Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
therawest

Trae Young

398 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

On 2/10/2019 at 6:57 PM, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

According to deeper stats, Trae (in 5 games admittedly) is posting his best month of the year - and that was after his former best month of the year (January). He's posting career highs (month by month stats) in Points, 3FG%, Usage, Offensive Rating, Points/game, Rebounds/game, and Assists/game. This continues a trend that started in DEC of these stats increasing each month (except 3FG%, but it is the highest month all year). He's also averaging just 3 turnovers with 8.6 assists per game this month - career bests, too. His defensive metrics have cratered this month, but I'm hoping for a rebound here as it has gotten worse every month beginning with DEC.

Trae is growing more comfortable before our eyes, but he will have to eventually acquit himself better defensively to help stem offensive runs teams surely go on that can wipe away the offense he is so good at creating.

Did he keep up the early fire in FEB for the entire month? Let's compare month-by-month:

MPG    FG%     3FG%      FT%       TS%      PPG     RPG     APG    TO/G    A/TO   

OCT     31.5     42.9%    34.0%    75.7%    55.2%    19.1      2.9        6.6       3.0       2.19

NOV     28.2     35.5%   19.8%     86.0%    44.3%    14.0      3.1        8.1       4.2       1.93

DEC     29.6     43.1%    34.7%    73.3%    53.0 %   15.8      2.7        7.0       4.4       1.60

JAN      31.3     44.4%    33.7%    86.4%    57.7%    18.7      3.7       7.2        4.1       1.77

FEB      33.7     41.0%    43.7%    84.0%    56.5%     23.3     4.3       9.3        3.3       2.78

You bet he did, and it's not even close!

Of other importance, he notched:

Career best 6.8 attempts at FT line (previous high was 4.7 in JAN)

Career best 7.3 three point attempts (previous high 6.7 in OCT)

Career best Offensive Rating (previous high in JAN)

I don't think it can be overstated how much better he's getting as the season continues. 2019 hit and he took off and he never looked back.

Edited by ATL Fan in the DMV

9 hours ago, Tiny Attorney said:

For all the talk about the rookie wall and him wearing down and all, it's pretty awesome he's played every game and seems to be getting stronger as the season goes on.

He started off slow and I was of the mind we were going to watch Luka be a star for years to come while Young would be out of the NBA. Now dudes a bonified star already. When the Hawks start winning JC and Young will be very well known by everyone

therawest likes this

16 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

He started off slow and I was of the mind we were going to watch Luka be a star for years to come while Young would be out of the NBA. Now dudes a bonified star already. When the Hawks start winning JC and Young will be very well known by everyone

I wasn't surprised he started off slowly considering he wasn't playing any kind of competitive bball after March Madness ended. He spent his time preparing for the draft, he had to get in bball shape. Meanwhile, Luka was still playing actual games.

7 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

How many does he have now? Side note, Remember when Sheldon Williams got rookie of the month in February, I thought that dude may have turned it around at that point

He had a phenomenal FEB, so it's not a surprise at all. I don't think the ROY race is as wrapped up as some people think (although I do believe Luka is still firmly in an ever-decreasing lead).

26 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

How many does he have now? Side note, Remember when Sheldon Williams got rookie of the month in February, I thought that dude may have turned it around at that point

Kevin Knox won one (Dec I think, Trae should have gotten it). Trae owns the rest.

Shellhead :angry:.  I'm a Duke fan but hated that pick for the Hawks.

6 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

Kevin Knox won one (Dec I think, Trae should have gotten it). Trae owns the rest.

Shellhead :angry:.  I'm a Duke fan but hated that pick for the Hawks.

Sad part is we didn't even need to show up for the draft, everyone knew that's who we were drafting. How many bigs and wingman did we draft in a row. Holy **** batman

jayu70 likes this

2 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Young is the first rookie with 120 points in a three-game span since Allen Iverson in April 1997.

I also saw he's the first rookie ever to score 45+ points with 15+ assists in a game.

Trae also moved past LeBron James with 4 games scoring at least 30 points with 10 or more assists as a rookie. He'll probably break the rookie record (and a couple of others we don't know about yet) before the season is over.

