Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
therawest

Trae Young

388 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Black Francis said:

I don’t see where that’s happened. I mean. Complaints. Observations are made but that doesn’t equate a write off. Yeah I saw the bust comment. Most though are just more concerned than anything. Which is fair. As fans. My thing is to me Trae has to be as good or better than Doncic for this to be the right organizational move IMO. It’s early though. I’m on his side though. Behind him 1000 percent. 

Doncic is a good player.. smart with good size.. Trae isn’t quite there yet.. needs more time.. but that added pick.. that’s what made it worth it

therawest likes this

11 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

Doncic is a good player.. smart with good size.. Trae isn’t quite there yet.. needs more time.. but that added pick.. that’s what made it worth it

The only thing Doncic has on Trae is size. He's not gonna wear down as quick as Trae is. You're just looking at Trae's shooting. That needs time--and that, again, is more the product of his physical stature. But Trae's basketball IQ is second to none of any prospect drafted in the last couple of years, and that includes Doncic and Ben Simmons. He sees the floor that well. As a rookie he's already averaging as many assists per game as LeBron James does, and already has about 10 or so double-double games. He's a crafty dribbler who's already figured out some of the finer nuances of the pro game, like how to draw fouls and anticipating openings in the defense. For many players it takes years to get to that point. Heck, Schroder has been in the league for 5 years and he isn't at Trae's level.

There's a reason why opposing NBA teams from the start already sent double-teams to try and trap Trae, because he's that good, and even that hasn't slowed him down much because he's almost always finding the open guy before the double team gets to him. In one of the few games where an opposing team left him 1-on-1 for most of the game (Cleveland), Trae scored 35 points and still dished out 11 assists.

Don't get me wrong. Doncic and Trae were my favorite two players of the 2018 draft and I would have been ecstatic either way. I saw it in both of them--they just have it. They just have that ability to make things happen on the floor.

therawest likes this

1 hour ago, JerseyNo12 said:

The only thing Doncic has on Trae is size. He's not gonna wear down as quick as Trae is. You're just looking at Trae's shooting. That needs time--and that, again, is more the product of his physical stature. But Trae's basketball IQ is second to none of any prospect drafted in the last couple of years, and that includes Doncic and Ben Simmons. He sees the floor that well. As a rookie he's already averaging as many assists per game as LeBron James does, and already has about 10 or so double-double games. He's a crafty dribbler who's already figured out some of the finer nuances of the pro game, like how to draw fouls and anticipating openings in the defense. For many players it takes years to get to that point. Heck, Schroder has been in the league for 5 years and he isn't at Trae's level.

There's a reason why opposing NBA teams from the start already sent double-teams to try and trap Trae, because he's that good, and even that hasn't slowed him down much because he's almost always finding the open guy before the double team gets to him. In one of the few games where an opposing team left him 1-on-1 for most of the game (Cleveland), Trae scored 35 points and still dished out 11 assists.

Don't get me wrong. Doncic and Trae were my favorite two players of the 2018 draft and I would have been ecstatic either way. I saw it in both of them--they just have it. They just have that ability to make things happen on the floor.

Didn’t mean that as a slight to Trae at all.. Doncic has time in professional ball that Trae doesn’t.. but Trae will get better.. especially when he finds his shot..

but either way Trae + 1st > Doncic

On 12/23/2018 at 5:49 PM, TheTrue7 said:

Didn’t mean that as a slight to Trae at all.. Doncic has time in professional ball that Trae doesn’t.. but Trae will get better.. especially when he finds his shot..

That Dallas pick not looking like it's going to be a lottery pick. I'd rather have Doncic!

tactician likes this

4 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

That Dallas pick not looking like it's going to be a lottery pick. I'd rather have Doncic!

They are 12th in the West right now. Only 2 GB, but that pick could still very likely be a lottery pick

On 12/23/2018 at 7:01 PM, JerseyNo12 said:

There's more to BBIQ than passing, there's also shot selection and Trae's is terrible. His .254 three point percentage is dead last in the NBA, and it's not even close. He is also one of the worst defenders in the NBA. To omit his dreadful, historically bad shooting in your analysis is blind homerism of the highest order.

