Tim Mazetti

Fourteen Days To Training Camp And 14 Battles To Watch

48 posts in this topic

Marvin Hall vs. Russell Gage vs. Reggie Davis and so on

It’s very possible that the Falcons will only have one roster spot behind Julio Jones, Ridley, Sanu and Justin Hardy. If that’s the case, it’s going to be a free-for-all between all the young, interesting players the Falcons have assembled at the receiver position. Hall showed some promise a year ago, Davis shone in preseason 2017 (despite a couple of errors), and Gage was drafted this year with early special teams value very much in mind. Gage is the favorite as a recent, talked-up draft selection, but Hall and Davis aren’t going to go quietly, and one of them should make the roster outright if the Falcons elect to keep six receivers.

this is the one that interest me the most

I know nothing about Gage but I do like both Hall and Davis

and I agree that Gage(a drafted player) may well have the inside track for WR#5

question is will they carry 6 as they have the last few years-----some say look for Coleman on the outside more this season  --if true do you keep 6 WRs or just 5 and add another RB?

plus remember that Quinn said Freeman in the slot would be as  good as Beasley if that was all he did

just too many options

4 hours ago, octoslash said:

Playcalling, situational awareness....you know, just imagine you have the ball 1st and ten from the opponent's 22 yard line, with say, an 8-pt lead and about 4 minutes left...and your coaches somehow screw it up. 

That's what I'm talking about.

I agree. But they’ve all done it. I’ve seen bellichik blow a huge game against the colts with a questionable decision. But that’s also what makes you great in the end. When it works you’re a genius. When it doesn’t work you’re an idiot. The issue is not learning from mistakes. THEN we’d have a problem. I like that Quinn trusts his prayers to even make those kind of decisions. But the SB was an easy call to make. Go up by 11 and win the game. 

Tim Mazetti, Vandy and octoslash like this

55 minutes ago, delaigle said:

Marvin Hall vs. Russell Gage vs. Reggie Davis and so on

It’s very possible that the Falcons will only have one roster spot behind Julio Jones, Ridley, Sanu and Justin Hardy. If that’s the case, it’s going to be a free-for-all between all the young, interesting players the Falcons have assembled at the receiver position. Hall showed some promise a year ago, Davis shone in preseason 2017 (despite a couple of errors), and Gage was drafted this year with early special teams value very much in mind. Gage is the favorite as a recent, talked-up draft selection, but Hall and Davis aren’t going to go quietly, and one of them should make the roster outright if the Falcons elect to keep six receivers.

this is the one that interest me the most

I know nothing about Gage but I do like both Hall and Davis

and I agree that Gage(a drafted player) may well have the inside track for WR#5

question is will they carry 6 as they have the last few years-----some say look for Coleman on the outside more this season  --if true do you keep 6 WRs or just 5 and add another RB?

plus remember that Quinn said Freeman in the slot would be as  good as Beasley if that was all he did

just too many options

Keep 6. Coleman won’t always be in the game nor will he always flex out wide. Keep defenses guessing with us. 

2 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

I agree. But they’ve all done it. I’ve seen bellichik blow a huge game against the colts with a questionable decision. But that’s also what makes you great in the end. When it works you’re a genius. When it doesn’t work you’re an idiot. The issue is not learning from mistakes. THEN we’d have a problem. I like that Quinn trusts his prayers to even make those kind of decisions. But the SB was an easy call to make. Go up by 11 and win the game. 

I agree with all of this. The problem I have with Quinn is I really haven't seen him get any better in crunch-time situations. 

TheFatboi likes this

On 7/14/2018 at 0:38 PM, Tim Mazetti said:

Interesting, is it not, that those WRs may start or be valuable backups on a different team?

There depth Wrers for me unless one of them can surprise Hardy who I think Ryan trusts so for me right now your talking #5 WRer.

We no longer need another deep threat having Jones and Ridley so I'm struggling to see where Hall and Davis fit.

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

There depth Wrers for me unless one of them can surprise Hardy who I think Ryan trusts so for me right now your talking #5 WRer.

We no longer need another deep threat having Jones and Ridley so I'm struggling to see where Hall and Davis fit.

Always want deep threats. You may want to use Julio and Ridley as clear Outs and send Hall or Davis down the seam. Wide open. Speed kills so you always want speed if you got it. If we’re in a 4 wide with Julio, Ridley, Sanu, and Hall/Davis and Coleman as the RB. Send Julio on a cross and Ridley on a corner, sanu on corner on the opposite side and hall/davis deep down the seam and Coleman running a flare. That’s a bomb to the seam all day long because one safety is gonnna double one of the deep corners and the other safety is gonna have to make a decision on hall/Davis or the other corner route. 

blkbigdog35 and falconidae like this

9 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Always want deep threats. You may want to use Julio and Ridley as clear Outs and send Hall or Davis down the seam. Wide open. Speed kills so you always want speed if you got it. If we’re in a 4 wide with Julio, Ridley, Sanu, and Hall/Davis and Coleman as the RB. Send Julio on a cross and Ridley on a corner, sanu on corner on the opposite side and hall/davis deep down the seam and Coleman running a flare. That’s a bomb to the seam all day long because one safety is gonnna double one of the deep corners and the other safety is gonna have to make a decision on hall/Davis or the other corner route. 

Absolutely. Gabe got all the press, but Aldrick Robinson’s 2016 role with team was a big missing piece last year. 

