Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Dodgers at Braves

340 posts in this topic

Two great takeaways from this: 1) We didn't get swept 2) Our players will feel the emotion of this game rather than dwell on the negatives of the previous two games.

That's what a stopper does in a rotation. He changes a team's momentum.

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

If today doesn't proof that pitch count, especially the 100 limit, is beyond dumb and shouldn't be a thing then I don't know what will. Newcomb threw over 130 pitches and was just as dominant at the end as he was at the beginning.

The thing is..the pitch count is not just about that game..It is about the season.

He also is coming off extra rest....as the season moves on that extra rest probably becomes less and less.

over the course of one  game..you have a point but it is not just about that one game

5 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

The thing is..the pitch count is not just about that game..It is about the season.

He also is coming off extra rest....as the season moves on that extra rest probably becomes less and less.

over the course of one  game..you have a point but it is not just about that one game

Yes, I realize you can't let him throw 130 pitches every game. But that's not the point. The point was that you can't have a hard fast rule that pitchers should never be allowed to throw more than 100 pitches and that's just the way it is. Too many managers manage the game like that regardless of how good or bad the pitcher is throwing. Today was a perfect example of what Bobby once said once. BC once said that a guy could be finished at 75 pitches or still going strong at 120 pitches.

Drew4719 likes this

For all the *****ing and complaining about the Braves pissing away the season, well, they've got the same number of losses as the Phillies. The difference in the standings is the Phillies have played 3 more games and won them all.

Drew4719 likes this

39 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

If today doesn't proof that pitch count, especially the 100 limit, is beyond dumb and shouldn't be a thing then I don't know what will. Newcomb threw over 130 pitches and was just as dominant at the end as he was at the beginning.

Exactly, I completely agree

The East is wide open. I don't see either team running away from it. What we have to see is if the Nats will give up and sell. They said they would know after this weekend. Well they came out 1 game under .500 but still 6 games back. It'll be up to Rizzo to see if he wants to gamble on catching the Braves and Phillies or focus on 2019.

6 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

The East is wide open. I don't see either team running away from it. What we have to see is if the Nats will give up and sell. They said they would know after this weekend. Well they came out 1 game under .500 but still 6 games back. It'll be up to Rizzo to see if he wants to gamble on catching the Braves and Phillies or focus on 2019.

The Nationals are 6 games behind the Phillies and are 4-6 vs. the Phillies this year. They're 5-7 vs. the Braves this year. They've 5.5 out in the WC.