Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
therawest

Trae Young

398 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2018 at 5:39 PM, therawest said:

Anybody thinks that Trae Young leads Luka Doncic in ROY votes?

I will go out on a limb and say yes. 

no.   ESPN loves them some Luka - he is their darling and ESPN loves Dallas more than Atlanta.

Luka will get the ROY.

Just now, Black Francis said:

They should at least award co ROY’s like Jason Kidd and Grant Hill. 

I agree.   Luka was more consistent all year and a little more efficient - but Trae dominated from All-star break on.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

I agree.   Luka was more consistent all year and a little more efficient - but Trae dominated from All-star break on.

Trae dominated enough from February 1st that he generated high praise from NBA guru Brian Windhorst. 

g-dawg likes this

51 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

no.   ESPN loves them some Luka - he is their darling and ESPN loves Dallas more than Atlanta.

Luka will get the ROY.

It won't be unanimous though. 

Anyway, I'd wager that we'll see Trae in the Finals sooner than Luka.

Black Francis and Drew4719 like this

15 hours ago, g-dawg said:

All things being equal, I would give it to Luka.  He was great from game 1.  Trae closed the gap and was the better player from January on.  

There is one stat that may earn  Trae Co-ROY honors.  His is lethal in the final 4 minutes and an absolute assassin on game-winning shots.  Clutch play should factor into this vote

g-dawg and Drew4719 like this

Ice Trae:

Inpredictable has Young as the NBA’s 7th-highest clutch time shot taker, with 127 clutch shots taken. On those 127 shots, Trae is shooting 45.3 percent, which is higher than Russell WestbrookJames Harden and DeMar Derozan among players that have attempted at least 100 clutch shots.

Inpredictable also goes one step further with shots that are deemed as “double clutch,” which are shots that have a direct impact on a game’s outcome – such as buzzer beaters or potential buzzer beaters.

Loading video

According to the site, Trae has attempted 17 double clutch shots and had a rock-solid 50 percent effective field goal percent on those attempts. Since the calendar flipped over to January, Trae has been very consistent in double clutch scenarios – with a 6 of 12 shooting performance in the double clutch times in 2019, including 2 of 3 in the recent game against Philly.

Unquestionably, Trae Young has the “clutch gene” that so many players throughout history have lacked. Though his defense could be described lovingly as “adventurous,” if he can come back on the other end and splash a clutch triple in a defender’s face, I have a feeling that Atlanta Hawks fans won’t quite mind that he allowed a bucket on defense.

5 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

All things being equal, I would give it to Luka.  He was great from game 1.  Trae closed the gap and was the better player from January on.  

There is one stat that may earn  Trae Co-ROY honors.  His is lethal in the final 4 minutes and an absolute assassin on game-winning shots.  Clutch play should factor into this vote

I am tired of people saying Trae Young struggled to start the season. It’s a lie. The man average 17pts and 7 assists. Name one other rookie who did that. There were only 5 there people in the NBA putting up those numbers and they were all stars. People will point to his 3pt percentage and say it was terrible, but during that time he adjusted his game to drive to the lane and get to the free throw line. Luka’s shooting percentage was just as bad. Trae kept us in every game. 

He had more total points than Luka

more wins in games he played than Luka

more total assists than Luka

more games played then Luka (more durable)

more clutch shots than Luka

more jaw dropping plays than Luka

all with fewer minutes per game.  

No professional experience before this year  

The race is a lot closer than people want to give it credit for  

oh and we got Cam too...

JDaveG likes this

I’m glad Trae has blown up like does. Espn was completely sukin Donic. Makes me feel better about Picking Trae over Doncic. 

I love Trae Youngs game but if he doesn't pick up his defense, he can only be so so.

6 hours ago, red2play said:

I love Trae Youngs game but if he doesn't pick up his defense, he can only be so so.

Is that what you think of Stephen Curry? Just so so?

Zone#7 and jayu70 like this

1 minute ago, No.11 said:

Is that what you think of Stephen Curry? Just so so?

I was gonna say the same thing. His defense is adequate. If we are expecting him to be an all world defender, then we are misguided.  

jayu70 likes this

37 minutes ago, therawest said:

I was gonna say the same thing. His defense is adequate. If we are expecting him to be an all world defender, then we are misguided.  

That one of the reasons why Hunter and Reddish were drafted. They are both add to the defense and will help make Trae look less of a liability on that side.

jayu70 likes this

Posted (edited)

35 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

What’s the breakthrough mean?

He had a bad month and half (Oct/Nov)shooting from 3 (19% in Nov), he was called a bust, said Hawks made a bad trade.....amd then......here he comes in December until the end of the season.:D

Edited by jayu70
VTCrunkler and blkbigdog35 like this

I remember reading a few times that defense wasn't a priority last season and that we would see more focus on defense this season, so I am not worried. Remember that Pierce was the 76ers defense coach. If you look at how their defense has struggled since leaving, you know he had a great impact for them. 

