•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The Brooklyn Nets have traded guard Jeremy Lin and a future second-round pick to the Atlanta Hawks in exchange for a future second-round pick, league sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Lin, 29, played just one game last season after rupturing the patellar tendon in his right knee in the season opener Oct. 18 against the Indiana Pacers. A hamstring injury limited him to 36 games during the 2016-17 season.

Lin told the Nets website earlier this week that he has yet to participate in full-contact drills as he rehabs the injury. He has said he expects to be ready for training camp.

An eight-year veteran, Lin has career averages of 12.0 points, 4.5 assists and 2.9 rebounds.

1 2nd in..... 7 years.... And the right to swap seconds in..... 5 years. Idk why were stockpiling 2nds for the middle of the next decade. 

Meanwhile the Nuggets ship off a first and a second to the Nets for taking faried/Arthur. 

One of these trades seems infinitely better for the team takin the salaries.... 

jayu70, Summerhill, g-dawg and 1 other like this

I do worry a little about Schlenks savvy as a trader. 

Took a bath on the Dwight trade. 

Signed Belli/Ilyasova to trade them, then couldn't, then cut them for nothing. 

This Lin trade when Denver was handing out current 1sts 

Each passing day learning new draft night deals that essentially were Schlenk trying to sell off the number 3 pick to dump Baze or Schroeder. Seems to have lucked out that the mavs offered a first. 

Just something to keep an eye on 

Drew4719 likes this

20 minutes ago, WOR said:

1 2nd in..... 7 years.... And the right to swap seconds in..... 5 years. Idk why were stockpiling 2nds for the middle of the next decade. 

Meanwhile the Nuggets ship off a first and a second to the Nets for taking faried/Arthur. 

One of these trades seems infinitely better for the team takin the salaries.... 

Agreed.  Only thing I hope is that there is some kind of deal lined up for DS for a 1st because we could have taken on that salary dump by Denver and got that top-12 protected first they gave away.

Couple of things 

33 minutes ago, EddieK said:

Agreed.  Only thing I hope is that there is some kind of deal lined up for DS for a 1st because we could have taken on that salary dump by Denver and got that top-12 protected first they gave away.

Our leverage just dropped even further below zero lol. 

We now have a top 5 pick, and 2 guys costing 30 mil at the PG spot 

Couple of things from the locked on hawk podcast this morning. 

Nets had to make this deal to do the deal with the Nuggets for a first.....so we CHOSE this one over that one. Why I have no idea atm lol. 

2025 is the furthest away you can trade picks. So I guess someone picked that year. In theory we should be getting HS players back by then, but lord I hope our rebuild doesn't take that long lol. 

Lin had a 10% trade kicker so his salary is now 13.8

Our leverage to trade Dennis is now even worse. 

I get this move if we wanted Lin. David Aldridge is reporting that they want to keep him. But boy I don't understand wanting Lin lol. He's going to be a FA, so you only bought him for 1 year... At 14 million. I feel like you could get a better mentor for that much lol. Or bid on a young RFA who would be a better pick than a 2nd rounder 7 years from now :shrug:

I just have a hard time squaring all the "were selling off our cap space for picks" strategy... If this is what you get in return. 

Drew4719, blkbigdog35 and jayu70 like this

45 minutes ago, WOR said:

Couple of things from the locked on hawk podcast this morning. 

Nets had to make this deal to do the deal with the Nuggets for a first.....so we CHOSE this one over that one. Why I have no idea atm lol. 

2025 is the furthest away you can trade picks. So I guess someone picked that year. In theory we should be getting HS players back by then, but lord I hope our rebuild doesn't take that long lol. 

Lin had a 10% trade kicker so his salary is now 13.8

Our leverage to trade Dennis is now even worse. 

I get this move if we wanted Lin. David Aldridge is reporting that they want to keep him. But boy I don't understand wanting Lin lol. He's going to be a FA, so you only bought him for 1 year... At 14 million. I feel like you could get a better mentor for that much lol. Or bid on a young RFA who would be a better pick than a 2nd rounder 7 years from now :shrug:

I just have a hard time squaring all the "were selling off our cap space for picks" strategy... If this is what you get in return. 

Thanks for the update WOR and it truly doesn't make much sense.  Considering his injury status the past two seasons this is a big gamble for 13 mil.  Three PGs now so this should be interesting.

14 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Thanks for the update WOR and it truly doesn't make much sense.  Considering his injury status the past two seasons this is a big gamble for 13 mil.  Three PGs now so this should be interesting.

If the pick swap is for 1sts in 2020, then it makes more sense. 

Right now I'm not really sure that this wasn't just a trade to get Lin. Not so much a salary dump for picks. 

