777 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, maxatlanta said:

When a team cuts a player, they still must deliver on the guranteed money. It sesh like you are saying they should also have to pay the player money that was never guaranteed. That doesn't make any sense.

2 minutes ago, Jerz said:

Because the players do not employ the teams services. The teams are the one handing out the money. You better be glad teams dont get stuck paying for underperforming players for too long.

Lol. So you guys are totally fine with teams not honoring contracts but not players. You have all the excuses in the world for teams not to honoring contacts but players standing up for themselves are the bad guys.

I want Julio to show up also but he does have a point.

5 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

Don't matter, the point is getting paid what your worth.

Teams have no problem cutting players whether its in a contract year or if he has three years left - why does it matter when a players decide to hold out?

I want Julio to show for selfish reasons, but I still think he has a valid point.

Just because a team can cut a player before the full term of the contract doesn't mean they are not honoring the contract.  The contract can be legally broken and the player is compensated the guaranteed portion of the contract. 

It is the same exact thing in business.  If a contract has a termination clause (which most contracts do) the contract can be terminated and the contractor is compensated only for the work completed plus profit.  It protects the business.  If a company is contracted for work on site for 5 years, but it turns out the work is no longer worth it after year 2, should the company still continue paying the contractor in years 3,4,5?  Should the company have paid the contractor the full 5 years amount up front??  Of course not.

GreggT and PokerSteve like this

1 minute ago, Clark said:

Rose colored glasses at its finest...

No....Im telling how it is...how do you explain when a rookie comes in the league who cant immediately play...but when healthy...knows the plays...The Playbook...Julio is an elite player..and also very intelligent...learning wrinkles will not be a problem..

1 minute ago, RING OF HONOR said:

You guys act like Julio is the 1st player to not report to camp...it really isnt a big deal...if we had a new qb yeah it would...but he and Matt has played together long enough for him to be fine..

I see where you're coming from, but I have to disagree that it's not important for him to be there. Teams need that TC time to shed the webs, get the timing down again, and as someone earlier pointed out, Sark may have some new wrinkles in the offense. All of those require involvement. A good offense is like well oiled machinery, all parts need to be working in unison. You just can't say that to come strolling in after TC is conducive to the offense producing...it's just not, plain and simple....end of the world....no...good for the offense....no.

PokerSteve and rounz like this

For arguments sake lets say we want to trade him.

Who do we realistically trade him to? Bearing in mind we would NEED another top flight WR at least.

1 hour ago, Clark said:

So much for the "he will report" crowd.  This is turning into a nightmare and I am thoroughly disappointed in Julio.  I know a lot of you will try to act like this is no big deal, its business, etc., but this is pure selfishness and nothing more at this point. 

So what do you call it when teams cut players with several years left on their deals?

Flying Falcon likes this

Just now, FentayeJones said:

Lol. So you guys are totally fine with teams not honoring contracts but not players. You have all the excuses in the world for teams not to honoring contacts but players standing up for themselves are the bad guys.

He really doesn't though.  He knew the contract was front-loaded when he signed it.  He knew the guaranteed money would dry up later into his contract.  HE KNEW THIS when he signed it.  Now, after the guarantees have passed, he pulls this crap?  I understand the argument you are making about teams not honoring contracts, but this seems borderline dirty IMO

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Yeah let Ridley start beasting, Free and Teco get integrated into the passing attack more, Hoop rise to the next level, special teams improve and defense turn into a lock down takeaway machine and what little nonexistent leverage Julio has in his head will go poof into thin air.

Yeah that would be nice.

Wont happen but it would have been nice if Sark magically transformed into a great OC.

Ridley will look every bit the rookie and Free and Teco will see 8 in the box every snap

KRUNKuno, Flying Falcon and putnam6 like this

1 minute ago, RING OF HONOR said:

No....Im telling how it is...how do you explain when a rookie comes in the league who cant immediately play...but when healthy...knows the plays...The Playbook...Julio is an elite player..and also very intelligent...learning wrinkles will not be a problem..

It just not as simple as you are making it out to be brother, but I suppose this is just something we will have to agree to disagree on.

Guy puts his body on the line like none other on this team.  

Guaranteed contracts are on the precipice with new CBA coming.  NBA and other sports contracts have added fuel to this fire.

Julio wants to make sure he can secure a nice guaranteed contract before it’s too late.

There are multiple guys on this team that can not be extended in order to keep Julio, but “brotherhood” makes fans think we have to keep everybody. (Jake, Ricardo, Beasley, DeVondre)

Seattle played hardball and now their whole team is in shambles.