On 6/22/2019 at 4:22 PM, VTCrunkler said:

I’m glad Trae has blown up like does. Espn was completely sukin Donic. Makes me feel better about Picking Trae over Doncic. 

Many talking heads trashed Trae Young and the Hawks for trading down to get him. Very few, like Rashad Phillips and Rod Strickland got it right.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RP3natural/status/1107614269653291010?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1142784226808487936&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fheavy.com%2Fsports%2F2019%2F06%2Fatlanta-hawks-trae-young-rashad-phillips%2F

This Twitter feed just says it all. It's like folks were getting paid to talk trash about Trae. They all look very stupid right now. Skip and Simmons look especially stupid. The sad thing was NBA fans ate this garbage up like it was gospel and regurgitated it without actually watching Trae play. They see a couple of highlights of him launching long threes and jumped aboard the Steph comparisons train. They all conveniently forgot that Trae led the NCAA D1 in points AND assists, which has never been done before or since. Dude was averaging about 28 PPG and 9 APG on an Oklahoma team that was average at best and had no business being in the tournament, but Trae dragged them to the Sweet 16. 

Thankfully Schlenk saw the real Trae. No he isn't a Steph clone, and he never will be. Their only similarities are their physique and shooting ability, anf that's where it ends. Trae is a cerebral PG and a dynamic playmaker who, even as a rookie, was dissecting defenses and exploiting their openings at a high level. 

The PG position is the hardest position to learn in the NBA. It shouldn't have come as a surprise that Trae struggled early on, but he was still making plays even if there were a lot of mistakes. Trae came in and had to be a leader from day 1. Run the offense. Know both his teammates and opponents tendencies, schemes, etc. Doncic didn't need to do that as he already had a solid vet in Dennis Smith for half the season or so. He could hit the ground running. Trae didn't have that luxury. But to nevertheless learn and adapt as quickly as he did is nothing short of amazing. That's why he's equally, if not more deserving of rookie of the year.

Beef, FalconsIn2020, JDaveG and 2 others like this

1 hour ago, jayu70 said:

He had a bad month and half (Oct/Nov)shooting from 3 (19% in Nov), he was called a bust, said Hawks made a bad trade.....amd then......here he comes in December until the end of the season.:D

The. Yes yes he certainly was the breakout player of the year. 

1 hour ago, No.11 said:

Many talking heads trashed Trae Young and the Hawks for trading down to get him. Very few, like Rashad Phillips and Rod Strickland got it right.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RP3natural/status/1107614269653291010?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1142784226808487936&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fheavy.com%2Fsports%2F2019%2F06%2Fatlanta-hawks-trae-young-rashad-phillips%2F

This Twitter feed just says it all. It's like folks were getting paid to talk trash about Trae. They all look very stupid right now. Skip and Simmons look especially stupid. The sad thing was NBA fans ate this garbage up like it was gospel and regurgitated it without actually watching Trae play. They see a couple of highlights of him launching long threes and jumped aboard the Steph comparisons train. They all conveniently forgot that Trae led the NCAA D1 in points AND assists, which has never been done before or since. Dude was averaging about 28 PPG and 9 APG on an Oklahoma team that was average at best and had no business being in the tournament, but Trae dragged them to the Sweet 16. 

Thankfully Schlenk saw the real Trae. No he isn't a Steph clone, and he never will be. Their only similarities are their physique and shooting ability, anf that's where it ends. Trae is a cerebral PG and a dynamic playmaker who, even as a rookie, was dissecting defenses and exploiting their openings at a high level. 

The PG position is the hardest position to learn in the NBA. It shouldn't have come as a surprise that Trae struggled early on, but he was still making plays even if there were a lot of mistakes. Trae came in and had to be a leader from day 1. Run the offense. Know both his teammates and opponents tendencies, schemes, etc. Doncic didn't need to do that as he already had a solid vet in Dennis Smith for half the season or so. He could hit the ground running. Trae didn't have that luxury. But to nevertheless learn and adapt as quickly as he did is nothing short of amazing. That's why he's equally, if not more deserving of rookie of the year.

I’m afraid I bought into it lock stock and barrel. All the talking heads were against Trae and the Hawks. The coverage shed is in a poor light. They were piling on. Now I realize that ESPN is garbage so not to take their works personally because it’s all about the clicks for them. 

I never really saw the steph comparisons. I thought that’s maybe she. We were trying to duplicate- but it seems like that’s not it at all. Trae is a part of a young core. Schlenk hitting it out of the park-again.  

JDaveG likes this