On 12/23/2018 at 8:49 PM, TheTrue7 said:

Only greater if the Hawks get the pick right. Very early signs is that they didn’t get their last pick right. In comparison. Which kills me. It just kills me. Time will tell though. Doncic looks like a generational player though. Trae looks like a good passer that can’t shoot or play defense. At all. 

m2Falcons likes this

7 hours ago, tactician said:

There's more to BBIQ than passing, there's also shot selection and Trae's is terrible. His .254 three point percentage is dead last in the NBA, and it's not even close. He is also one of the worst defenders in the NBA. To omit his dreadful, historically bad shooting in your analysis is blind homerism of the highest order.

I'm not. I'm just not emphasizing it as much as you are. I'm looking at every facet of his game, not just his shooting. 

Young had one of the highest, if not the highest, usage rate in college basketball his lone season at Oklahoma and now leads the Hawks in minutes per game at almost 30. He's relied upon to run the offense and by and large he's done it well despite the lack of shooting efficiency. The point is he's still managed to find ways to be a positive impact despite his liabilities. That's the mark of a good player.

You're still harping on shot selection. Trae attempted a whopping TWO threes last night and made BOTH, one of which was from about 30 feet out. He can make those shots, so why would anyone in their right mind make him stop shooting them? He'll learn to only take those shots when he's in rhythm and not force the issue (which it seems he has), but I wouldn't tell him never to shoot those again.

In the game prior to last night, he attempted ZERO threes. ZERO. Nevertheless, he uses the threat of his 3pt shot to drive into the lane. That's how the team has been getting so many points in the paint, because Trae usually finds Len or Collins in the pick n roll.

So enough of the bad shot selection argument because it's falling on its face.

He's a rookie who just turned 20 with only 1 season of college basketball experience dude. He's not even old enough to legally drink yet. Didn't even have a full off-season. If this were his second or third season then the shooting efficiency would be a great concern. But it's not, and Trae's a smart kid so I'm sure he'll get in some proper off-season training to strengthen his body and improve his shot. He's learning (quickly) what it takes to succeed at the pro-level. If you weren't so caught up in the numbers and actually watch his game, you'd see that he's ahead of the curve. Watch him in the pick n roll, which is the bread and butter of any successful PG.

therawest likes this

9 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

I'm not. I'm just not emphasizing it as much as you are. I'm looking at every facet of his game, not just his shooting. 

Young had one of the highest, if not the highest, usage rate in college basketball his lone season at Oklahoma and now leads the Hawks in minutes per game at almost 30. He's relied upon to run the offense and by and large he's done it well despite the lack of shooting efficiency. The point is he's still managed to find ways to be a positive impact despite his liabilities. That's the mark of a good player.

You're still harping on shot selection. Trae attempted a whopping TWO threes last night and made BOTH, one of which was from about 30 feet out. He can make those shots, so why would anyone in their right mind make him stop shooting them? He'll learn to only take those shots when he's in rhythm and not force the issue (which it seems he has), but I wouldn't tell him never to shoot those again.

In the game prior to last night, he attempted ZERO threes. ZERO. Nevertheless, he uses the threat of his 3pt shot to drive into the lane. That's how the team has been getting so many points in the paint, because Trae usually finds Len or Collins in the pick n roll.

So enough of the bad shot selection argument because it's falling on its face.

He's a rookie who just turned 20 with only 1 season of college basketball experience dude. He's not even old enough to legally drink yet. Didn't even have a full off-season. If this were his second or third season then the shooting efficiency would be a great concern. But it's not, and Trae's a smart kid so I'm sure he'll get in some proper off-season training to strengthen his body and improve his shot. He's learning (quickly) what it takes to succeed at the pro-level. If you weren't so caught up in the numbers and actually watch his game, you'd see that he's ahead of the curve. Watch him in the pick n roll, which is the bread and butter of any successful PG.

Ok fair enough. But dead last in NBA among qualified players? Dead last. Something is not right, and it can't just be chalked up as standard rookie growing pains.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:34 AM, Black Francis said:

Only greater if the Hawks get the pick right. Very early signs is that they didn’t get their last pick right. In comparison. Which kills me. It just kills me. Time will tell though. Doncic looks like a generational player though. Trae looks like a good passer that can’t shoot or play defense. At all. 

I think we got the pick right, the guy we traded just may be better. Let's say we get Zion, Reddish or Barrett with our first and then pick up another decent player with the Mavs pick (between 8-12 we will say). I think Trae could be awesome in a system with Collins, 1 of the Duke 3, and another top 10 pick. 

I've been a critic of Trae's 3 point shot selection, but the last two weeks he's has been showing great restraint. And his shooting is trending up and he's no longer leading the team in shot attempts.

Last 10 games, shooting 39% from the field and 28% from 3-pt range.

Last 5 games, shooting 42% from the field and 46% from 3-pt range.

therawest likes this

52 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

I've been a critic of Trae's 3 point shot selection, but the last two weeks he's has been showing great restraint. And his shooting is trending up and he's no longer leading the team in shot attempts.

Last 10 games, shooting 39% from the field and 28% from 3-pt range.

Last 5 games, shooting 42% from the field and 46% from 3-pt range.

Seems like he is taking better shots and not jacking up junk. 

jayu70 likes this

8 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Seems like he is taking better shots and not jacking up junk. 

Lol his shot selection hasn't changed. It's the volume that's decreased, which has led to the uptick in efficiency.

He's still shooting darn near half court bombs (his only attempt last night and one of two taken against the Pacers), only difference is he's making them because he's shooting them in rhythm and with confidence.

Coach Pierce must have changed the game plan so that Trae is taking less shots (which has led to the uptick in Bazemore's and Huerter's attempts), and it's working well. Trae's confidence is improving and his decision making has improved as well.

That's why some of y'all need to get off the the kid's back, talking like he's a bust. He was drafted mainly because he's one of the smartest players in the draft, the other one being Doncic.

3 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Lol his shot selection hasn't changed. It's the volume that's decreased, which has led to the uptick in efficiency.

He's still shooting darn near half court bombs (his only attempt last night and one of two taken against the Pacers), only difference is he's making them because he's shooting them in rhythm and with confidence.

Coach Pierce must have changed the game plan so that Trae is taking less shots (which has led to the uptick in Bazemore's and Huerter's attempts), and it's working well. Trae's confidence is improving and his decision making has improved as well.

That's why some of y'all need to get off the the kid's back, talking like he's a bust. He was drafted mainly because he's one of the smartest players in the draft, the other one being Doncic.

Whatever it is... keep it up lol. I'm a believer in Young. 

Trae strong again tonight :

21 and 9 on 8/16 FG, 2/6 from 3, with 1 steal and 3 turnovers. 

Took a very bad 3 with the game tight in the waning seconds, but other than that it was yet another strong game in a recent spate of strong performances. 

11 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

We screwed the pooch again. Tell me why did we pass on Doncic?  Was there a deal the shark Cuban offered the Hawks to get him?  

Guess y'all think it's cool to s*** on Trae.

6 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Guess y'all think it's cool to s*** on Trae.

Not on him per se but he's not as good as Doncic. I'm sh.... on a franchise that passed over chris Paul and fired d ferry. 

11 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

Not on him per se but he's not as good as Doncic. I'm sh.... on a franchise that passed over chris Paul and fired d ferry. 

Because they picked Trae and got an extra first rounder for Doncic. 

Look, I like Doncic, he was one of my favorite players in that draft, but Trae will be a superstar in this league.  

His shooting is improving, his defense has noticeably improved (guys may get him with size but they're not blowing by him as easily), and he continues to rack up assists throwing dimes to his teammates.

VTCrunkler and therawest like this

14 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Because they picked Trae and got an extra first rounder for Doncic. 

Look, I like Doncic, he was one of my favorite players in that draft, but Trae will be a superstar in this league.  

His shooting is improving, his defense has noticeably improved (guys may get him with size but they're not blowing by him as easily), and he continues to rack up assists throwing dimes to his teammates.

Well it's hard to swallow when all you hear from the echo chamber (espn) is how good Doncic is and "should teams have passed on him". It's incendiary. 

Its really too early to tell anything yet, but we can all be prisoner to the moment. 

20 hours ago, UGABOZ said:

Love young but Luka is way better and ceiling is a lot higher 

I not sure his ceiling is higher. Everyone knew Luka would be a good player early in his career due to his success on a professional level and his size, but his ceiling is a lot closer to his floor, which is pretty good. Trae Yound on the other hand always had the lowest floor and the highest ceiling in the draft. He has already proven he is not a bust and is second only to Luka as far as draft picks go. In my opinion we have already won the the trade because at worst we got the second best player in a loaded draft and a future draft pick. We also have have a shot at Zion Williamson. 

Drew4719, No.11 and blkbigdog35 like this