⚡Slumerican⚡

Julio Jones could consider early retirement

78 posts in this topic

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/7/16/17575936/possible-atlanta-falcons-julio-jones-considering-retirement-possible-calvin-johnson-holdout-contract

Jeff Schultz thinks Julio Jones could consider early retirement, à la Calvin Johnson

Is Julio Jones on his way out sooner than expected?

By Cory Woodroof@CoryWoodroof47  Jul 16, 2018, 11:04am EDT

879633772.jpg.0.jpgPhoto by Scott Cunningham/Getty Images

Before leaving his post as one of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s longtime sports columnist and recent podcaster, reporter Jeff Schultz dropped some seismic speculation about one of the city’s biggest athletes.

Hint: it’s an Atlanta Falcons player we think about a lot.

On his final episode of his We Never Played the Game podcast with WSB’s Zach Klein (which will continue with Klein), Schultz spoke on the Julio Jones contract saga, and with that, dropped a big hint as to where Jones’ mind might be in wanting to get the deal done now.

“I don’t know how much longer Julio wants to play,” Schultz said. “I think Julio’s got a little Calvin Johnson in him from the standpoint of, ‘I don’t want to do this forever...I want to take care of myself.’”

Schultz also surmises that both Jones will be present for the first day of training camp and that the team will get some sort of renegotiation done before the season starts.

“The Falcons had planned to renegotiate the contract next year. After three years into a five-year contract, they had planned to renegotiate the contract. This is only two years into a five-year contract.”

He thinks the team could move some 2019 base money into this season to get the contract dispute settled, and imagines a situation where the team does just enough this season to sweeten the deal now, and continue the efforts into next season to lock in something more concrete for the future.

He says Arthur Blank is well-aware with how important this season is, and how important it is to settle what needs to be settled with Jones to ensure the best situation possible for the team in 2018.

Obviously, the whole “Julio potentially retiring early” thing is something we’ve not considered out loud, and gives you a lot of concern going forward. Legendary LionsWR Calvin Johnson retired at the age of 30, an age Jones reaches next year. Johnson and Jones have been compared to each other up and down ever since the latter came into his own, and there’s no doubt Calvin’s decision is a consideration for Julio.

Though, he’s also spent a lot of time with Terrell Owens, who played well into his 30s, and still hypothetically wants to play today; two different ways two gold jacket receivers went about heading into their veteran years.

Jones is an avid businessman, having developed ventures in Atlanta and in his home of Alabama, where he’s revered as a college legend for his time with the Alabama Crimson Tide. He’s a star in two states, and has ample opportunity to continue his career in the Southeast as a sports legend.

With Jones having reached a Super Bowland having essentially written most of his story for the Hall of Fame, it’s fair to wonder how much Julio has left, or wants, to accomplish as an active player.

This is not to say that Jones is confirmedas being close to retirement. Schultz gave no firm indication of this being his definitive plan; only speculation. But there’s now something on the books from a trusted voice in Atlanta media that says Jones might leave the game early. You’ve got to consider that going ahead as a distinct possibility.

But, again, this is all predicated on a viable hunch, not a hard report.

As far as we know, Jones is still going to be here for the next few seasons, maybe even more. Schultz’s insight does make you wonder, though, just how long the Jet wants to continue to fly as a Falcon, and if we’re going to be landing much sooner than expected.

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Calvin left the game because of his team situation. He got tired of playing for a perennial loser. Not the case with Julio. Now people are pulling things directly from their *** cracks

This could be a fun thread. 

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

Calvin left the game because of his team situation. He got tired of playing for a perennial loser. Not the case with Julio. Now people are pulling things directly from their *** cracks

That’s not the sole reason Calvin retired early. I remember how he talked about how he was always in some kind of pain everyday. It’s a big reason why he never came back.

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Not exactly, his ankles were in bad shape.  He's alluded to that.  Plus, the Lions had gone 18-14 his last two seasons.

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Yep.

He also said that his injuries became nagging and hard for him to get out of bed at times.

He would've probably continued knowing that he had a real shot for a championship. No way in heII would he continue to play for a loser in Detroit. Would not be surprise if Calvin asked for a trade to a contender(more than likely the Patriots) and the Lions refused and shot it down, which led to his retirement.

ya_boi_j likes this

I heard that Julio wants to return to his home planet. Of course our system and that one don't re-align for another 5 years, so I guess the questions how much more of Earth does he want to conquer before he leaves.

gkgrimes likes this

19 minutes ago, Jerz said:

That’s not the sole reason Calvin retired early. I remember how he talked about how he was always in some kind of pain everyday. It’s a big reason why he never came back.

17 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Not exactly, his ankles were in bad shape.  He's alluded to that.  Plus, the Lions had gone 18-14 his last two seasons.

I don't know which played a bigger role but I think it was a combination of both. In the end, the playing for bad team part is on him. He didn't have to sign that big *** contract to stay put. He ultimately got tired of the grind

Edit: btw, i'm just guessing at it. I don't know 100% outside of the pain

Jerz likes this

22 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Anything to get a few clicks...

1 minute ago, kschreck said:

Anything to get a few clicks...

it worked lol. now that you say that and I look at the link provided, I realize it isn't even worth a real discussion

papachaz and Flying Falcon like this

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I don't know which played a bigger role but it was a combination of both. In the end, the playing for bad team part is on him. He didn't have to sign that big *** contract to stay put. He ultimately got tired of the grind

Who in their right mind would want to continue destroying their body by constantly putting the Lions of all teams on their back? Even though the Lions weren’t really bottom feeders he like you said felt the grind was not worth it. I don’t blame him.

Edited by Jerz

Just now, Jerz said:

Who in they right mind would want to continue destroying their body by constantly putting the Lions of all teams on their back? Even though the Lions weren’t really bottom feeders he like you said felt the grind was not worth it. I don’t blame him.

he did what we always wanted to do when we were kids, he became a professional athlete and got rich. he made close to $70 million in his career, he had a legit reason to destroy his body lol.

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

he did what we always wanted to do when we were kids, he became a professional athlete and got rich. he made close to $70 million in his career, he had a legit reason to destroy his body lol.

He made his money and got out before or hopefully before permanent damage.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Julio is on the same track. Dude has a freakin bolt in his foot and plays through pain constantly. Who knows what kind of foot problems he goes through.

ya_boi_j likes this

Just now, Jerz said:

He made his money and got out before or hopefully before permanent damage.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Julio is on the same track. Dude has a freakin bolt in his foot and plays through pain constantly. Who knows what kind of foot problems he goes through.

which is why it is funny seeing people pout and cry about him not being on the field on some 3rd downs. we all know his injury history so why in the world are there complaints. him being on the field doesn't even guarantee a first down. but of course, fans will be fans

Flying Falcon likes this

36 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

34 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Jeff Schultz can take his thoughts and shove them........

Speculation with no real substance.

ok one of you is saying he's pulling stuff from his a$$ crack, the other says he should shove it back in there.....

can't we all just get along???  :ninja::ninja::ninja:

either way though, y'all do seem to indirectly agree that what he says is 'chit'  ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

Just now, papachaz said:

ok one of you is saying he's pulling stuff from his a$$ crack, the other says he should shove it back in there.....

either way though, y'all do seem to indirectly agree that what he says is 'chit'  ;)

:lol::lol:

2 minutes ago, papachaz said:

Lmao

papachaz and ya_boi_j like this