Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fuego

ESPN - NFL Future Power Rankings: Projecting the next three seasons

19 posts in this topic

Insider article so the link may not work.

To project which NFL franchises are in the best shape for the next three seasons, we asked our panel of experts -- Louis Riddick, Mike Sando and Field Yates -- to rate each team's roster (excluding quarterback), quarterback, draft, front office and coaching using this scale:

• 100: A+ (Elite)

• 90: A (Great)

• 80: B (Very good)

• 70: C (Average)

• 60: D (Very bad)

• 50: F (Disastrous)

• 40: F- (The worst thing imaginable)

After averaging the results from the panelists, each of the five categories was weighted to create the overall score -- roster (30 percent), quarterback (20 percent), draft (15 percent), front office (15 percent) and coaching (20 percent). The result is a comprehensive ranking based on how well each team is positioned for the future.

Read through the full file No. 1 through No. 32, or jump to your favorite team using the quick links below:

1. Eagles 88.7%

2. Patriots 86.7%

3. Saints 85.3%

4. Vikings 84.7%

5. Steelers 83.8%

greyline.png

atl.png

Why they're here: While the NFL is an ever-evolving league, the Falcons have what many would consider a very modern collection of talent on their roster: linebackers with exceptional speed, depth along the defensive front, a two-headed backfield, a versatile corps of receivers, depth in the secondary and, of course, a blue-chip quarterback. GM Thomas Dimitroff and his experienced front office have landed coups in recent drafts (Deion JonesGrady JarrettVic BeasleyTakk McKinley and Keanu Neal among them) to balance a roster full of veterans in their prime. -- Yates

Biggest worry: I still have concerns about the offensive side of the ball in terms of the Falcons' ability to consistently find that championship chemistry and rhythm that needs to exist between the playcaller and the quarterback and offense as a whole. Now that Matt Ryan has his money, Julio Jones wants his too, and keeping the wideout happy and dialed-in has to be a concern for the organization, especially if it does not intend to rework his contract that still has three years remaining on it. -- Riddick

What could change for the better: Continued development of the coaching staff is one variable that could determine whether a well-constructed Falcons team reaches its potential. Coach Dan Quinn has gone all-in with coordinators Steve Sarkisian and Marquand Manuel. Staff development is obviously important to him. Will Atlanta realize the payoff? -- Sando

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/24049559/nfl-future-power-rankings-projecting-next-three-seasons-ranking-teams-1-32#atl

RING OF HONOR likes this

2 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Wonder if they factored in Breezy's longevity? I can't believe he'll play past 2019.

Yeah, the Saints at #3 mystified me. I think that because we have had some QBs play older lately, analysts have forgotten that one hard hit could send them into retirement. I certainly don't wish that on Brees, who seems first class in every way. I'm just saying that a team with a 39-year-old QB shouldn't be top three in future rankings. These are nonsense clickbait discussion topic articles anyway, but that's just "Hey, their rookies were good last year!" 

6 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Wonder if they factored in Breezy's longevity? I can't believe he'll play past 2019.

1 minute ago, jidady said:

I'm just saying that a team with a 39-year-old QB shouldn't be top three in future rankings. 

Agreed. 

sdogg likes this

7 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

I'm thinking the same. Saints' window appears to be much smaller than ours considering the QB position.  Considering this next season when Ingram sits the first few games and teams starting keying in on their other RB's, they could be set up to take another tumble this forthcoming season. If that happens and they don't make the playoffs, then there's likely to become enough turmoil for Breezy to hang it up as well as see Payton leave for different waters.

Pats and Saints both have QBs in their 40's (Brees will be 40 by playoff time) so I can't see both teams being top 3 or 5 throughout the next 3 years. I also don't see Belichick coaching 3 more years.

The Steelers just reportedly lowballed Bell on a contract proposal, so he will probably be gone soon. Brown is now 30 years old and Roethlisberger is becoming Farve lite in his annual retirement talk.

Kung-Pow likes this

I'm actually shocked that an ESPN power rankings doesn't have the Packers in the top 5.

Maybe they are finally coming to terms that Rodgers is just one guy on a bad team with an overrated HC?

papachaz and Vandy like this

If Sark can dial up plays like the eagles did last year but retool the offense and keep it fresh year after year we should be in the top 3..if he comes out and still trying to figure out Kyle's offense from 2 years ago.. We're in trouble 

roguebeaver likes this

Posted (edited)

I don't care what ESPN says, the Falcons will be good again in 2020. We play the AFC West again (just like 2004, 2008, 2012, and 2016). By then Matt Ryan will be in the peak of his contract with most QB's ahead of him in the salary who will get new deals come 2019 and 2020. Plus we would have gone through our rough odd 2019 season after all the players we're losing to free agency after 2018. We'll have a veteran defense and a veteran age 35 Matt Ryan come 2020. That could very well be our year. The best seasons in Atlanta/Georgia sports have ended with 0 or 5 like 1980 Georgia, 1990 Georgia Tech, or the 1995 Braves. If the 2016 Falcons were like the 1991 Braves like John Smoltz said, then the 2020 Falcons will be like the 1995 Braves. It'll be the Falcons vs the Browns in the Super Bowl and there will be so much pressure on the Falcons franchise to get it done and not become the bottom dweller of the NFL after all of our history. 

Edited by mqg96

IMO Falcons should be swapped with Vikings. They're projecting so much for Cousins to help the offense improve but how much over Keenum? Their D is good. In fact, majority of teams ahead of Falcons in this list have better defensive projection than offense or as good as their offense.

If scoring O returns for Falcons and their D improves/keeps drafting how are we not too 5 at minimum? 

As others have said: Projecting Brady and Brees 3 years out is sorta weird.

Its almost like a random window with intent to saw "who could win a SB in the next 'x' amount of years" and ignoring factors like that.

3 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

It's really because of Marcus Davenport. 

4 hours ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

The Steelers just reportedly lowballed Bell on a contract proposal, so he will probably be gone soon. 

5 years 70 million is not a lowball for a running back. Now some details such as guaranteed money, etc, hey may not have liked, but the overall contract itself is far from a lowball. 

5 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

Do you really believe Brees won’t play past 2019? I just don’t see much decline in his game if any at all. Now with that said I wish he’d retire tomorrow. I can see him playing another 3-4 yrs with no problem.

1 hour ago, fuego said:

5 years 70 million is not a lowball for a running back. Now some details such as guaranteed money, etc, hey may not have liked, but the overall contract itself is far from a lowball. 

10 mil in guarantees is lowballing. Especially for a player that is known as the best RB in football.

Bell could get injured and only see 10 mil of that 70 mil. No RB would take that contract, especially with the nature of the position. Bell has no good reason to take that deal. There is no substantial security in that. It's basically a series of one year deals. Bell could get cut easily after year 1 of that contract and get nothing.

NFL players and the NFLPA would be highly pissed if he took that deal knowing that they will be fighting for fully guaraunteed contracts in the next CBA negotiations in the next few years.

51 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

Do you really believe Brees won’t play past 2019? I just don’t see much decline in his game if any at all. Now with that said I wish he’d retire tomorrow. I can see him playing another 3-4 yrs with no problem.

I think he and/or Brady are going to fall over a very steep cliff very soon. Both are playing well but they also have a remarkable record of avoiding injury. The law of averages tends to catch up to you when you play a very physical game at an advanced age. Besides that, his deal runs through 2019 and I have a hard time seeing the Stains extending him past that.

Future power rankings? 

They're really scraping the bottom of the barrel to find stuff to talk about. 

Vandy likes this