PokerSteve

Justin Bethel Named 'Key Off-Season Acquisition' By Falcons

23 posts in this topic

With all the excitement being generated by Calvin Ridley, Ito Smith and Deadrin Senat, the acquistion of former Arizona Cardinal cb Justin Bethel has not received a great deal of attention so far, but he is getting a little deserved recognition this week from Touchdown Wire, who named him the Falcons Key Off-Season Acquisition. He received the ranking as the top acquisition because of his Special Team skills, although he also started 6 games at corner for the Cardinals last season and is a recent 3-time pro bowler (2013-2015).

It's no secret the Falcons Special Teams unit has not performed to a very high level and improving that situation will be a crucial element in fulfilling the play-off and Super Bowl aspirations of one of the teams in the NFL with a legitimate shot of winning a Lombardi Trophy this season. I'm really looking forward to having this guy to become a leader of our ST unit. I anticipate a dramatic improvement in the unit and that improvement will play a key role in our success. Welcome Justin Bethel!

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/20/justin-bethel-named-key-offseason-acquisition-for-falcons/?utm_source=falconswire&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=pos1headline

Other than the draft I hope Fusco turns out to be a quality starting guard for us for the duration of his contract. 

Bethel walked into the perfect situation for his career though. A team desperate for a big time leader on ST. I hope he lives up to it because if our punt/kick coverage becomes fierce with the addition of Bethel and Gage, we will be as complete of a team as anybody.

6 minutes ago, shock said:

Other than the draft I hope Fusco turns out to be a quality starting guard for us for the duration of his contract. 

Bethel walked into the perfect situation for his career though. A team desperate for a big time leader on ST. I hope he lives up to it because if our punt/kick coverage becomes fierce with the addition of Bethel and Gage, we will be as complete of a team as anybody.

Yeah. If we get the ball rolling in all three phases, this team can become Winged Death to even the top teams on our schedule. This season could be epic, boys, and Tandy also of course. lol

Just getting to middle of the pack special teams wise will have a noticable impact on offense and defense.  We had the worst starting field position in the league, which means even though we were #2 in yards per drive it didn’t translate into as many points as it should have. 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

The way the kick off and return rules are now, I don't believe he's going to be much of a factor. Probably won't hear his name 

There will be more kick returns with the rule changes meaning coverage will be tested more. So having a star gunner who can get going down the field is more important. 

And our punt coverage was abysmal last season. 

Edited by shock

4 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

The way the kick off and return rules are now, I don't believe he's going to be much of a factor. Probably won't hear his name 

Yeah not sure i agree. From what the coaches were saying a lot of smaller guys on the field. Opens it up to trick plays and deception.  I think the nfl wanted less returns.  The changes made will probably yield the opposite. 

3 hours ago, shock said:

There will be more kick returns with the rule changes meaning coverage will be tested more. So having a star gunner who can get going down the field is more important. 

And our punt coverage was abysmal last season. 

I saw them talking about that on nfl channel, but I figured it'll be just more touch backs.. Idk 

I’ve been telling my friends I think our coverage unit on ST’s is going to be a huge upgrade and change the outcome of 2-3 games this season like the Rams game in the playoffs. Kazee, Gage, and Bethel are about to get at it! 

shock, PokerSteve and Tim Mazetti like this

16 minutes ago, camfalcon said:

I’ve been telling my friends I think our coverage unit on ST’s is going to be a huge upgrade and change the outcome of 2-3 games this season like the Rams game in the playoffs. Kazee, Gage, and Bethel are about to get at it! 

Really hope they feature Kazee on special teams. He came up big in the playoffs against LA. 

camfalcon and Tim Mazetti like this

Special teams has been atrocious  =  an understatement.

Fail to understand how Keith Armstrong is still a Falcon.

This will be his last year if he doesnt get his **** togetherw....with weapons we have now....we can be Top 10.

NeonDeion likes this

15 hours ago, Knight of God said:

By far he was my favorite Free Agent this year and that's not sarcasm.

With the offense and defense that we have, special teams desperately needed an upgrade!

Knight of God likes this

I'm confused, isn't this supposed to be a Julio thread? I thought that's all we were getting lately? haven't seen his name mentioned once, well, until now  :ninja::lol:

13 hours ago, camfalcon said:

How cool would it be if our offense and defense were really dominating teams...and so was our ST unit? What if we started beating even good teams by 3 or 4 TDs every week? I think I'd be good with it. :lol:

camfalcon likes this

18 hours ago, shock said:

Really hope they feature Kazee on special teams. He came up big in the playoffs against LA. 

He was everywhere. He had an outstanding game.

He might be the three safety.

The 2017 draft is shaping (Up or Down), but as Vandy said, wasn't a home run. To be decided............Comon' Riley and Harlow.

If all the other 2017 picks are fails, they got Takk and Kazee, which is much better than years when there were seemingly haphazard draft picks reaching for positions of need for players who didn't play more than two years..

They needed Takk and got him, though.