Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
therawest

Trae Young

398 posts in this topic

This trio of Young-Collins-Huerter just feels special to me. Call it a hunch, but if they stay healthy and take a second year leap, we could have the makings of something really special for a long time. 

Seems like teams need three stars/superstars to really compete for the championship nowadays, and this triplet gives me the idea that they may very well could turn into that. We already see it in Collins. Trae is surpassing most expectations and is playing better in 2019, and Huerter is slowly putting his assets together. Add another really good piece or two from the draft to complement a bench with some young impact players like Spellman (21, contract thru 2023)/Bembry (24, thru 2021)/Prince* (24, thru 2021), and Len (25, thru 2020) and you are cooking with something for next year and beyond.

*I put Prince here as I believe we need a better starting SF unless Prince starts really committing to D - he already provides value offensively, but we need starters who play strong D if we are going to continue with Peirce's D'antoni-like offense.

Young is the key, and if he turns into a star/superstar PG, the league will have a real force on its hands for years to come. He already has the confidence, passing, an improved shot, and recent consistency - just needs to keep trending up on shot selection and letting the game slow down more for him.

Edited by ATL Fan in the DMV

6 hours ago, maorifalcon said:

One can dream

Young

Huerter

Williamson

Collins 

And a C

That's some talent right there

Bol Bol at C... his stock has dropped and he could be there when we pick again w/ Dallas's pick (10-12 range)

therawest likes this

On 2/5/2019 at 10:07 PM, tl;dr said:

Bol Bol at C... his stock has dropped and he could be there when we pick again w/ Dallas's pick (10-12 range)

I like Len. Not sure why he isn't getting more minutes. Seems capable.

What about Jaxson Hayes? You like him?

Spts1 likes this

9 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

PnR defense, sometimes a bad matchup when teams go small.

24 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

PnR defense, sometimes a bad matchup when teams go small.

We're not exactly lighting it up on defense. Play the man. He is a man child inside. Decent corner three shot.

20 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Haven't seen much of him, but I'll take a look at him!

On 2/6/2019 at 10:53 PM, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I like Len also.  

I know Young is well, Young,  which is the reason the offense flows better with Jeremy Lin in the game.  Trae seems to get himself pinned to one side of the floor a lot and his one on one game also stops the flow of the offense.  It is what it is when you have a shoot first point guard but its hampering the development in my opinion of Kevin Huerter.  Young rarely if ever kicks out to the wing on his drives.  Huerter is the TRUE offensive star of the team.  People say he isn't  being aggressive enough but I see otherwise.   You can't do nothing without the ball.  Trae needs to get a balance. 

Take Kyle Lowery for example.  He is a scoring point guard but he gets his teammates involved first.  He rarely comes down and either pulls up first or immediately tries to take his man off the dribble.  There is a balance to his game that Trae needs to learn.  Trae CAN do it because his assist numbers show it.  I just wanna see more of it.  We don't need Pete Maravich 2.0 because there is too much talent around him...

Edited by slickgadawg

If Young is a shoot first PG, then I guess Dennis Schroder was Carmelo Anthony caliber.

It's actually true that Kevin Huerter was gun shy offensively to start. I've flushed a lot of the early part of the season from mind as it was ugly, but some of the stuff I do remember as I was putting focus on rookies was that he'd get the ball and be gun shy to make any kind of offensive move to score. Now he's not, but you're really only seeing 75% of his game, I finally looked again and Maryland did have him running off of screens and the Hawks don't seem to do it, he does move off the ball but its mostly backdoor cuts and the occasional lob.

Now this could have to do with youth too and the simplest thing to with young players seems to me it'd be to run PNR and push the ball off of misses.

Edited by VoiceofReason95
No.11 likes this

4 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

I know Young is well, Young,  which is the reason the offense flows better with Jeremy Lin in the game.  Trae seems to get himself pinned to one side of the floor a lot and his one on one game also stops the flow of the offense.  It is what it is when you have a shoot first point guard but its hampering the development in my opinion of Kevin Huerter.  Young rarely if ever kicks out to the wing on his drives.  Huerter is the TRUE offensive star of the team.  People say he isn't  being aggressive enough but I see otherwise.   You can't do nothing without the ball.  Trae needs to get a balance. 

Take Kyle Lowery for example.  He is a scoring point guard but he gets his teammates involved first.  He rarely comes down and either pulls up first or immediately tries to take his man off the dribble.  There is a balance to his game that Trae needs to learn.  Trae CAN do it because his assist numbers show it.  I just wanna see more of it.  We don't need Pete Maravich 2.0 because there is too much talent around him...

Alright bro. I know you are trying to make a point about how good Huerter can be, but his development is hampered in no way by Trae Young. In fact, Young, Huerter, and Collins make for the most explosive offensive group on the team and is up there with the best in the league. 

