31 posts in this topic

Vikings offensive line coach Tony Sparano dies at 56

0ap3000000923716.jpg
Digital Content Editor
  facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  whatsapp_icon.svg  
Print

Minnesota Vikings offensive line coach and former Miami Dolphins head coach Tony Sparano died unexpectedly Sunday, the team announced. He was 56.

"Our hearts go out to Jeanette and the entire Sparano family as we all mourn the loss of Tony," Vikings owners Mark and Zygi Wilf said in a statement. "Tony was a passionate and driven individual who cared deeply about his family, and especially enjoyed spending time with his grandchildren. Tony's presence within the Vikingsorganization will be deeply missed. We are only thinking of Tony's family during this incredibly difficult time. We ask that the entire NFL and Vikings family keep the Sparanos in their thoughts."

Sparano was entering his third season as the Vikings' offensive line coach under Mike Zimmer as part of a 20-year long NFL coaching career that began in 1999 when he was hired as an offensive quality control coach for the new Cleveland Browns franchise.

After several assistant coaching jobs with multiple NFL teams, the Dolphins hired Sparano as their head coach in 2008 following the team's 1-15 campaign. He guided the Dolphins to an 11-5 mark and a first-place finish in the AFC East in 2008, becoming the first coach in NFL history to lead a team to the postseason after a one-win season.

Sparano posted a 29-32 record in his nearly four seasons with the Dolphins.

He served as the Oakland Raiders' interim head coach in 2014 after the team fired Dennis Allen, posting a 3-9 mark.

Sparano was born in West Haven, Connecticut, on Oct. 7, 1961. He was a starting center for the University of New Haven, where he played from 1978-81 and helped the NCAA Division II team achieve its first undefeated season in 1979. He is a member of the New Haven Football Hall of Fame.

After breaking into the collegiate coaching ranks with his alma mater as an offensive line coach from 1984-87, Sparano spent six seasons at Boston College, where he served as an O-line coach before being promoted to offensive coordinator. He then returned to New Haven in 1994 as the team's head coach, posting a 41-14 record over five seasons before joining the Browns' coaching staff.

In addition to the BrownsDolphinsRaidersand Vikings, Sparano coached with the RedskinsJaguarsCowboysJets and 49ersduring his career.

Sparano is survived by his wife Jeanette, his sons Tony and Andrew, his daughter, Ryan Leigh, and his four grandchildren.

Dang this is crazy, he was so young nothing but Respect. Both he and Smith turned their franchises around when they came in. He brought them back from 1-15. R.i.p and take care man. Praying for the family

Edited by caponine

Just now, JD dirtybird21 said:

RIP coach. The wildcat was your thing, and it stole the division title away from the Pats. Quite an accomplishment if you consider the Pats have won that division 15 of the last 17 years

i forgot he made that famous. Now many other teams use it

JD dirtybird21 and PokerSteve like this

23 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Whatever hospital released him, they better get ready for a big *** lawsuit

I dont know the particulars...Im going to check now

20 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

I dont know the particulars...Im going to check now

Said he was complaining of chest pains and went to the hospital, was released Friday. Died this morning

It is possible to argue that he was released too early, which could be a form of malpractice...but unless there is documented proof that his condition was not stable enough to leave, suing would be a waste of time and money.  

I knew a guy who, at 42, spent four days in the hospital with lung and heart issues (obesity mainly).

He was signing his release forms, and literally died with the pen in his hand. 

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

Whatever hospital released him, they better get ready for a big *** lawsuit

58 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Said he was complaining of chest pains and went to the hospital, was released Friday. Died this morning

Yep, expect some folks to get fired from that hospital as well.

Sadly, stuff like this happens more often than reported publicly. It's crazy that you could go to a hospital and still get screwed. Especially in today's age of medical science.

PokerSteve and ya_boi_j like this

31 minutes ago, octoslash said:

It is possible to argue that he was released too early, which could be a form of malpractice...but unless there is documented proof that his condition was not stable enough to leave, suing would be a waste of time and money.  

I knew a guy who, at 42, spent four days in the hospital with lung and heart issues (obesity mainly).

He was signing his release forms, and literally died with the pen in his hand. 

where’s the full story with the hospital part ??

Wow i didnt know that stuff, hospitals dont keep you too long unless is something major they see. i believe they need to change that. Go over a full body scan. It could have been lungs, or abdomen. Some people need to get fired, that indirectly lead to his death. 

The sad truth is, when you're in the hospital ( in my case I had major intestinal surgery- went from 170lb to 152 in 4 days ) they follow procedures and checklists.  They follow the same schedules for almost every patient, taking blood, checking BP, urine, etc....and work in shifts just like people who run the Publix deli.  They don't even learn your name most of the time. 

It's a job to them; not that they don't care about you, but fact is, if your numbers are in the 'normal' range...why should they keep you any longer than the book says?  

That's why you can't just sue because your loved one dies later on.  Because by the book, the hospital did nothing wrong.  They admitted you, treated you, checked you, and released you.  Then you died.  Shame, but happens every day.

And, frankly, if they kept everyone bedridden a day or two longer than the book, just because the patient doesn't feel very well, every hospital in the world would be bigger than the Pentagon. 

19 minutes ago, octoslash said:

The sad truth is, when you're in the hospital ( in my case I had major intestinal surgery- went from 170lb to 152 in 4 days ) they follow procedures and checklists.  They follow the same schedules for almost every patient, taking blood, checking BP, urine, etc....and work in shifts just like people who run the Publix deli.  They don't even learn your name most of the time. 

It's a job to them; not that they don't care about you, but fact is, if your numbers are in the 'normal' range...why should they keep you any longer than the book says?  

That's why you can't just sue because your loved one dies later on.  Because by the book, the hospital did nothing wrong.  They admitted you, treated you, checked you, and released you.  Then you died.  Shame, but happens every day.

And, frankly, if they kept everyone bedridden a day or two longer than the book, just because the patient doesn't feel very well, every hospital in the world would be bigger than the Pentagon. 

False , they could have done an ultrasound/ echocardiogram or chest x ray. Not just blood work , chest x ray will show your lungs and detect certain heart problems and echo will show arteries/ blood vessels.

Edited by caponine