777 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, atljbo said:

This is why i get both sides......I get Julio point of view that im on base salary now... IIm out here beasting it .. Playing injured and still balling for this team... He has noooo security left on his contract and he is being underpaid these last 3 years.

At the same time the team front loaded the contract for cap reasons because they knew Ryan deal was coming ... So far they have paid you market value (16mil per year)... The team know you are being under paid these next couple of years so they promised you to work on something next year.

Mannn.. IDK... He deserve more... I stand by that...He also have 3 years left on his deal yo

I don't blame Julio for his stance... I think he has a valid point. He has no security for the remainder of his contract. 

But at the same time, I don't blame the FO for their stance either. I can see it both ways.

******* TO ever since he hung out with him julio has been more of a diva. We made him the highest paid wr ever two years ago and **** changes due to other wrs needing new contracts. I hope we don't give in. Let's at least keep with the plan and loom at it next year. He's either with us or against us.

Just now, FentayeJones said:

I don't blame Julio for holding out... I think he has a valid point. He has no security for the remainder of his contract. 

But at the same time, I don't blame the FO for their stance either. I can see it both ways.

i feel the same way

42 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

2013 was the last time Julio wasn't on the Falcons offense on a regular basis when he had that season ending injury against the Jets early on, and it was ugly offensively from that point on and the rest of the season. Julio is a game changer, I don't care if top tier receivers historically don't win Super Bowls, because for the sake of the Falcons and Matt Ryan, Julio has always been a game changer for the regular season and the playoffs spreading defenses out. 

In 2013 we went 1-4 (.200) with Julio beasting out of the gate and finished 3-8 (.273) with frkn Harry Dougle as our #1WR.

In 2016 Julio missed two games with an injury. We went 2-0 and averaged 418 yards and 42 points per game.

And you're correct it's been over a decade since a team won a Lombardi with a WR of Julio's caliber on their roster. The leading receiver on the last championship team was a TE with 824 yards and 8 TDs.

In the Ryan era we were 62-50 (.554) with Julio on the roster and 33-15 (.688) without Julio on the roster.

1 hour ago, Bobby.Digital said:

****. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Could get ugly. Wonder if he starts getting fined....

He starts getting fined either Thursday/Friday

Falcons&Dawgs#1Fan likes this

Julio is arguably the best WR in the league.  He's been a beast on the field and off.  He's a mentor to our younger players.  He's played hard every time he's been on the field.

With that being said, he should be in camp.  He's in year 3 of a 5 year deal that he AGREED to.  Yeah, he's only the 9th-highest paid WR this year, but he was paid an average of $15 million the last two, where he was 3rd highest paid in 2016 and 5th last year.  Only thing giving in now would set up a bad precedent.  Plus, TD already said that he'd get the contract addressed next year.  We have more pressing needs on potential free agents after this year than worry about someone that has over 2 years to go, no matter how valuable that player is. 

Same for me...Julio is just letting his displeasure show....not the first to do this...Im not concerned...the team has stated he will get it next year...so I expect him to be here when it counts...

If not...I will feel different

15 minutes ago, atljbo said:

i feel the same way

I think its an overall larger problem that the NFL has in regards to contracts. The NFLPA negotiated a bad deal on behalf of players.  Instead a negotiating for less practice time, they should have been negotiating for a larger share of the revenue. All of the power lies with the owners.

Star players like Thomas, Mack, Donald, Julio, Bell are gonna have to stick to their guns.

Flying Falcon and isproab like this

Can the front office move money from the other two years into this? 

So without any extensions or big number changes, he gets more up front.

Still, waiting for that Grady contract so he can get his!

37 minutes ago, atljbo said:

This is why i get both sides......I get Julio point of view that im on base salary now... IIm out here beasting it .. Playing injured and still balling for this team... He has noooo security left on his contract and he is being underpaid these last 3 years.

At the same time the team front loaded the contract for cap reasons because they knew Ryan deal was coming ... So far they have paid you market value (16mil per year)... The team know you are being under paid these next couple of years so they promised you to work on something next year.

Mannn.. IDK... He deserve more... I stand by that...He also have 3 years left on his deal yo

Exactly. Next year is still a conprimirse and the team doing him right one year early. No reason for team to cave now and Julio still has no leverage. He has to play period or they will sit on his contract next year too. 

3 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Same for me...Julio is just letting his displeasure show....not the first to do this...Im not concerned...the team has stated he will get it next year...so I expect him to be here when it counts...

If not...I will feel different

Do you not consider training camp to be "when it counts?"

Falcons&Dawgs#1Fan and gp_74 like this

1 minute ago, FentayeJones said:

I think its an overall problem that the NFL has in regards to contracts. The NFLPA negotiated a bad deal on behalf of players. All of the power lies with the owners.

Star players like Thomas, Mack, Donald, Julio, Bell are gonna have to stick to their guns.