Basically (not that we need reminding), Trae is legit and easily looks like one of the two best players of that star-studded draft, the other being Doncic. Granted, one season a career doesn't make, but Trae is too smart and gifted a player not to keep trending upward, barring any unfortunate setbacks.

jayu70, therawest, Drew4719 and 1 other like this

12 minutes ago, JerseyNo11 said:

I also saw he's the first rookie ever to score 45+ points with 15+ assists in a game.

Trae also moved past LeBron James with 4 games scoring at least 30 points with 10 or more assists as a rookie. He'll probably break the rookie record (and a couple of others we don't know about yet) before the season is over.

Basically (not that we need reminding), Trae is legit and easily looks like one of the two best players of that star-studded draft, the other being Doncic. Granted, one season a career doesn't make, but Trae is too smart and gifted a player not to keep trending upward, barring any unfortunate setbacks.

Sky is the limit for this kid for sure!  

Posted (edited)

Mar 1, 2019 at 10:56 am ET • 6 min read 

Rookie of the Year favorite Luka Doncic has received some stiff competition as of late, particularly from Hawks guard Trae Young, who has become must-watch entertainment for a suddenly very promising Atlanta squad. Young was so great this week that he took the top spot in the rankings, so often occupied by Doncic. Much more on his rapid ascent below.

#1 Trae Young: The Trae Young Show has officially arrived in the NBA. Every wildest hope and lofty ceiling regarding Young came to fruition in four games over the past week, as the 20-year-old set career highs with 36 points and eight 3-pointers in a loss to the Rockets, then followed it up with 36 again in the very next game -- a comeback win over the Timberwolves. Young has been brilliant, but the key is that instead of his increased scoring hindering his playmaking and passing ability, it's actually bolstered it. Teams have occasionally been throwing soft traps at Young (not uncommon for point guards of his size), and since he's been so good at throwing lobs to rolling bigs, teams have cut off the lane as well. So what has Young done? He's been patient, flinging cross-court lefty passes on time and on target to waiting open.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-rookie-power-rankings-trae-young-takes-top-spot-from-luka-doncic-after-entertainingly-productive-week

Edited by jayu70

Trae really just had a bad November that had a lot of people cool on him. Now that he has more experience, he is getting better as the season goes on. That's what you want to see from a young guy. 

cwell1 likes this

19 hours ago, jayu70 said:

Mar 1, 2019 at 10:56 am ET • 6 min read 

Rookie of the Year favorite Luka Doncic has received some stiff competition as of late, particularly from Hawks guard Trae Young, who has become must-watch entertainment for a suddenly very promising Atlanta squad. Young was so great this week that he took the top spot in the rankings, so often occupied by Doncic. Much more on his rapid ascent below.

#1 Trae Young: The Trae Young Show has officially arrived in the NBA. Every wildest hope and lofty ceiling regarding Young came to fruition in four games over the past week, as the 20-year-old set career highs with 36 points and eight 3-pointers in a loss to the Rockets, then followed it up with 36 again in the very next game -- a comeback win over the Timberwolves. Young has been brilliant, but the key is that instead of his increased scoring hindering his playmaking and passing ability, it's actually bolstered it. Teams have occasionally been throwing soft traps at Young (not uncommon for point guards of his size), and since he's been so good at throwing lobs to rolling bigs, teams have cut off the lane as well. So what has Young done? He's been patient, flinging cross-court lefty passes on time and on target to waiting open.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-rookie-power-rankings-trae-young-takes-top-spot-from-luka-doncic-after-entertainingly-productive-week

I think Doncic had too much hype and actually came out the gates and fulfilled the hype for Trae Young to overcome for rookie of the year, unless he can somehow continues to light it up like a HOFer. Either way Both will be the starting PGs in the all star game in a few years IMO. But Trae is more explosive and can put up gaudy numbers in games that I don't see Doncic matching, and we got the draft pick. I am amazed that with Doncic and all the bigs in the draft that we ended up with Young and a draft pick, I feel like the Nique curse went away on that draft day

jayu70 likes this