Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
therawest

Trae Young

398 posts in this topic

He needed his own topic thread. 

I like this guy. He is a media magnet and has superstar potential. 

My initial excitement was tampered because we traded Luka away, but time will tell who got the better of that deal. They will be forever linked and we will get to take advantage of all the media and fans Luka would bring, because every time they talk about him, they will mention Trae. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6or76r

Edited by therawest
Add video
bweb blapho likes this

He is going to have to be very crafty. He is not very explosive, and longer more athletic defenders give him trouble. He's an excellent passer however.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:19 AM, UGABOZ said:

he needs to get off to a good start, if not I can see him really struggle in year 1 

That's okay if he struggles in year 1. I worry more about how he'll develop once he does struggle. He is not yet built to withstand a full season of NBA basketball. He needs to pack on more weight and also improve his shot selection. Passing-wise and vision-wise, I think he will adjust very well to the pros, but he needs to work on the aforementioned weaknesses if he wants to stay relevant in this league.

I think he's got a pretty high ceiling (above average starter who will unfortunately always have to be "hidden" on defense like Curry on the Warriors), but his floor is pretty low.

On 7/29/2018 at 9:07 PM, LIBID said:

That's okay if he struggles in year 1. I worry more about how he'll develop once he does struggle. He is not yet built to withstand a full season of NBA basketball. He needs to pack on more weight and also improve his shot selection. Passing-wise and vision-wise, I think he will adjust very well to the pros, but he needs to work on the aforementioned weaknesses if he wants to stay relevant in this league.

I think he's got a pretty high ceiling (above average starter who will unfortunately always have to be "hidden" on defense like Curry on the Warriors), but his floor is pretty low.

yea but a kid like that may never recover fully, hopefully he does lose total confidence in year one especially on the defensive end

On 7/29/2018 at 10:07 PM, LIBID said:

I agree but you can already feel the hype train. They were covering his summer league games like prime time. Doris Burke was there. I just think think if he pans out, he will be the biggest superstar we have had in a while. 

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:49 PM, therawest said:

I agree but you can already feel the hype train. They were covering his summer league games like prime time. Doris Burke was there. I just think think if he pans out, he will be the biggest superstar we have had in a while. 

Wasn't Doris Burke there for most of the games this season? I thought they only had a few broadcasters covering the summer league for some reason.

Not really. She specifically came to interview him after the game. They also had the hawks in the prime slot each night with a start time around 7:30 pm. They were experimenting with new commentators mixed in with vets like Steve Smith and Isaiah Thomas. 

32 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

It's  Traevolution!!

Not digging the name..reminds me to much of the Matturation..but dudes looking like he could be a boss..Add that with the Mavs pick next year and we coulda had a franchise changing draft

Edited by TRUju2111

Let me be the first to start the comparisons. 

Trae Preseason:

15 ppg 5 ast 2 rb 1.5 stl 24 mpg

Luka Preseason:

15 ppg 3.5 ast 5 rb 1 stl 30 mpg

Let’s talk about it. 

After watching TY in every game so far (including Summer League), I like him more and more after each game.  His game last night was setting up to be his bust out game after his first quarter performance.

I've been watching the NBA since the '70's.  I know a star when I see one.  Trae Young will be a Superstar.  There is no doubt in my mind.  Trae Young and John Collins will ultimately accomplish what Stockton and Malone never did.

This Hawks team may lose more than they win this year (which is good for getting another high draft pick next year), but it is the most exciting team the Hawks have had since the 60 win season.

On 10/14/2018 at 8:20 PM, therawest said:

Let me be the first to start the comparisons. 

Trae Preseason:

15 ppg 5 ast 2 rb 1.5 stl 24 mpg

Luka Preseason:

15 ppg 3.5 ast 5 rb 1 stl 30 mpg

Nah! I think Trae Young will blowout Luka in every category...even rebounding.  Luka will be good.  But, I think Trae will be a Superstar.  Over the next few years, Atlanta and the nation will go crazy over Trae Young and John Collins.

21 hours ago, bweb blapho said:

Nah! I think Trae Young will blowout Luka in every category...even rebounding.  Luka will be good.  But, I think Trae will be a Superstar.  Over the next few years, Atlanta and the nation will go crazy over Trae Young and John Collins.

Don't forget Taurean Prince. He's looking like an All-Star. 

putnam6 likes this

3 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Don't forget Taurean Prince. He's looking like an All-Star. 

I'm not yet sold on Prince.  I think, right now, especially with Collins out, Prince is the only one-on-one go to.  So, he's going to get numbers by default.   When Collins returns, I think the Hawks will be Showtime with Young to Collins.  Prince will fill in the rest.  But, Prince has to show consistency and kill the "go-to guy" role -- like how TY shot that 3-pt'r at the buzzer.

At worst, Prince can be a good role player.  But, Collins and Young will be superstars.  I've seen the future and it is bright for the Hawks!  And, this is something I have never been able to say, even during the Nique years.  Well, once, when Reggie Theus joined Moses and Nique.  But, everybody was wrong on that one.

1 hour ago, bweb blapho said:

I'm not yet sold on Prince.  I think, right now, especially with Collins out, Prince is the only one-on-one go to.  So, he's going to get numbers by default.   When Collins returns, I think the Hawks will be Showtime with Young to Collins.  Prince will fill in the rest.  But, Prince has to show consistency and kill the "go-to guy" role -- like how TY shot that 3-pt'r at the buzzer.

At worst, Prince can be a good role player.  But, Collins and Young will be superstars.  I've seen the future and it is bright for the Hawks!  And, this is something I have never been able to say, even during the Nique years.  Well, once, when Reggie Theus joined Moses and Nique.  But, everybody was wrong on that one.

agree he is a role player but on a bad team looking good

4 hours ago, bweb blapho said:

You're acting like Prince is just a volume scorer. His shooting percentages are actually pretty good.

jayu70 likes this

4 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

You're acting like Prince is just a volume scorer. His shooting percentages are actually pretty good.

His overall FG percentages are respectable.  I'm just saying that in order to be the go-to guy, you not only have to score consistently, but you need to be able to hit in crunch time, which Prince has not done.  He merely fills the scoring void at this time.  I mean, who else scores on this team, Baze? LOL!  VC? - not young anymore. 

A go-to guy takes over a game.  Prince may be able to do that on occasion (as well as anyone else), but not consistently.  I would love to be wrong.  Let's see going forward.

Already Trae's second 20 point game. He's a smart kid though--I didn't think it would take him very long to adjust to the pro level.

Trae just keeps impressing.  He WILL be ROY.  He has amazing handles, amazing range, amazing court vision, great passing strength, great agility.  He's got it all, folks!  He WILL be the next NBA superstar.

Forget Prince.  Trae should be the go-to guy.

Edited by bweb blapho
therawest likes this