Falcons Fan MVP

Is Devonta Freeman the best running back in the NFL when healthy?

101 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Jerz said:

One play didn't lose the game but that one play was the turning point.

And Julio making the sideline catch was another turning point. Should have been game right there cause I dont see Bryant missing that FG

Just now, youngbloodz said:

Free doesn't get caught from behind that often. It's very very hard to get a clear path in the NFL. 

Lol you must not watch the falcons then because he gets caught a lot. Even Thomas Davis old *** caught him from behind on a crossing route lmao

Just now, youngbloodz said:

And Julio making the sideline catch was another turning point. Should have been game right there cause I dont see Bryant missing that FG

We wouldn't have even needed that amazing catch if it wasn't for the first turning point.

Just now, Jerz said:

Lol you must not watch the falcons then because he gets caught a lot. Even Thomas Davis old *** caught him from behind on a crossing route lmao

Free has been caught twice when running at a full sprint. Once was in the playoffs against Seahawks and the other was against the Saints

12 minutes ago, Jerz said:

We wouldn't have even needed that amazing catch if it wasn't for the first turning point.

Maybe or maybe not. If you think one play won or lost a football game you never played the sport. And this isn't a personal shot. Every game has a turning point. But you have several instances to overcome it too. Coach use to tell us all the time one play will never decide the game. 

17 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Maybe or maybe not. If you think one play won or lost a football game you never played the sport. And this isn't a personal shot. Every game has a turning point. But you have several instances to overcome it too. Coach use to tell us all the time one play will never decide the game. 

Saying one play was the turning point and one play lost the game are 2 totally different things in case you didn't know. If they just stopped one 2 point conversion the Patriots would not have won. The turning point put them in that position to give the Patriots enough time to make a comeback and they did.

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Jerz said:

Saying one play was the turning point and one play lost the game are 2 totally different things in case you didn't know. If they just stopped one 2 point conversion the Patriots would not have won. The turning point put them in that position to give the Patriots enough time to make a comeback and they did.

Momentum is a crazy thing it energizes one team and deflates the other , on the last drive they scored on before end of regulation and in overtime the team gave up. You could see it 

Edited by caponine
Jerz likes this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Devonta Freeman scores about 13 TDs a year and that's while splitting carries with Coleman. How would you guys rank Devonta Freeman against the top current running backs in the league or even against a Barry Sanders or an Emmitt Smith? 

Not close to Barry Sanders or Emmitt Smith.

Edited by Tim Mazetti

6 minutes ago, caponine said:

Momentum is a crazy thing it energizes one team and deflates the other , on the last drive they scored on before end of regulation and in overtime the team gave up. You could see it 

Exactly it's a very underrated aspect in sports. Though it can be subjective to gauge momentum it is very real.

Freeman is great but Coleman is on his level, even better at a lot of things. Freeman isn't even the best Falcons RB, that honor goes to Michael Turner. Discussing him with all-time greats is silly.

caponine and ya_boi_j like this

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, I give lengthy responses said:

Freeman is great but Coleman is on his level, even better at a lot of things. Freeman isn't even the best Falcons RB, that honor goes to Michael Turner. Discussing him with all-time greats is silly.

Coleman still hasnt reached his ceiling, do you know how dangerous he will be once he figures out his balance and better footwork ? He will be a nightmare. I have actually wanted him to train with someone like Eric Dickerson or maybe Earl Campbell , ( can help him learn how to break tackles easier )

Edited by caponine

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, youngbloodz said:

Free has been caught twice when running at a full sprint. Once was in the playoffs against Seahawks and the other was against the Saints

I have to agree with Jerz on this one. Free’s biggest weakness is his straight line speed. If you substituted Freeman into many of Gurleys long touchdown plays once the lane is open and they were running through it, more often than not Free gets caught. He was run down from behind way more than twice last year. Even his highlight videos show this.  

Edited by droopy1592
Jerz likes this

55 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

I have to agree with Jerz on this one. Free’s biggest weakness is his straight line speed. If you substituted Freeman into many of Gurleys long touchdown plays once the lane is open and they were running through it, more often than not Free gets caught. He was run down from behind way more than twice last year. Even his highlight videos show this.  

I only remember the Seahawks from the playoffs and the Saints. His highlight videos show him getting caught from an angle. He isn't the fastest. But even if he was he wouldn't be better than Bell,Johnson or Zeke which was my point before we got sidetracked 

1 hour ago, Jerz said:

Yes because me of all people didn't know that lol. So what exactly are you disagreeing with me on?

1 hour ago, caponine said:

Coleman still hasnt reached his ceiling, do you know how dangerous he will be once he figures out his balance and better footwork ? He will be a nightmare. I have actually wanted him to train with someone like Eric Dickerson or maybe Earl Campbell , ( can help him learn how to break tackles easier )

Earl can barely walk these days. It's no secret to breaking tackles. Dont stop your feet and keep your balance. 

1 hour ago, caponine said:

I think they were just tired. Rocky didn't have his legs on that last drive or he would have picked Brady. Ball hit him in the hands but he couldn't jump high enough

9 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Yes because me of all people didn't know that lol. So what exactly are you disagreeing with me on?

I could’ve asked you the same.

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Just off the top I'd go something like:

ACTIVE

1. Bell

2. Gurley

3. Free

4. McCoy

5. Elliot

RETIRED

1. Sanders

2. Payton

3. Brown

4. Smith

5. LT

No Zeke? I have to put LT over Smith 

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Just off the top I'd go something like:

ACTIVE

1. Bell

2. Gurley

3. Free

4. McCoy

5. Elliot

RETIRED

1. Sanders

2. Payton

3. Brown

4. Smith

5. LT

You wouldn't put a healthy Johnson or Elliot ahead of him? 

Is this FFS70 being a homer?

ya_boi_j and Yo_Lover like this

Posted (edited)

53 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I think they were just tired. Rocky didn't have his legs on that last drive or he would have picked Brady. Ball hit him in the hands but he couldn't jump high enough

its also momentum, this team was up 28-3 and they blew the lead , that will have some kind of mental effect. That has been one of the team’s biggest weakness. In the game against Patriots last season, the team treated that game like a sb, while the patriots saw it as just another game. And dont say the falcons didnt. Game in 2012 against the 49ers as well

Edited by caponine

Posted (edited)

Maybe not the best RB in the NFL on the field but certainly the best off the field at the negotiating table (perhaps with some credit to his agent).

The same Falcons front office that seems to be holding like a wall against Julio this year was absolute jello with Freeman last year.  The guy was good and coming off a great year (ignoring his gaffe in the Superbowl) but the Falcons knew they had Teco as a backup option and should have paid him a little less.

Edited by jlrfalcon
caponine likes this