slider

Most Underrated Alltime Falcons By Falcon Fans!

192 posts in this topic

We all know Falcons players and the team itself is chronically under appreciated but there are many players throughout the years that have been under appreciated by the fans in the ATL. My underappreciated Falcon by the Falcon fans is without a doubt Jeff Van Note. The Rock of the offense. This man should be in the Hall however he is never mentioned when it comes to his own Fans much less anyone else's. What's your under rated Falcon?

Posted (edited)

Two amazing Falcons LBs and 3 OL probably nobodies to casual NFL fans. Van Note, Nobis, Tuggle, Kenn, and maybe even Whitfield?

Also: 

Bob Christianson

PPS: other ring of honor guys that get overlooked Humphrey and Williams Andrews.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

11 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Two amazing Falcons LBs and 3 OL probably nobodies to casual NFL fans. Van Note, Nobis, Tuggle, Kenn, and maybe even Whitfield?

Also: 

Bob Christianson

PPS: other ring of honor guys that get overlooked Humphrey and Williams Andrews.

Can't agree more. Especially Mike Kenn and my all time favorite Falcon...Claude Humphrey. Strange that Claude is in the hall but he's woefully under mentioned by ATL fans.

Vandy and Ergo Proxy like this

6 minutes ago, slider said:

Can't agree more. Especially Mike Kenn and my all time favorite Falcon...Claude Humphrey. Strange that Claude is in the hall but he's woefully under mentioned by ATL fans.

I mean to be fair I'm young and don't know these players that well. Just did some digging and reading of others opinions over the years.

Scott Case honorable mention, too!

Just now, Ergo Proxy said:

I mean to be fair I'm young and don't know these players that well. Just did some digging and reading of others opinions over the years.

While I agree Scott Case is a great all time Falcon, I don't think he's under appreciated. Most Old school Falcon fans will include Scott Case when they talk about past Falcons. We all loved that guy. What Falcon caught your eye and you wonder why he's not recognized more? You don't have to be an old guy, it can even be a current player.

Ergo Proxy and Tim Mazetti like this

6 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Most younger fans know Brian Jordan as an ex-Brave who does the Braves telecasts but he was also a Falcons safety who would knock a m'fer out. The Falcons lost a good one when he decided to go Baseball only.

45 minutes ago, RubberDucky said:

From my time as being a fan (03- present), I'll have to say Rod Coleman. 30 sacks in 4 years with us as a DT. I could be mistaken, but I don't remember him having much national praise. 

Agreed. 

Rod Coleman was an absolute beast for us. 

Lowndesfalc and Ergo Proxy like this

54 minutes ago, slider said:

Most younger fans know Brian Jordan as an ex-Brave who does the Braves telecasts but he was also a Falcons safety who would knock a m'fer out. The Falcons lost a good one when he decided to go Baseball only.

He was a head banger. Didn’t he stop football due to some injury issues? I can’t recall.

Ergo Proxy likes this

1 minute ago, 1989Fan said:

He was a head banger. Didn’t he stop football due to some injury issues? I can’t recall.

Yes. He made a business decision.

7 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Under appreciated by the Falcons fans? Matt Ryan.

Others would be Todd McClure, Todd Weiner, Brady Smith.

Good picks for being underrated. We definitely saw a big drop off when McClure retired. Mack is a next level guy but Todd was reliable NFL C.

Also, Ryan may definitely be the most underrated player in franchise history and by definition Mike Vick overrated; ceiling and potential vs output. With Ryan we should've won a SB already but "fans" are blinded by the blame game as usual and we degrade our own when not exciting athletically like a Michael Vick.

By general public, Tommy Nobis. The fact that he’s not in HOF is a travesty. Blank and McKay need to get off their azzes and fix this wrong. 

By Falcon Fans, I’d Say Jim Mitchell, a pro-bowl TE Back in the 70’s. Most falcon fans don’t even know who he was. 

P.S. Props to @sliderfor creating a great thread.

5 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Very, VERY UNDERAPPRECIATED

Photos: Falcons' winningest quarterbacks

Holy crap, is that a Chris Miller sighting?!?

its a shame what concussions did to him, and that’s when the league looked the other way even!

octoslash, CaliFalcons and 4dabirds like this

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

By general public, Tommy Nobis. The fact that he’s not in HOF is a travesty. 

By Falcon Fans, I’d Say Jim Mitchell, an pro-bowl TE Back in the 70’s. Most falcon fans don’t even know who he was. 

Good call. Loved watching that guy play. John Mackey kind of tight end. Would drag defenders into the end zone on his back  

Vandy likes this

7 minutes ago, slider said:

Good call. Loved watching that guy play. John Mackey kind of tight end. Would drag defenders into the end zone on his back  

Great blocker too...