Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
therawest

Trae Young

317 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

That is awesome company.

Nobody is touching Oscar Robinson's record. That 24 games of 30/10 as a rookie is just ridiculous.

He averaged a triple double in his second season. 30.8 pts, 12.5 reb, 11.4 ast. Dude was an animal.

Drew4719 and DawnOfThemBirds like this

19 hours ago, jayu70 said:

The passing insticts, timing and just plain balls to make this pass, just has me in awe.

It goes to show the trust and chemistry him and Collins have. But it is also great vision and anticipation on Trae's part because he saw Redick switched on Collins which is a huge size (and athleticism) advantage. It really is like watching Nash and Stoudomire back in their heyday. 

Drew4719 and jayu70 like this

On 3/27/2019 at 6:50 PM, blkbigdog35 said:

Trae Young’s magical bag of passing tricks

The Atlanta Hawks’ rookie is already one of the NBA’s best passers. Here are all the ways he slices up defenses.

By Nekias Duncan 

on March 27, 2019 12:32 pm

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/3/27/18283874/trae-young-highlights-passing-atlanta-hawks

This is an amazing read.

Glad that some. guys are able to admit they were wrong.

Drew4719, therawest and blkbigdog35 like this

34 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

This is an amazing read.

Glad that some. guys are able to admit they were wrong.

No doubt Jay I truly had some doubts at the beginning but I’m glad he’s a Hawk!!

Since February 1st Trae has been better than Luka IMO and better down the stretch which matters way more than early season numbers. He should win rookie of the year even though he won’t. 

I don't really care if he wins ROTY, and Luka would be a plenty deserving winner.  I just get annoyed by all the people who are like "lol it's not close" or "trae only been good since the all star break."  

Only one other rookie, ever, has put up Luka's line: Oscar Robertson.

Of course, only two other rookies, ever, have put up Trae's line: Oscar Robertson and Damon Stoudamire.

Oscar and Damon both played like 10 more minutes per game than either Luka or Trae.  On a Per-36 basis, only one rookie has ever put up the lines put up by either Luka or Trae, and that's Robertson who was just an ahead-of-his-time-and-the-rest-of-the-league freak of nature.

Posted (edited)

I just want to say that when I started this topic, it was a few weeks after the Doncic trade. After getting over what could have been, I started to look at what we had. What I saw was an amazing individual who needed his own space and recognition. Dude was phenomenal in college and the way the rules are in the NBA today, Schlenk knew they would translate. It also happens to be a very fun brand of basketball. I am glad he stepped out of the trade shadow and made his own mark. Although I love his shooting and passing ability, I really like his intangibles more. He is not afraid of the big moments, his mental toughness is off the charts, his physical toughness is better than I thought, he understands entertainment value, and he has the hunger and killer instinct to take us to a level we haven’t been before. And to think, we may get another high lottery pick in addition to that. Amazing. 

Hats off to the young man. I look forward to many more years of his play. 

Edited by therawest
Typo

Inside the dark, daunting art of the NBA's toughest position

The initiation is a baptism of fire, one both Gilgeous-Alexander and Atlanta Hawks guard Trae Youngendured over the course of the season. The two players, both of whom will turn 21 this summer, are markedly different in their profiles. Gilgeous-Alexander is tall, long and versatile, with a keen eye for opportunities on both ends -- crafty, in scout-speak. Young is small and not explosive in a traditional sense, but carries an innate ability to create offense.

"You can't be too fast," Shai Gilgeous-Alexander said. "That's where I get in trouble -- when I get sped up, or when I play too slow." Adam Pantozzi/NBAE via Getty Images

During the opening months of the season, both 2018 lottery picks were often overmatched. That's not to say there weren't glimpses of Gilgeous-Alexander's agility and vision or Young's freaky intuition as a budding pick-and-roll artist, but in regard to Nash's checklist -- servicing teammates, accuracy as a passer, efficiency as a scorer -- neither displayed consistent proficiency. But over the course of the winter, both guards blossomed. Gilgeous-Alexander orchestrated an improbable playoff run with a roster largely filled with a combo of vets and rookies, and Young anchored a young nucleus during a classic rebuild. Both relied on the counsel of experienced mentors -- Cassell for Gilgeous-Alexander, and Marlon Garnett (Steve Nash's backcourt partner at Santa Clara) for Young. But neither rookie was furnished with a manual.

