Julio Jones reportedly willing to skip all of training camp as he looks for new contract (CBS Sports)

Ladies and gentlemen: start your engines!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/julio-jones-reportedly-willing-to-skip-all-training-camp-as-he-looks-for-new-contract/

When the Falcons report for training camp on Thursday, Julio Jones won't be there. One of the league's best wide receivers skipped offseason workouts and now, according to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, Jones is willing to skip the entirety of training camp while he waits for a pay raise -- despite the Falcons making it clear that they had no intentions of doing so at this time.

Nonetheless, Rapoport adds, "[Jones] appears resolute in his mindset."

Jones risks $40,000 per day in fines.

Jones inked a five-year, $71.25 million contract extension in August 2015 (including $47 million guaranteed) that now makes him ninth in average annual salary among all wideouts.

And while it's one thing to make less than Antonio Brown ($17 million annually, on average), it's something completely different to be looking up at Sammy Watkins ($16 million) and Davante Adams ($14.5 million). Jones is set to make $14.2 million in 2018, which goes a long way in explaining his decision to stay away from the Falcons' facility.

Jones ranked sixth in efficiency among wideouts last season, according to Football Outsiders' metrics. He had 88 catches for 1,444 yards but managed just three touchdowns in 16 starts. But 2017 was Jones' least productive season since 2013; in 2016 he averaged 17.0 yards per reception and scored six times; in 2015 he had a whopping 136 receptions for 1,871 yards and had 104 receptions the season before that. Still, Jones is the centerpiece of the Falcons' downfield attack, one that starts with franchise quarterback Matt Ryan and now includes rookie first-rounder Calvin Ridley.

Back in May, Jones told TMZ that his absence during offseason wasn't about money.

"It's not even about [my contract]," Jones said at the time. "Everybody wants a story right now. There's no story to be told. I'm just working. I'm getting myself better. I'm just working on myself right now. There's no bad blood between me and the team or anything like that. Everybody on the outside trying to look in and destroy what we built there."

It sure sounds like this is, in fact, about money. And that's understandable. But the Falcons don't appear interested in negotiating a new deal, what with Jones having three years left on his current contract. 

Now the question becomes: who blinks first?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lost alot of respect for Julio... And yes, I'm sure there will be the Julio supporters yelling at me.  I'm just not in the mindset he should be holding out with 3 years left.  No one player is above the team.  Let him hold out.  We will move on.

8 minutes ago, Gee-Q said:

I've lost alot of respect for Julio... And yes, I'm sure there will be the Julio supporters yelling at me.  I'm just not in the mindset he should be holding out with 3 years left.  No one player is above the team.  Let him hold out.  We will move on.

Same here. 

No love lost for my man Julio. He’s worth every penny and deserves to be paid. He’s a class act and this doesn’t change that in any way and not to forget he’s a complete monster on the field. 

But if Julio is making me choose between him and Tevin, and a few other players already here, IMO this team will be better suited in the long run without him.

I don't think it's him as much as he's getting really bad advice. And it has to be from someone he trusts.. His agent?.. TO?. who knows. He was never a diva but if he's not careful this could lead to irreparable damage with the FO and fanbase. It's a shame really. 

7 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

If he misses all of camp he’s going to be rusty

I think we can go ahead and mark that Eagles games as a loss

The Falcons are going to win that game without Julio and then Julio.

1 minute ago, Peyton said:

The Falcons are going to win that game without Julio and then Julio.

They would have trouble winning that game with Julio.

Quinn hasn’t beaten the Doug Pederson Eagles in 2 tries and that’s not going to change with a diminished offense.

Unlike the Falcons the Eagles got much stronger up front in the offseason

They better fine him for every day he misses.  I’ve sat back and watched, haven’t posted much at all on this topic, and was waiting to see if he would show for TC.  If he in fact doesn’t show for all of training camp there is no doubt he and Ryan will not be on the same page for game 1.

If that happens, we lose some games early, and this ruins our season I would trade him next offseason... sure as **** wouldn’t give him a new contract like is being reported.

Still plenty of time though, maybe he only sits a week of TC.  Idk but I just don’t think Julio or the Falcons are gonna like the outcome of this.

Just now, KCFalcon22 said:

This is my 1st post and flame away BUT I'd love to have Julio present but if he isn't then move forward.  How many TOP 5 WR have won Super Bowls in the past 5-10 years?  There aren't many at all.

Star WRs are definitely less important now.  Dominant lines do the work that title-winning teams need.

