shot it here when I get the chance

Don’t do it for me, I’ll Find it.

papachaz likes this