5 hours ago, Vandy said:

Absolutely. Gabe got all the press, but Aldrick Robinson’s 2016 role with team was a big missing piece last year. 

Absofreakinlutely. We’d have 3 guys that could take the top off at any given moment with Julio, Gabe, and Robinson on the field at the same time. Safeties has to make a decision QUICKLY. Increases the chance of choosing wrong when your slot guy runs a 4.3 along with your 4th wr and Julio. Then a 4.3 rb to go with a 4.5 wr. Hard to defend. 

Vandy likes this

On 7/14/2018 at 1:52 PM, TheFatboi said:

Keep 6. Coleman won’t always be in the game nor will he always flex out wide. Keep defenses guessing with us. 

6th WR will probably have to return kicks as well. Love to see Davis claim that spot.

Tim Mazetti and TheFatboi like this

On 7/14/2018 at 3:12 AM, NeonDeion said:

Schaub needs to be cut now

wow we’re gonna cut some good players

people don’t like Hardy but his spot is safe? Really should keep Hall, Davis, and Gage - hard to make a cut there. 

Sanu and Ridley will co-exist just fine

I really hope Senat grabs the job and never lets go. Same with Oliver. 

Deepest secondary in the league by a mile. Good luck throwing.

Getting Saukraut going would be amazing.

FB is going to be better Bc it can’t get worse

OL has a ton of depth now with starter quality backups  

At first, I agreed with everything you said except for cutting Schaub. After thinking about it, cutting Schaub may have to happen for cap purposes. I have no idea what Schaub's cap hit would be, but the FO needs all the space they can get. I would hate for the Falcons to have to go with a rookie as the 2nd QB. I would hope if they do cut Schaub, that they'd bring in someone that has some experience.

12 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

At first, I agreed with everything you said except for cutting Schaub. After thinking about it, cutting Schaub may have to happen for cap purposes. I have no idea what Schaub's cap hit would be, but the FO needs all the space they can get. I would hate for the Falcons to have to go with a rookie as the 2nd QB. I would hope if they do cut Schaub, that they'd bring in someone that has some experience.

Ita depends if they can stash BENKIRK (Benkurt?) on the PS. Frankly, no one wants a rookie as a backup, unless he shows some freakish ability in camp and the preseason. 

It would be a gamble to cut Schaub, but Ryan has been an iron man. And with Knapp counseling Sark on what to call for the rookie, if he ever gets in, it could work.

I like your thinking.

2 hours ago, 4dabirds said:

16 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

It would be a gamble to cut Schaub, but Ryan has been an iron man. And with Knapp counseling Sark on what to call for the rookie, if he ever gets in, it could work.

I like your thinking.

My concern is that Schaub hasn't played since 2015.. and hasn't played significant snaps since 2013.  That is LONG time for a guy who is now 37 years old. 

I appreciate that he knows the system and has a lot of experience, but if Benkert is even just "solid" during camp and preseason I think we have to pull the trigger and free up his $4.5 million in salary.  

Tim Mazetti likes this

I don't see Sanu vs. Ridley as a real thing.  They will play different roles.  Sanu will be the no. 2 in terms of targets and catches, but he may get a lot of looks in the slot (so will Julio and Ridley, by the way).  But Ridley is going to see a lot of throws come his way too, and he may get most of his from the split end or flanker position and less from the slot.  If we define "no. 2" as "who lines up opposite Julio, Ridley may in fact be that.

But he isn't going to out produce Sanu.  And he doesn't have to.  He'll eventually surpass Sanu and probably be Julio's ultimate replacement.  But not this year.

3 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I don't see Sanu vs. Ridley as a real thing.  They will play different roles.  Sanu will be the no. 2 in terms of targets and catches, but he may get a lot of looks in the slot (so will Julio and Ridley, by the way).  But Ridley is going to see a lot of throws come his way too, and he may get most of his from the split end or flanker position and less from the slot.  If we define "no. 2" as "who lines up opposite Julio, Ridley may in fact be that.

But he isn't going to out produce Sanu.  And he doesn't have to.  He'll eventually surpass Sanu and probably be Julio's ultimate replacement.  But not this year.

Truth. Bottom line, we upgraded from losing Gabriel.

JDaveG likes this

4 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Facts. Ridley is Reggie Wayne who eventually replaced Marvin Harrison as the #1 guy. But what I’m more iniressed by is look at our number #1’s? Roddy to Julio. Julio to Ridley possibly? Pretty good over the last 12 years. 

4 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Who is that in your avatar?

I’m hyped as anyone regarding Ridley, but not exactly sure on how we are judging which guy is #2. If it’s by overall snapcount, I would be really surprised to see Ridley surpass Sanu. Sanu is the better blocker, so in 2 WR sets that are majority run, I would expect to see Sanu get the majority of those snaps. Also, goalline formation. In 3WR sets, I see Sanu in the slot with Ridley out wide. If we go purely by targets, I could see a possibility of Ridley competing for 2nd most targets. 

In my opinion, it’s based on snapcount, and I just can’t see Ridley being the primary in 2WR sets.

3 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Who is that in your avatar?

APOLLO 11,  DELIVERED BY SATURN V

Tall as a 30-story building, 7.6 million pounds of thrust at launch,  more power generated than 85 Hoover Dams.  

:tiphat: