777 posts in this topic

Just now, JDaveG said:

I don't think the measure of a true fan is taking sides in a contract dispute between a player and management.  Sorry, I just don't.

Beyond that, this IS just business as usual.  It's not the first time a player has held it.  It won't be the last time.  Do I wish it didn't happen?  Sure.  Am I thinking the sky is falling?  Absolutely not.  It will get worked out, whether this year or next or whenever.  And Julio will play this season.  

It's not that it's nothing, it's just that it isn't that big a deal.

I like the way you twisted my words.  Good work!

PokerSteve likes this

33 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

I'm not defending his line of thinking.  This strategy seems odd.  I get the fact that seeing guys like Cooks, Watkins get paid like they have has to be galling to him.

But figuring he'd be placed at a higher priority than guys like Matthews, Grady...well, you won't get an argument from me.

That said, are we really saying that if Julio shows August 24 - a month from now, that this is going to be remembered once the season starts?  If the guy puts up his normal year, he's a stud.  The they talk contract in the off-season and alls good.

I think for most, this feels like long term damage because we got news/confirmation today.  6 months from now...it's a footnote

Well Grady and Matthews do take priority because they are about to be FA.

What happens if Julio doesn't put up numbers like last year? What if he gets hurt? Does the team extend him anyways just based on goodwill? Maybe before but it seems doubtful now. What would the team get out of extending him when they already have him under contract for 2 more years?

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

2 minutes ago, Clark said:

I like the way you twisted my words.  Good work!

I didn't twist a thing.  You said people who don't think it's a big deal are not true fans or have had the passion beaten out of them.

I don't think it's a big deal and nothing could be further from the truth.

1 minute ago, Peyton said:

They were just in the playoffs.  I may not disagree with you, but I doubt the organization is thinking that way.

I think their organization is realistic about where their franchise stands.  Recognizing that the franchise QB they just drafted is extremely raw.  Their star RB just had a really precarious off-the-field situation emerge that IMO makes him day-to-day for the entire season and 3/5th’s of their 2017 OL has been turned over.  The good 3/5th’s.

They likely have a good sense that they’ll be some growing pains that they’ll experience which could include a pretty rough 2018.  WR is amongst  quite a few roster issues there.

9 minutes ago, Clark said:

I wouldn't say Im "too deep into my feelings" about the Julio situation but I would be lying if I said I didn't have strong emotion and passion for my Falcons.  I am a Falcons fan through and through and I love football.  I look forward to it like nothing else, outside of the obvious things in life like family.  So when the best player on my team is pulling some trash like this, which could likely have an impact on something I am so passionate about, why is it unreasonable to feel a little emotion about the situation? 

I am genuinely confused because I see cats like you who act like you couldn't care less and it makes me wonder if you fellas are even fans. Cant tell if you aren't really that big of fans or if you are really that naïve to believe that this stuff wont have an impact.  At the very least its a distraction, but some of you guys act like everything that has gone down with Julio this offseason is just par for the course and literally nothing worth paying attention to. 

Maybe all these years of heartbreak the Falcons have put you through have killed your passion for the team, but not me.

Yeah, I was kind of expecting one of these takes...questioning my devotion as a fan. Congratulations on being the first.

I'm extremely passionate about the Falcons. I just have the ability to separate what is more than likely a temporary, solvable situation from an earth-shattering, devastating blow to my team.

You want to freak out? Knock yourself out...and I'll put my devotion to the Falcons up against yours every single ******* day of the week...and twice on Sunday. 

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

I didn't twist a thing.  You said people who don't think it's a big deal are not true fans or have had the passion beaten out of them.

I don't think it's a big deal and nothing could be further from the truth.

I was defending the "emotion" that I have about the situation.  In turn, I indicated that sometimes some peoples attitude on this board where they seemingly don't give a **** about the things happening with the team makes me question if I am even talking with fans or not.  Sorry I had to spell that out for ya more clearly.

5 minutes ago, maxatlanta said:

Well Grady and Matthews do take priority because they are about to be FA.

What happens if Julio doesn't put up numbers like last year? What if he gets hurt? Does the team extend him anyways just based on goodwill? Maybe before but it seems doubtful now. What would the team get out of extending him when they already have him under contract for 2 more years?

The situation needs to play out.  Julio isn’t old...he’s in his prime - entering his 8th season.  Don’t know why he’d have a bad year...I guess those things do happen from time to time so you can never say never...especially on the injury front.

But save for a catastrophic injury, I’d think that the Falcons plans for Julio entering 2019 wouldn’t be that much different than they are heading into this season.

I can understand Julios plight ..... to a point

But he still has 3 years left on a deal and that was at the time one of the largest EVER given to a WR.

Yeah it sucks to see less talented guys get paid more than you .... but that is part of the deal in sports. IT has happened to every  big money star to ever sign a deal... within a couple years their deal gets eclipsed.

If the Falcons gave him a new deal today....2 years from now we would be in the exact same spot.... because some team is going to grossly over pay someone like  the Chiefs did with  Sammy Watkins

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, GhostofGritz said:

Yeah, I was kind of expecting one of these takes...questioning my devotion as a fan. Congratulations on being the first.

I'm extremely passionate about the Falcons. I just have the ability to separate what is more than likely a temporary, solvable situation from an earth-shattering, devastating blow to my team.