We gave up a former 2nd round pick(Cormier) and another 2nd(granted top 55 protected, so we'd probs keep it) to get the pick swap and a 2nd 7 years from now. 

I get that Cormier and the trailblazers 2nd are pretty much garbage trade filler.... But so are 2 random 2nd rounders years from now. 

I reallllyyyy hope that's not the case. Like the podcast mentioned, you essentially had to choose this deal OVER getting a 19 first from Denver. People are saying you could flip Lin, but after seeing how we just bought out guys last year, I can't see how Lin would be different. Especially when he makes double what belli and ilysova made. 

1 hour ago, WOR said:

Couple of things 

Our leverage just dropped even further below zero lol. 

We now have a top 5 pick, and 2 guys costing 30 mil at the PG spot 

If this is the end result for Schlenk on this trade, it's terrible, no other way to put it.  First, I'd rather have DS as the backup PG if they're not both starting, rather than Lin, who isn't even working out after that serious knee injury.  He might not even play this year.  

This move does give us at least 26ish million in expiring contracts(Dedmon, Lin, Moose). 

Which, we all know expiring contracts are very valuable. 

My trust is just starting to dwindle on that front lol. We could have had 20 mill in cap space THIS year to essentially do what we could do NEXT year with the expiring contracts. And so far we've got Lin to show for it lol. And we had the same thing LAST year and we did nothing with it. So.... Idk man. I see the plan, I just have a hard time seeing that we're actually Executing that plan the best way. But I'm not in the FO soooo lol. Outside looking in just looks.... Strange. 

1 minute ago, EddieK said:

If this is the end result for Schlenk on this trade, it's terrible, no other way to put it.  First, I'd rather have DS as the backup PG if they're not both starting, rather than Lin, who isn't even working out after that serious knee injury.  He might not even play this year.  

I think we all need to wait(but this is the internet so no thanks lol), cause there certainly could be more. I just.... Don't see it. 

And that's not even really MY opinion. That's just going off what Schlenk keeps saying over and over and over. We're gonna sell our cap space for assets. But we took a deal that was pennies compared to what else was out there. :shrug:

I guess we all have to trust that there's a reason that Schlenk keeps trying to stockpile 2nd rounders..... 7 years from now. 

7 minutes ago, WOR said:

I think we all need to wait(but this is the internet so no thanks lol), cause there certainly could be more. I just.... Don't see it. 

And that's not even really MY opinion. That's just going off what Schlenk keeps saying over and over and over. We're gonna sell our cap space for assets. But we took a deal that was pennies compared to what else was out there. :shrug:

I guess we all have to trust that there's a reason that Schlenk keeps trying to stockpile 2nd rounders..... 7 years from now. 

Off-topic, hypothetical question for you.  Would you offer Klay Thompson a max deal next summer?  I'm sure GS will work it out where they keep him and he'd want to stay there, but they'd have a hard time giving him a max without serious luxury tax issues.  Max would be 4yrs/127mill. going to a new team.  

Another piece that has me scratching my head.... 

At the trade deadline last year Schlenk made it clear he didn't trade those guys because he didn't want to take back salary for a second round pick.... 

Fast forward a few months.... And we did exactly that. Which is another reason I feel like we did this deal to actually get Lin. Which I don't understand Lol.

jayu70, blkbigdog35 and Drew4719 like this

2 minutes ago, EddieK said:

Off-topic, hypothetical question for you.  Would you offer Klay Thompson a max deal next summer?  I'm sure GS will work it out where they keep him and he'd want to stay there, but they'd have a hard time giving him a max without serious luxury tax issues.  Max would be 4yrs/127mill. going to a new team.  

Anyone that says no to Klay needs to have their head examined lol. 

I won't lie, I love that warriors team, but for Klays sake I hope he does go somewhere else. On that team he's "held back" to being one of the best 3 and D players the league has ever seen. I want him to get his own team. I want to see him get the recognition for his absolutely elite defense and be allowed to be THE offensive focus. 

I Dont see why Klay can't be a Kawhi like Kog for another team. And I wanna see him do that as opposed to being 3rd fiddle. 

8 minutes ago, WOR said:

Fast forward a few months.... And we did exactly that. Which is another reason I feel like we did this deal to actually get Lin. Which I don't understand Lol.

I'd get it more if Lin wasn't hurt, but dude might not ever even play for us.

7 minutes ago, WOR said:

Anyone that says no to Klay needs to have their head examined lol. 

I won't lie, I love that warriors team, but for Klays sake I hope he does go somewhere else. On that team he's "held back" to being one of the best 3 and D players the league has ever seen. I want him to get his own team. I want to see him get the recognition for his absolutely elite defense and be allowed to be THE offensive focus. 