Problem with using those names is that all of them are on their contract year except Julio...

gp_74 and PokerSteve like this

Just now, Clark said:

Do you not consider training camp to be "when it counts?"

No...not for a veteran....and everyone is still 0-0 during training camp

1 hour ago, Clark said:

So much for the "he will report" crowd.  This is turning into a nightmare and I am thoroughly disappointed in Julio.  I know a lot of you will try to act like this is no big deal, its business, etc., but this is pure selfishness and nothing more at this point. 

Yea, it is crazy selfish when you have 3 years left on your contract to put the teams season success at risk n a year when the team is the most loaded it has ever been and we have a real shot at playing the Super Bowl AT HOME.   I love Julio for all he has done for the team and think he deserves to be paid like the top player he is, but come on man.... why are you messing with team unity and preparation going into such a critical season?   The team has already said they will look at the contract after this season, which they don't have to do since there will still be 2 years left at that point.  The Falcons are showing good faith by even offering when they really don't have to until the contract is up... and even then they could Franchise tag... more than once.   

Come on Julio, show up, play, help the Falcons win a Super Bowl and make history by doing it at home.  You'll have even more leverage for money if that happens and you are a key contributor.

30 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Well, probably.  From my POV, these drops occurred in a season in which he made 2nd team All-Pro.  Drops happen.

What's not too common are WR's who have a 4 year production average of 103/1579/6.  So if we want to focus on the two plays above, maybe we should re-examine who is being unreasonable.

2nd team All pro does not win you games. That is a player specific accolade. I’d take an average of 1200 yards and 10+ TDs over 1500/6 everyday of the week.

If I'm the Falcons, I tell him that the extension next off season isn't happening if he holds out of camp. What's the point of extending someone who has already shown they aren't gonna show up even if you pay them a top of the league contract?

Every year the deals get bigger. You have to give up the big guarantee and play year to year if you want to maximize your pay. Julio took the big gurantee, now he isn't delivering what the team is supposed to get for guranteeing all that money.

Do yall see what I'm saying? It's not a threat or punishment. If a guy won't show up the minute his guranteed money is paid out, no smart business should offer him anything other than 1yr deals. An extension would be foolish on the part of the team.

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

I have to disagree.  Sark is in his 2nd year and has hopefully grown in his ability to move players around, manipulate defenses with different looks, utilize players strengths, etc.  Julio not being there will hinder that progress, don't you think? 

Edited by Clark
Jerz #DukeSZN likes this

4 minutes ago, Absolute said:

Problem with using those names is that all of them are on their contract year except Julio...

Don't matter, the point is getting paid what your worth.

Teams have no problem cutting players whether its in a contract year or if he has three years left - why does it matter when a players decide to hold out?

I want Julio to show for selfish reasons, but I still think he has a valid point.

1 minute ago, RING OF HONOR said:

It's a good thing all the other vets don't feel that way.

PokerSteve likes this

43 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

:vince:Trade away the best WR in the league?? Do you think that will help our chances of winning a Championship?? I'll go ahead and say,, I don't think so... what's great about JJ is not only is he the most talented player in the league.. He has a fantastic attitude and is a team player 100% ...  NO way will we trade him... He will help us win it all this year.

There's no doubt Julio is a beast and arguably the best WR in the league. We have tried to win a Lombardi with him for seven seasons and haven't been able to. Mainly because we were deficient in other areas. Elite WRs haven't been the key to a championship in over a decade. Solid all around teams have been the key. Our defense and special teams should improve this year. Julio's 10 targets, 6 touches, 97 yards and 0.5 TDs per game could be distributed to Free, Teco, Ridley, Sanu, Hoop, Hardy, Hall, Ito, Gage, Davis and Saubert and we will be harder to defend. The last time we spread the ball around like that was in 2016 when we set NFL records.

Just now, Clark said:

I have to disagree.  Sark is in his 2nd year and has hopefully grown in his ability to move players around, manipulate defenses with different looks, utilize players strengths, etc.  Julio not being there will hinder than progress, don't you think? 

I dont...everyone knows what he does and is capable of...he's plug and play..

Just now, FentayeJones said:

Teams have no problem cutting players whether its in a contract year or not - why does it matter when a players decide to hold out?

Because if all players held out whenever they wanted it would be total chaos. Contracts would then be completely useless. There has to be some degree of order.

sdogg likes this

1 minute ago, RING OF HONOR said:

I dont...everyone knows what he does and is capable of...he's plug and play..

So Julio doesn't need to be there to learn any wrinkles Sark has been working on? 

2 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

Teams have no problem cutting players whether its in a contract year or not - why does it matter when a players decide to hold out?

Why sign a player to a multi year deal if you can't count on them showing up? Seriously. Why extend Julio next year when he has demonstrated that he is unlikely to honor the deal?

PokerSteve and Googlywoogly like this