They both are learning to play with one another and Huerter has the ball handling ability to take the pressure off of Trae.  Trae is top 6 in the NBA in assists and a lot of those go to Huerter.  

jayu70, Drew4719, No.11 and 3 others like this

Wow dude, I didn't even read past the first sentence because it's dead wrong. What team have you been watching?

Way to start off with basically "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, STOP READING NOW", saved me some time out of my day

According to deeper stats, Trae (in 5 games admittedly) is posting his best month of the year - and that was after his former best month of the year (January). He's posting career highs (month by month stats) in Points, 3FG%, Usage, Offensive Rating, Points/game, Rebounds/game, and Assists/game. This continues a trend that started in DEC of these stats increasing each month (except 3FG%, but it is the highest month all year). He's also averaging just 3 turnovers with 8.6 assists per game this month - career bests, too. His defensive metrics have cratered this month, but I'm hoping for a rebound here as it has gotten worse every month beginning with DEC.

Trae is growing more comfortable before our eyes, but he will have to eventually acquit himself better defensively to help stem offensive runs teams surely go on that can wipe away the offense he is so good at creating.

Its called constructive criticism.  Trust me, Coach Pierce drills Trae harder than anybody off the court. Trae has GOT to stop making careless turnovers.  If he gets that solved he will be a top point guard in the league.  A SCORING point guard has to limit turnovers because a turnover from the point guard is equal to TWO turnovers on one possession because of the failure to get a teammate a opportunity also.   He has gotten better but the Hawks have to limit turnovers overall as a team and it starts with your point guard...  He is averaging 4 turnovers a game. Kyle lowery for instance, is averaging 2.7 a game.  Now, Westbrook is averaging 4.7 turnovers a game but OKC can absorb it because Paul George is average 28 points a game along with Westbrooks 21 points a game.  The Hawks can't absorb high turnovers...

Other than that,  I like his game...

Trae's scouting report:

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2018/6/11/17448058/2018-nba-draft-scouting-report-trae-young-oklahoma-atlanta-hawks-shooting-point-guard-scoring

Weaknesses

Young does have just one glaring weakness on offense and it is a pretty big one with his turnovers and carelessness with the ball. While you may still be in awe of Young’s nearly 9 assists per game, let’s take a step back and also look at the fact that he averaged over 5 turnovers a game and, as a point guard, that has to be improved.

Edited by slickgadawg

Pierce has already stated that he is ok with the turnovers for now due to his extremely high usage rate. He is making good decisions overall, and will work through it with experience. One thing about younger players that people have to realize is they inevitably all will share most of the same issues:

Shooting consistency

Defense

Turnovers

Trae is more than likely to improve his shooting and turnovers as he’s already done so during the course of this season. The defense will likely never be a selling point but Trae has shown the moxie to at least be a crafty defender someday and that’s  a win in my eyes.

On 2/10/2019 at 1:36 PM, therawest said:

Alright bro. I know you are trying to make a point about how good Huerter can be, but his development is hampered in no way by Trae Young. In fact, Young, Huerter, and Collins make for the most explosive offensive group on the team and is up there with the best in the league. 

They both are learning to play with one another and Huerter has the ball handling ability to take the pressure off of Trae.  Trae is top 6 in the NBA in assists and a lot of those go to Huerter.  

You guys are way overselling huerter

On 2/14/2019 at 3:03 PM, TRUju2111 said:

You guys are way overselling huerter

Not me, but huerter as the 19th pick is looking like another steal. 

1 minute ago, therawest said:

Not me, but huerter as the 19th pick is looking like another steal. 

I agree but hes got a long ways to go, I don't see him as a big 3 like some on here think. 

On 2/5/2019 at 3:48 PM, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

This trio of Young-Collins-Huerter just feels special to me. Call it a hunch, but if they stay healthy and take a second year leap, we could have the makings of something really special for a long time. 

Seems like teams need three stars/superstars to really compete for the championship nowadays, and this triplet gives me the idea that they may very well could turn into that. We already see it in Collins. Trae is surpassing most expectations and is playing better in 2019, and Huerter is slowly putting his assets together. Add another really good piece or two from the draft to complement a bench with some young impact players like Spellman (21, contract thru 2023)/Bembry (24, thru 2021)/Prince* (24, thru 2021), and Len (25, thru 2020) and you are cooking with something for next year and beyond.

*I put Prince here as I believe we need a better starting SF unless Prince starts really committing to D - he already provides value offensively, but we need starters who play strong D if we are going to continue with Peirce's D'antoni-like offense.

Young is the key, and if he turns into a star/superstar PG, the league will have a real force on its hands for years to come. He already has the confidence, passing, an improved shot, and recent consistency - just needs to keep trending up on shot selection and letting the game slow down more for him.

need one big free agent , just a guy that can gel with the young guys and move us forward, 2019-20 should not be a wait and see year,