Falcons Fan MVP

Why did the Falcons lay an egg in 23-7 loss in super bowl rematch to the Patriots?

53 posts in this topic

One loss in our 2017 season upset me much more than all the others. The 23-7 loss to the Patriots. We almost got shut out in probably the biggest rematch in our team history. The Falcons should have been jacked up. They should have at least put up a good fight. We barely scored any points. Our defense played okay IMO. But our offense looked like crap. How did we lay such an egg on this night vs the Patriots? I wish we could have played them week 1. I think it would have been a better game at the right time.

Jerz likes this

5 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Go back and watch. Its a lot more simple than you think

I was so mad after that game I deleted that game. I wish I hadn't of now.

Knight of God likes this

23 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

One loss in our 2017 season upset me much more than all the others. The 23-7 loss to the Patriots. 

It should not upset you, when you understand the game was fixed, like all SBs. The Falcons are owed one big one, which they will cash in on this year. The NFL will put this year's SB setting as one where the Falcons come back and get the one that slipped away. It will be a great story-line of never giving-up, fighting back from adversity, and finally holding on to a lead. The Falcons will lead in the second half of the SB, can they hold-on this time........Yes they will! 

I think they came in too emotional and didn't execute.  Then a couple of bad plays went against them early and they never got that momentum back.  Especially the roughing the passer penalty that cancelled out Alford's interception and ended-up in a NWE touchdown and then going for it on 4th down with 2-min left in the half that resulted in another NWE touchdown.    If those two plays go differently then it would have been a completely different game.

20 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

It should not upset you, when you understand the game was fixed, like all SBs. The Falcons are owed one big one, which they will cash in on this year. The NFL will put this year's SB setting as one where the Falcons come back and get the one that slipped away. It will be a great story-line of never giving-up, fighting back from adversity, and finally holding on to a lead. The Falcons will lead in the second half of the SB, can they hold-on this time........Yes they will! 

Who do you think our opponent will be?

19 minutes ago, Brewcrew said:

I think they came in too emotional and didn't execute.  Then a couple of bad plays went against them early and they never got that momentum back.  Especially the roughing the passer penalty that cancelled out Alford's interception and ended-up in a NWE touchdown and then going for it on 4th down with 2-min left in the half that resulted in another NWE touchdown.    If those two plays go differently then it would have been a completely different game.

And those 2 BS missed FG's. 

7 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

Pittsburgh

I'd love that. We match up well with Pittsburgh IMO. But the only way the Steelers make it is if somebody knocks off NE because the Steelers just can't beat NE especially in the playoffs.

Posted (edited)

That was the game that really showed Steve Sarkisian's true colors. I don't consider that game as a blowout like a lot of people do. The Falcons weren't being pushed around by the Patriots defense. The Falcons defense did well against an always good Patriots offense with Brady as the QB. We just didn't execute. The Falcons were moving the ball well on the Patriots all day it's just that when we got in the red zone we went away with no points several times. We left at least 17 points off the board. The Panthers with Cam Newton at QB, less talented receivers, and Mike Shula as their OC who just got fired after the 2017 season scored 33 points in New England and won. The Chiefs who was lucky to get through a weak AFC West scored 42 points in the opener in New England. The Falcons are the only team in the NFC South who doesn't have a win over Belichick which is sad. The Bucs beat the Patriots in New England in 2000 and won the Super Bowl in 2002. The Panthers have beaten the Patriots 3 times which was 2005, 2013, and 2017. The Saints were in their dome building and dominated the Patriots the year they won the Super Bowl. The Falcons best chance to finally beat Brady and Belichick was the Super Bowl and......

Edited by mqg96

16 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

Pittsburgh

If we lose to the Steelers in Pittsburgh but have a rematch in the Super Bowl and beat them on our home turf then that would be awesome. 

2 hours ago, Cheap Talk said:

Wow you actually went there smh you know that aint true

Vandy likes this

33 minutes ago, sdogg said:

The Falcons are the official sacrificial lambs of the NFL. 

I don't think so. The Vikings, The Lions and the Browns seem way more cursed than we do. 

The Offense was not good last year, especially vs playoff teams. Take a look at these point totals vs playoff teams 

Home vs Buffalo- 17, L

Away vs New England - 7, L

Away vs Carolina - 17, L

Home vs Minnesota - 9, L

Home vs New Orleans- 20, W

Away vs New Orleans- 13, L

Home vs Carolina - 23, W

Away vs LA Rams - 26, W

Away vs Philadelphia- 10, L

Averaged less than 16 points vs playoff teams. It didn't matter if the playoff team had a very good D or a bad D... the Falcons couldn't score against the better teams.  

mqg96, vitaman and rounz like this

3 hours ago, Brewcrew said:

Yeah, the Alford pick call back was a big time dagger not to mention a bull$hit call to begin with!

VTCrunkler likes this

Posted (edited)

36 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Yeah, the Alford pick call back was a big time dagger not to mention a bull$hit call to begin with!

Watch this simply for the Devondre "Campbells" first highlight

Edited by VTCrunkler

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

Watch this simply for the Devondre "Campbells" first highlight

You see how many chances the Falcons had to score early on and late in the game? That's why I believe the Falcons beat themselves in this game (specifically the offensive side of the ball like it did all year long). We were moving the ball well on the Patriots all night but we couldn't get any points in the red zone including 2 shanked Matt Bryant field goals. It's different when your O-line is getting dominated and you can't move the ball at all. That wasn't the case for the Falcons in this game.

Edited by mqg96

1 minute ago, mqg96 said:

You see how many chances the Falcons had to score early on and late in the game? That's why I believe the Falcons beat themselves in this game (specifically the offensive side of the ball like it did all year long). We were moving the ball well on the Patriots all night but we couldn't get any points in the red zone including 2 shanked Matt Bryant field goals. It's different when you're O-line is getting dominated and you can't move the ball at all. That wasn't the case for the Falcons in this game.

what I noticed was the patriots were converting 3rd and 15's with regularity.  our d wasn't playing bad....our o didn't capitalize...

mqg96 likes this