Team goes to crap whenever Julio is off the field.  Gives him some leverage.

As I said before...PAY THE MAN

isproab, Flying Falcon and mar31985 like this

2 minutes ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

Just because a team can cut a player before the full term of the contract doesn't mean they are not honoring the contract.  The contract can be legally broken and the player is compensated the guaranteed portion of the contract. 

It is the same exact thing in business.  If a contract has a termination clause (which most contracts do) the contract can be terminated and the contractor is compensated only for the work completed plus profit.  It protects the business.  If a company is contracted for work on site for 5 years, but it turns out the work is no longer worth it after year 2, should the company still continue paying the contractor in years 3,4,5?  Should the company have paid the contractor the full 5 years amount up front??  Of course not.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander...

Just now, Clark said:

It just not as simple as you are making it out to be brother, but I suppose this is just something we will have to agree to disagree on.

It actually is...but we can agree to disagree...but I do get your point

Clark likes this

Just now, KRUNKuno said:

Guaranteed contracts are on the precipice with new CBA coming.  NBA and other sports contracts have added fuel to this fire.

Julio wants to make sure he can secure a nice guaranteed contract before it’s too late.

There are multiple guys on this team that can not be extended in order to keep Julio, but “brotherhood” makes fans think we have to keep everybody. (Jake, Ricardo, Beasley, DeVondre)

yeah lets pay Julio for three tds last year. Julio cant stay healthy with his stupid foot. 

GreggT likes this

1 minute ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

What's good for the goose is good for the gander...

Yep, and the gander's going to have to decide if he wants to work and make millions or hang out and make nothing. 

don l and PokerSteve like this

3 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

TEAMS HONOR CONTRACTS. They pay the guaranteed money no matter what. The money that is not guaranteed is what the team would pay you if they DECIDE it’s worth it. The contract just puts all of this in writing.

1 minute ago, quotemokc said:

For arguments sake lets say we want to trade him.

Who do we realistically trade him to? Bearing in mind we would NEED another top flight WR at least.

From what I've read, most teams don't even have the cap space to take on his contract at this point via a trade for just some meaningless 2nd or 3rd round picks.  I'm guessing the only way would be to take on a similar contract in return.  Falcons aren't going to trade Julio unless someone is giving them equal value in return and that's not going to happen.

Probably been mentioned but why meet high demands when there is a question about his playing with the mended foot for a full successful season? Isn't this a gamble?

Just now, FalconsForever1990 said:

yeah lets pay Julio for three tds last year. Julio cant stay healthy with his stupid foot. 

And still racked up 1400+ yards.  

Our issues were OC based last year.  

Flying Falcon likes this

7 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

You don't understand. The team honored both Toilolo and Julio's contracts completely. 

3 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

Seattle is in shambles in part due to bad drafting and overpaying.

PokerSteve likes this

19 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

There's no doubt Julio is a beast and arguably the best WR in the league. We have tried to win a Lombardi with him for seven seasons and haven't been able to. Mainly because we were deficient in other areas. Elite WRs haven't been the key to a championship in over a decade. Solid all around teams have been the key. Our defense and special teams should improve this year. Julio's 10 targets, 6 touches, 97 yards and 0.5 TDs per game could be distributed to Free, Teco, Ridley, Sanu, Hoop, Hardy, Hall, Ito, Gage, Davis and Saubert and we will be harder to defend. The last time we spread the ball around like that was in 2016 when we set NFL records.

Exactly what I've been saying.  I think Ryan is too dependent on looking for Julio as his first option.  2016 showed that spreading the ball around keeps defenses guessing while we're moving the ball on them.  This team has entirely too much offensive talent to rely on one or two players.

5 minutes ago, Clark said:

He really doesn't though.  He knew the contract was front-loaded when he signed it.  He knew the guaranteed money would dry up later into his contract.  HE KNEW THIS when he signed it.  Now, after the guarantees have passed, he pulls this crap?  I understand the argument you are making about teams not honoring contracts, but this seems borderline dirty IMO

Yes, he does have a point. If he didn't the FO would not have agreed to address his contract after the season.

Flying Falcon likes this

Just now, Jerz said:

Seattle is in shambles in part due to bad drafting and overpaying.

By that breath, since we allegedly draft well we should be able to let a lot of those guys I mentioned take a hike and keep the 2nd most important piece of this team here.  

Flying Falcon likes this

1 minute ago, FentayeJones said:

Yes, he does have a point. If he didn't the FO would not have agreed to address his contract after the season.

Im willing to bet the FO is pretty annoyed at Julio with this BS right now.  I bet they are looking at it as pretty dirty too.