"First play they're pressuring him with two elite defenders," Pierce says. "They're all into Trae, and he just blows by them and gets to the rim. So now in the pick-and-rolls, we relieve some of that pressure by setting screens, and now the big has to help. So Trae facilitates -- he hits John [Collins] for a pocket pass, then he hits someone else for a pocket pass. He took advantage of pressure and made the right reads." After leading by 15 in the third quarter, the game tightened. Those surgical possessions when Young looked like a veteran point guard leveraging the Clippers' defensive pressure for opportunities disappeared. Young was now a rookie again, one who somehow lost the confidence that guided those pocket passes...........

............"While Young was watching video of Nash, Nash was simultaneously watching video of Young at the request of his two former Santa Clara teammates, Garnett and Pierce. And what Nash noted was this: Young was putting undue pressure on himself early in the season trying to break out of his scoring slump. There were nights when it seemed as if his primary objective was finding better looks rather than simply identifying the best play on the floor.

"Once he started making plays, he started shooting the ball better," Nash says. "It took the pressure off his shot, because his teammates are loving the shots they're getting. And two, he's putting the defense in tough positions, because they're like, 'Well, he's killing us either way now.'"

Relying on Nash's precept that defenses can help a point guard make better decisions simply by informing him of what's most available, Young killed the league every which way in the season's final months. After the All-Star break, Young averaged 24.7 points, 4.7 rebounds and 9.2 assists on a true shooting percentage of 58. Among the 194 players who passed the ball more than 500 times over that stretch, Young ranked third in shot quality off passes, according to Second Spectrum tracking data.

"The reason he's scoring 30 and getting 10 assists is that he's learned how to take advantage of how the defense is playing him," Pierce says. "He's figured it out."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26521793/inside-dark-daunting-art-nba-toughest-position

Congrats to ICE Trae!!!!!

Hawks’ Trae Young finalist for Rookie of the Year

By

• Chris Vivlamore, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
  • Trae Young was named a finalist for the NBA Rookie of the Year, the league announced on Friday. The Hawks point guard is joined by the Mavericks’ Luka Doncic and the Suns’ DeAndre Ayton.

The list continues to link Young and Doncic, who were traded for each other on draft night. The Hawks took Donic with the No. 3 pick and the Mavericks took Young with the No. 5 pick. The Hawks also acquired a first-round pick in the deal, which will be the No. 10 selection in this year’s draft. Ayton was the No. 1 overall pick.

Young appeared in 81 games this season, sitting just one game for rest. He finished with averages of 19.1 points, 8.1 assists and 3.7 rebounds in 30.9 minutes. Young was fourth overall in assists in the league trailing only Russell Westbrook, Kyle Lowry and Chris Paul. Young shot .418 from the field, including .324 from 3-point range.

• Doncic appeared in 72 games. He finished with averages of 21.2 points, 7.8 rebounds and 6.0 assists in 32.2 minutes. He shot .427 from the field, including .327 from 3-point range.

Young and Doncic are the clear favorites for the award. Ayton averaged 16.3 points and 10.3 rebounds.

• The winner will announced during the NBA awards show on June 24 at 9 p.m. It will be aired on TNT.

The league announced finalists for its other awards.

Most Improved Player: Kings’ De’Aaron Fox, Nets’ DeAngelo Russell, Raptors’ Pascal Siakam.

Sixth Man: Clippers’ Montrezl Harrell, Pacers’ Domantas Sabonis, Clippers’ Lou Williams.

Coach of the Year: Bucks’ Mike Budenholzer, Nuggets’ Mike Malone, Clippers’ Do Rivers.

Defensive Player of the Year: Bucks’ Giannis Antetokounmpo, Thunder’s Paul George, Jazz’s Rudy Gobert.

MVP: Bucks’ Giannis Antetokounmpo, Thunder’s Paul George, Rockets’ James Harden.

On 4/14/2019 at 10:54 AM, tl;dr said:

Not really a specific game, but just seeing how Trae Young grew so much from November to the end of the year. His February where he put up 23.3/9.3/3.7 while shooting .410/.437/.840 was a lot of fun. 

Honestly everything in January on was just a lot of fun. 

I was surprised to hear Kenny, Chuck, and Shaq all agree Trae Young should at least be considered co-rookie of the year. They hardly ever agree and usually hate on Atlanta. 

tl;dr likes this