2 minutes ago, Jerz said:

Sometimes having the best player at a particular position isn’t even worth it IMO. This isn’t the Nba where 1or 2 players can carry the team on their back and win a trophy.

And all the injuries to stars in a more dangerous league don't help, because when they're out, you're stuck.

1 minute ago, 10 Yard Fight said:

Star WRs are definitely less important now.  Dominant lines do the work that title-winning teams need.

Unfortunately the Falcons don’t have that and it may take a few years to get there

Oh and they’ll probably need to bring in a new OC and Ryan will have to learn a new offense so they should be good to go in 2-3 years...

I've brought up in the other big Julio thread that if we realistically want to trade the guy and move on from this, some potential teams to trade with that we for sure will not play in 2018 or 2019 are the Chargers, Bills, Raiders, Broncos, and Dolphins. These teams are all desperate and could perceive themselves as legit contenders with the addition of Julio.

I would say we would need a legit or (young) potentially legit WR and a pick or two. If we trade him to one of these teams we're guaranteed not to play against him unless it's the Super Bowl. And the fact that Julio is pulling this sh*t makes me think he doesn't see his career lasting much longer. The return on this deal could be massive this year...

Would something like Mike Williams, 2019 1st, 2020 2nd be realistic? 

Edited by shock

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Unfortunately the Falcons don’t have that and it may take a few years to get there

Oh and they’ll probably need to bring in a new OC and Ryan will have to learn a new offense so they should be good to go in 2-3 years...

We are close enough to having that to were a strong secondary and solid LB’s/RB’s can compliment our above average line play. Thats why having a well rounded solid team with depth is more important than just 1 star player.

10 minutes ago, shock said:

I've brought up in the other big Julio thread that if we realistically want to trade the guy and move on from this, some potential teams to trade with that we for sure will not play in 2018 or 2019 are the Chargers, Bills, Raiders, Broncos, and Dolphins. These teams are all desperate and could perceive themselves as legit contenders with the addition of Julio.

I would say we would need a legit or (young) potentially legit WR and a pick or two. If we trade him to one of these teams we're guaranteed not to play against him unless it's the Super Bowl. And the fact that Julio is pulling this sh*t makes me think he doesn't see his career lasting much longer. The return on this deal could be massive this year...

Would something like Mike Williams, 2019 1st, 2020 2nd be realistic? 

This definitely sounds like an exit strategy.  He's worried about getting hurt and having nothing left guaranteed.  I wonder how much this ordeal will affect the goodwill associated with his after-football businesses.

Julio is hurting himself and potentially the team with this move.  Bad move by him.  Players who hold out seem to be more likely to get injured.  His targets will go down in the early season based on lack of chemistry.  And it forces the Falcons to rely more on a rookie right out of the gate against the defending SB champs.  

It's not like the guy has a lousy deal.  It was the biggest contract ever for a WR when he signed it just a couple years ago.  It was front loaded and now he wants to load up again.  You can't just look at this year's salary, you have to look at the whole deal.

I'm a Falcons fan first and foremost and this is not good for the Falcons.  Hopefully there is a silver lining and some of our other guys step up so that we do not need to rely as much on Jones.

2 minutes ago, Jerz said:

We are close enough to having that to were a strong secondary and solid LB’s/RB’s can compliment our above average line play. Thats why having a well rounded solid team with depth is more important than just 1 star player.

I’m talking about a dominant line.  Dominant lines make everything behind it look better.  It doesn’t always work the other way around 

But here’s the thing.  Why are you acting like the Falcons aren’t a really solid team WITH a HOFer in to put them over the top.

Every Super Bowl team may not have a top 5 WR but they have multiple star players on their team that help tip the scales.  Maybe people don’t realize the Eagles had several very expensive defensive linemen.

Every NFL team has about 4-5 players that eat up most of the cap space.  The rest are good to mid level guys and then other guys that fill out the roster.

The Falcons, as they are currently constructed, are no different to other NFL teams when it comes to that.

If you want to talk about investing the money in the lines vs WR then sure but I guess everyone forgot that it’s not easy.  You HAVE to hit on draft picks and it took the Falcons roughly 8 years to do that.  Then you have to supplement that with FA talent.

Bottom line is if you want the Falcons to cut the cord with Julio and transition to that they can’t do it this season.  It’s probaly going to take 2 off seasons and during that time they’ll also have to start over on the offense.

So the Falcons can move on from Julio but they’re going to take a big step backwards.