I Dont see why Klay can't be a Kawhi like Kog for another team. And I wanna see him do that as opposed to being 3rd fiddle. 

Yep, I'd sign Klay to a max with no hesitation.  He'd instantly challenge for best player in the East.  I remember watching a WSU game late one night and saw him go for like 40 and I was like who is this dude??  Guy's a beast.   

14 minutes ago, EddieK said:

I'd get it more if Lin wasn't hurt, but dude might not ever even play for us.

At least Lin has 2 years less money than Dennis. 

But it seems like now you're going to have to pay someone to take Dennis... 

I would have rather just paid someone to take Dennis in the first place, left Lin alone, and taken the Denver deal, which we helped facilitate. :shrug:

12 minutes ago, WOR said:

At least Lin has 2 years less money than Dennis. 

But it seems like now you're going to have to pay someone to take Dennis... 

I would have rather just paid someone to take Dennis in the first place, left Lin alone, and taken the Denver deal, which we helped facilitate. :shrug:

Hopefully, the big secret to this seemingly terrible deal is that the Denver 1st is coming to us.

11 minutes ago, EddieK said:

Hopefully, the big secret to this seemingly terrible deal is that the Denver 1st is coming to us.

In a normal world, I'd say there's zero percent chance of that happening because then the Nets would essentially be trading Lin for Faried and Arthur's contacts.... 

BUT. It's the Nets.... And they gave up the whole franchise for old as dirt Joe, KG, and pierce. So nothings impossible lol

Something smells. BKN got 1st AND a 2nd. Why didn't the Hawks do a deal with Denver?

I don't buy the 3rd PG B.S that Schlenk said he wanted., we could have bring Isaiah Taylor back, **** even sign IT for the vet min he took from Denver.  Doesn't seem like a good use of capspace now to get a 2nd round pick SEVEN YEARS from now.

The mentor thing for Trae?   That only works if Lin can GET and STAY on the floor.

Something smells - seems like another move to fill Philips arena with the LinSanity fans for what will be another season of loosing.

Having said that....I'll withhold overall judgement until the dust has settled and see what else is to come.....cause there has to be something else coming. This can't be it. If it is it's a head scratcher.

As of now Schtink Stinks!

6 minutes ago, WOR said:

In a normal world, I'd say there's zero percent chance of that happening because then the Nets would essentially be trading Lin for Faried and Arthur's contacts.... 

BUT. It's the Nets.... And they gave up the whole franchise for old as dirt Joe, KG, and pierce. So nothings impossible lol

Unfortunately Billy King doesn't work for Bets anymore. Sean Marks has done a helluva job considering they've had no 1st round picks for 3 years. He's made solid late picks and he's won EVERY trade he's made.

39 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

Something smells. BKN got 1st AND a 2nd. Why didn't the Hawks do a deal with Denver?

I don't buy the 3rd PG B.S that Schlenk said he wanted., we could have bring Isaiah Taylor back, **** even sign IT for the vet min he took from Denver.  Doesn't seem like a good use of capspace now to get a 2nd round pick SEVEN YEARS from now.

The mentor thing for Trae?   That only works if Lin can GET and STAY on the floor.

Something smells - seems like another move to fill Philips arena with the LinSanity fans for what will be another season of loosing.

Having said that....I'll withhold overall judgement until the dust has settled and see what else is to come.....cause there has to be something else coming. This can't be it. If it is it's a head scratcher.

As of now Schtink Stinks!

Completely agree. 

The one thing that concerns me is Schlenk has had a lot more head scratches than "good deals" as of right now. And Atlanta has always been bad in this area.....

This just feels "Pick 17 for Hardaway" levels of par for the course. 

Listening to local radio... They all seem pumped to have Lin... Ignoring that he has no set future here and is often injured. So... Add that to the "linsanity getting ticket sales" column. 

jayu70 likes this

Another radio fun fact. 

Rick Kamla has no idea how the stretch provision works. 

BRUH. YOU. WORK. AT. NBA TV. lol

jayu70 likes this

From a player personnel standpoint, it makes sense. Lin's playing style as a pass-first guard with a good 3-PT shot is more similar to Young and meshes better with what the Hawks try to do philosophically on offense. Plus if Schroder is gone then Lin (when healthy) is a solid veteran guard.

Edited by JerseyNo12

1 hour ago, WOR said:

Another radio fun fact. 

Rick Kamla has no idea how the stretch provision works. 

BRUH. YOU. WORK. AT. NBA TV. lol

Dude don’t listen to that idiot :lol: