Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AF89

Atlanta United July Thread

42 posts in this topic

Well so far we've somehow managed to move up in the standings this weekend. Dallas lost and NYFC let it get away late like we did (which is a net positive for us as the team ahead)

Really need LAFC to beat Red Bulls tonight.

The frustrating thing is all we had to do was hold on 4 more mins and we go 6 points clear and start to really put this race in a choke hold

The good news is I think we should still be hanging on to first when we come back in 2 weeks. (I think?)

Not so sure we didn't get away with that handball (everyone is saying natural position but I dunno) but that was a quality win against a playoff team.

Josef ties the record, we move back into 1st.

On 19/08/2018 at 11:07 PM, AF89 said:

Not so sure we didn't get away with that handball (everyone is saying natural position but I dunno) but that was a quality win against a playoff team.

Josef ties the record, we move back into 1st.

Not a penalty. 

That MLS channel rubbish on the weeks controversial decisions is a comedy show.

"Oh but he made himself look bigger". There's a multitude of ways you can do that, morons.

Just now, Domed Outter said:

Not a penalty. 

That MLS channel rubbish on the weeks controversial decisions is a comedy show.

"Oh but he made himself look bigger". There's a multitude of ways you can do that, morons.

Oh those guys are always making the call against us. Warsaw in particular likes egging our fans, not sure what the history is there but he's pretty open about it.

I think it was "probably" a handball, I certainly want it called the otger way. It was sort of that tweener area between natural and making himself bigger. Have no idea why people keep saying his hand went out to meet the ball tho. Looked to me like it was clearly coming back into his body. Lucky for us we had one of the league refs who pulls the fewest cards and always falls back on letting things play out when in doubt

God that New York Darby was the absolute perfect result for Atlanta,  lot of physical play, red cards and a draw

1 minute ago, AF89 said:

Hail to the King

Lol just realized never made an August thread. Oh well too late now.

Ride this one out through the playoffs might be in order.

Couldn't find a link to watch the game. How did they play?

Just now, Domed Outter said:

Ride this one out through the playoffs might be in order.

Couldn't find a link to watch the game. How did they play?

Absolutely dominated possession but Orlando pretty much bunkered down. Orlando really only had two threats on goal all game, one of which they buried in the corner for one of the better goals of the year.

Josef got exactly one 1 on 1 the entire night (every ball in was an excerise of 4 or 5 guys closing in on him) and he chipped it in.

46 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Absolutely dominated possession but Orlando pretty much bunkered down. Orlando really only had two threats on goal all game, one of which they buried in the corner for one of the better goals of the year.

Josef got exactly one 1 on 1 the entire night (every ball in was an excerise of 4 or 5 guys closing in on him) and he chipped it in.

Sounds like a textbook win of late. 

Luckily the Rooney factor means we've got the broadcast next week, before I fly out on the 10th.

48 minutes ago, Domed Outter said:

Sounds like a textbook win of late. 

Luckily the Rooney factor means we've got the broadcast next week, before I fly out on the 10th.

Eh, they almost gave up a late one again. I can't stand it when they get complacent late in games even with just one goal leads.

2 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Eh, they almost gave up a late one again. I can't stand it when they get complacent late in games even with just one goal leads.

Not sure if we saw the same match the same way but Orlando barely threatened us at any point in that game. Dwyer had that nice header that forced Guzan to into an awkward reach but that's the skill of Dom Dwyer one of the better forwards in American soccer. Otherwise at no point did I ever really feel worried about that game. We dominated the ball and pretty much controlled every area of the field. They were getting behind Gressell a little bit but he's not a natural fullback  who plays a good bit of the game in the offensive zone so I don't think it was completely unexpected.  The one goal they had I just have to  take my hand off to them (as they say on 680). That no name player will probably never have a better goal in their career.

My only criticism is they sometimes pass up the easier opportunities to make the harder passes and they may have been guilty of trying to feed Josef a little too much.

Also that may have been some of the best final 5 to 10 mins on the road in a one score game they've yet played. Instead of continuously clearing it down field they stayed on the ball, and frustrated Orlando w/ ball chasing. (With a good amount of good ol fashion time wasting thrown in for good measure)