You want to freak out? Knock yourself out...and I'll put my devotion to the Falcons up against yours every single ******* day of the week...and twice on Sunday. 

Im far from freaking out, but I also don't have a lot going on at work today so I am passing the time and engaging in a friendly debate on a message board.  This hasn't ruined my day or anything like that.  You can group me in the "chicken little" category all you want but I am perfectly able to separate my fandom for my team from my every day life. 

At the same time, I'm not naïve enough to look at this situation and think "nothing to see here" like so many others around here are pretending to do.

Edited by Clark
FalconFanSince1970 likes this

4 minutes ago, Clark said:

I was defending the "emotion" that I have about the situation.  In turn, I indicated that sometimes some peoples attitude on this board where they seemingly don't give a **** about the things happening with the team makes me question if I am even talking with fans or not.  Sorry I had to spell that out for ya more clearly.

I'm sorry that I find it to be a distinction without a difference.

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

I'm sorry that I find it to be a distinction without a difference.

To each his own I suppose. 

3 minutes ago, Clark said:

Im far from freaking out, but I also don't have a lot going on at work today so I am passing the time and engaging in a friendly debate on a message board.  This hasn't ruined my day or anything like that.  You can group me in the "chicken little" category all you want but I am perfectly able to separate my fandom for my team from my every day life. 

At the same time, I'm not naïve enough to look at this situation and think "nothing to see here" like so many others around here are pretending to do.

I didn't group anyone. I haven't mentioned a single individual in this thread. You placed yourself in that category.

Just now, JDaveG said:

Gritz apparently took it the same way I did.  So......

Im not worried how either of you took it honestly.  Not going to lose sleep over that either.

17 minutes ago, Clark said:

I wouldn't say Im "too deep into my feelings" about the Julio situation but I would be lying if I said I didn't have strong emotion and passion for my Falcons.  I am a Falcons fan through and through and I love football.  I look forward to it like nothing else, outside of the obvious things in life like family.  So when the best player on my team is pulling some trash like this, which could likely have an impact on something I am so passionate about, why is it unreasonable to feel a little emotion about the situation

I am genuinely confused because I see cats like you who act like you couldn't care less and it makes me wonder if you fellas are even fans. Cant tell if you aren't really that big of fans or if you are really that naïve to believe that this stuff wont have an impact.  At the very least its a distraction, but some of you guys act like everything that has gone down with Julio this offseason is just par for the course and literally nothing worth paying attention to. 

Maybe all these years of heartbreak the Falcons have put you through have killed your passion for the team, but not me.

It's normal not to be emotionally involved in another person's contract negotiations. It's normal to not worry about the money side. That's the joy of being a fan. We can just focus on the entertainment side of football, and we don't need to concern ourselves with something that 99.999% of you don't understand. Not many people in here have negotiated a contract. 99.999% of you have no real experience with contracts outside of building a Madden franchise and whatever contract breakdown you get from the Falcoholic and ESPN.

Some guys understand the cap better than others. None of us actually know how these negotiations take place. None.

8 minutes ago, Clark said:

Emotion clouds judgement...

7 hours ago, The Vent King said:

If they said they’re not redoing the contract, what good will this do?

Could be asking for a trade. 

Just now, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

Emotion clouds judgement...

Luckily I have no involvement in the situation so it doesn't matter if my judgment is compromised. 

4 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

The situation needs to play out.  Julio isn’t old...he’s in his prime - entering his 8th season.  Don’t know why he’d have a bad year...I guess those things do happen from time to time so you can never say never...especially on the injury front.

But save for a catastrophic injury, I’d think that the Falcons plans for Julio entering 2019 wouldn’t be that much different than they are heading into this season.

We mostly agree. I just think the team is not going to be as eager to extend him next year because of his current stance. The team has to get something in exchange for guranteeing a player big money. What is it that they get? What if the player has a history of taking the big guranteed money and then holding out with 3 years left on the deal? Does a smart business gurantee more money after that? Remember, Julio isn't a FA. We don't have to do anything at all and he will still be suiting up in red and black.

Just now, Clark said:

Luckily I have no involvement in the situation so it doesn't matter if my judgment is compromised. 

Exactly... which is why you need to chill out. Breath. Everything will be fine. Julio will play, you'll cheer for him.

Turning on one of the best players on the team because you're emotionally compromised is no measure of fandom.

Flying Falcon likes this

22 minutes ago, Clark said:

I wouldn't say Im "too deep into my feelings" about the Julio situation but I would be lying if I said I didn't have strong emotion and passion for my Falcons.  I am a Falcons fan through and through and I love football.  I look forward to it like nothing else, outside of the obvious things in life like family.  So when the best player on my team is pulling some trash like this, which could likely have an impact on something I am so passionate about, why is it unreasonable to feel a little emotion about the situation? 

So, if I don't react the same way you do, I'm either not a fan or too stupid to know what's going on?

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, Clark said:

Im not worried how either of you took it honestly.  Not going to lose sleep over that either.

Well, that really hurts, because I'm going to be up all night fretting about you questioning whether or not I'm a good fan.

Big 'ol slab of purple here.

Edited by GhostofGritz

1 minute ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

Exactly... which is why you need to chill out. Breath. Everything will be fine. Julio will play, you'll cheer for him.

Turning on one of the best players on the team because you're emotionally compromised is no measure of fandom.

I'm not going to boo him because I am emotional, I am just going to do it for fun.

PokerSteve likes this