slider

Most Underrated Alltime Falcons By Falcon Fans!

192 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, celtiksage said:

William Andrews? Dude wasn't under appreciated. He was the best Falcon on the team at the time. I thought this thread said underappreciated Falcons. That rules out Nobis, Van Note, Tuggle and all those that we all loved the most.

Some fans may not know. :)

celtiksage likes this

We had Falcons fans that still wanted to bench Brent Grimes for Chris Owens even when Grimes was clearly playing at a Pro Bowl level.  That'd be my choice.

I think over time most fans have forgotten what Terrance Mathis was for this franchise, and that is too bad.  He should have been in the ROH long ago.

Greg Brezina - LB - Played 12 seasons starting at LB for the Falcons.  He was an 11th round pick in 1968 (Yes, you read that right, eleventh round). Whenever Nobis went down to injury, he would move over to MLB. 

slider and Vandy like this

2 hours ago, Peyton said:

We had Falcons fans that still wanted to bench Brent Grimes for Chris Owens even when Grimes was clearly playing at a Pro Bowl level.  That'd be my choice.

I think over time most fans have forgotten what Terrance Mathis was for this franchise, and that is too bad.  He should have been in the ROH long ago.

I'll see what I can do about that...:ninja:

4 hours ago, Peyton said:

+1 good post. 

4 hours ago, falconfansince66 said:

Greg Brezina - LB - Played 12 seasons starting at LB for the Falcons.  He was an 11th round pick in 1968 (Yes, you read that right, eleventh round). Whenever Nobis went down to injury, he would move over to MLB. 

When I was in high school, one day a 'Mrs. Brezina' came in as a substitute teacher.  We were all throwing stuff and clowning around, like kids do with a substitute, until we heard her say,

"Yes, he plays for the Falcons, he's my husband".

After that it was the best-behaved class you ever saw.   We didn't want him to suddenly appear and rip our heads off for being rude to his wife!

On 7/12/2018 at 9:34 AM, 1989Fan said:

Underrated by the Falcons fans? Matt Ryan.

Others would be Todd McClure, Todd Weiner, Brady Smith.

Yes so true,a lot still want Vick back lol,

I'm gonna vote for Eric Weems. Yall boys already know I loved me some Weems. Had the attitude and the want to I prefer in an NFL player. Give me 22 Weemsies and I'll beat your as. Not totally embraced by TATF. Undrafted free agent from a small Florida HBCU. Smitty scouted him when he was a high school QB and gave him a shot when he inherited him in 2008. Thank you Smitty cause he's one of my favorite Falcon special teamers and gets a slot in my Top 20 all time Falcon favs.

Pro Bowl gunner. Very good returner. Not many returners can handle both punts and kicks. Weems could. Second all time Falcon in punt yards per return with 50+ returns (Rossum). Third all time Falcon kick returner in yards per return with 100+ returns (Vaughn, Norwood). Even with a couple years under Goody's kickoff rules. Caught everything thrown to him as a WR (90% catch rate). Our special teams suffered when Dimi let Weems walk in 2012 and again in 2017. Very underrated. He was explosive.

slider, VTCrunkler and Vandy like this

On 7/11/2018 at 7:09 PM, Ergo Proxy said:

Two amazing Falcons LBs and 3 OL probably nobodies to casual NFL fans. Van Note, Nobis, Tuggle, Kenn, and maybe even Whitfield?

Also: 

Bob Christianson

PPS: other ring of honor guys that get overlooked Humphrey and Williams Andrews.

Yeah, I was torn between Nobis and Humphrey. 

Since the later now has a Gold Jacket, I give the nod to Nobis.

Ergo Proxy likes this

6 hours ago, Doctor Kildare said:

Pretty good career in the years between Dave hampton and William Andrews.

081815.sp_.Stanback.jpg

Dave Hampton,a name I haven't heard in years. I was watching the game in 72 when he was the first back in Falcons history to break 1000 yds rushing in a season and then lost six yards on the very next play and finished the season with 994. Falcons luck....SMDH  Rise Up

Doctor Kildare and Vandy like this

7 minutes ago, Lowndesfalc said:

Dave Hampton,a name I haven't heard in years. I was watching the game in 72 when he was the first back in Falcons history to break 1000 yds rushing in a season and then lost six yards on the very next play and finished the season with 994. Falcons luck....SMDH  Rise Up

That's sooooo Falcons from way back then......

Here's another one...Erric Peagram who broke 1,000 for us in '93....went on to play for steelers in SB couple years later.......

Herr Doktor and Lowndesfalc like this

7 hours ago, KCartledge85 said:

This is an easy one. Keith Brooking hands down. Everyone let’s his last few years in the league take away from his accomplishments 

Kieth was going to be my post. He was everywhere, Hit like a truck. Loved watching that guy.

Herr Doktor likes this

18 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I'm gonna vote for Eric Weems. Yall boys already know I loved me some Weems. Had the attitude and the want to I prefer in an NFL player. Give me 22 Weemsies and I'll beat your as. Not totally embraced by TATF. Undrafted free agent from a small Florida HBCU. Smitty scouted him when he was a high school QB and gave him a shot when he inherited him in 2008. Thank you Smitty cause he's one of my favorite Falcon special teamers and gets a slot in my Top 20 all time Falcon favs.

Pro Bowl gunner. Good returner. Not many returners can handle both punts and kicks. Weems could. Second all time Falcon in punt yards per return with 50+ returns (Rossum). Third all time Falcon kick returner in yards per return with 100+ returns (Vaughn, Norwood). Even with a couple years under Goody's kickoff rules. Caught everything thrown to him as a WR (90% catch rate). Our special teams suffered when Dimi let Weems walk in 2012 and again in 2017. Very underrated. He was explosive.

Wow. Never fully realized how tough and strong he was. Reminds me of steve smith a little bit. 

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

Guy was a Touch Down machine!  He was a Juggernaut at the goal line.  Unstoppable!

Edited by KingBlackkDawgg