Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
therawest

Trae Young

398 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, No.11 said:

Is that what you think of Stephen Curry? Just so so?

I was gonna say the same thing. His defense is adequate. If we are expecting him to be an all world defender, then we are misguided.  

20 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

We need to find out the idiot who didn't vote for Trae as a top 3 Rookie. 

It doesn't matter, Trae is the better player.

Man, looking back through those Twitter threads is hilarious.  It's one thing to say you wouldn't have drafted a guy there, and I totally get people bagging on the Hawks for trading Doncic.  But if Doncic is that good, you really don't have to go out of your way to pretend Trae is that bad.  And they did it anyway.

I guess some folks just enjoy looking like idiots.

Falcons In 2012 likes this

19 hours ago, No.11 said:

Is that what you think of Stephen Curry? Just so so?

He DOES play defense but this is....

13 minutes ago, red2play said:

:lol:

35 minutes ago, red2play said:

This is why statistics are bad because people like Espn make up ******** to justify why certain people win awards. Even why certain people are better than other players. 

These things are the reason guys like James Harden or Stephen Curry get MVP, but the actual guy I'd rather build team around to bring my city championship(Kwahi Leonard) don't.

2 hours ago, red2play said:

Trae will never be a great defender.  Just not happening.  But neither is Steph or Harden

This is why we traded for Evans & drafted two A- defenders in the 1st round.

You can find defenders.  What Trae does everywhere else on the basketball court can’t be found except in the draft and only once every 6-8 ears

JDaveG likes this

2 hours ago, Zone#7 said:

This is why statistics are bad because people like Espn make up ******** to justify why certain people win awards. Even why certain people are better than other players. 

These things are the reason guys like James Harden or Stephen Curry get MVP, but the actual guy I'd rather build team around to bring my city championship(Kwahi Leonard) don't.

Well Giannis won MVP this year despite Harden averaging almost 10 more points a game. The fact that Giannis was also a All-NBA first team defender and a DPOY finalist I imagine swayed the vote, as it should have. 

2 hours ago, red2play said:

Not gonna get hung up on that. We knew he sucked on that side, but it's not for lack of effort. Trae did get better as the year went on. I didn't see players blow by him so much in the back half of the season. I expect him to keep improving on that end so he won't be a total liability defensively. He's a smart kid. Trae will figure it out and coach Pierce will help get him to where he needs to be fundamentally. 

1 hour ago, No.11 said:

as it should have.

im glad defense actually played a part in this voting.  Giannis also has a higher PER than Harden.  

I love Trae but I'm not going to cover for him either.  I believe he can have a few rings BUT he needs to be near the middle of the pack in defense to do so.

Trae looks bigger in that video.  He's definitely added some muscle and weight.

It's kinda gotten ridiculous how so many people treat defense in basketball like it's a one-on-one individual concept when it's very much a TEAM one.  People who talk like it's an individual metric almost assuredly have never actually played organized basketball.

Basketball is very similar to football where defense involves a circular compounding/exponential component.  ie: when the DL gets pressure, it's easier for the secondary to cover and get pd's/ints... when the secondary covers well, it's easier for the DL to get pressure/sacks... and around it goes.

In basketball, when everyone is on the same page and giving max effort, you can shrink the court for the opposing offense, force them into low percentage passing/scoring attempts with their least efficient ball handlers/passers/scorers, and essentially dictate your opponents offensive tendencies.

One guy can't do that on his own. 

I've never seen Trae slack off on defense.  He's giving max effort the vast majority of the time when off-ball.  And aside from natural physical length and athleticism, defense is mostly about effort with a bit of instincts and communication sprinkled in.  Everyone in the NBA knows proper defensive techniques by this point.  They aren't a mystery or even difficult.  Your team has a system with a set of rules you learn and follow and that's it.  It's the responsibility for each player to know the rules of your team's system, and then apply max effort and communicate with each other to make it all as efficient as possible.

And when that happens, even people who are not physically gifted with great length can appear to be incredible defenders.  They're getting steals, blocking shots, intercepting passes, and getting credit for turnovers because the TEAM is manufacturing the opportunities together.

Trae is catching way too much individual flack for a TEAM problem.

You put Trae with 4 guys who know the rules of the system (when and how to switch/transition off screens/picks, when/how/whom to press/box, who on the opposing team are the weak links you want handling and shooting the ball and how to get the ball funneled to them by pressing other players at proper times, etc. etc.), and who consistently communicate with each other and give max effort during off-ball moments, and he'll look like a very good defender.

This isn't going to happen overnight with a new coach and a new system.  If we don't have a dynamic defense by 2021, THEN we can likely point at specific player's effort in play and willingness to learn and execute the rules of the system they're in, and either determine they're too stupid or they're just lazy.  And I can guarantee you, Trae isn't stupid or lazy, so he's not going to be the one to be concerned about if we're still not playing good defense.

No.11 likes this

22 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

We need to find out the idiot who didn't vote for Trae as a top 3 Rookie. 

Found him!

He probably thought Dennis was still a Hawks and trying to stick it to Trae even more!

He got fired apparently.

GEORGIAfan likes this

5 hours ago, jayu70 said:

Man, his handles were already pretty good coming out of college, but Trae is looking sharper and his footwork is on point. 

jayu70 and blkbigdog35 like this

22 hours ago, red2play said:

That tweet is from one month into his rookie year. Where did he finish?

jayu70 likes this

21 hours ago, No.11 said:

Man, his handles were already pretty good coming out of college, but Trae is looking sharper and his footwork is on point. 

When your range is 35 feet and you’re that quick, you’re literally not guardavle.  And the subtle hesitation mid dribble will always put a defender on his heels.  Still scratching the surface of what he can do.  Another 15 lbs of muscle will result in an extra 6-7 ppg

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

When your range is 35 feet and you’re that quick, you’re literally not guardavle.  And the subtle hesitation mid dribble will always put a defender on his heels.  Still scratching the surface of what he can do.  Another 15 lbs of muscle will result in an extra 6-7 ppg

Maybe, but bulking up should help him more with defense and durability. 

Falcons In 2012 likes this

5 minutes ago, No.11 said:

Maybe, but bulking up should help him more with defense and durability. 

And to absorb contact and finish plays at the rim +1