Falcons Fan MVP

What is our defenses weaknesses?

52 posts in this topic

Our defense seems loaded going into 2018 good D line, good secondary and good linebacker. What weaknesses does our defense have? Where are we vulnerable on defense?

I’d say the run game.  Seems like we’re built around speed and it’s easy to get gashed and overpowered?? Right or wrong? 

22 minutes ago, Diesel_Bird said:

I’d say the run game.  Seems like we’re built around speed and it’s easy to get gashed and overpowered?? Right or wrong? 

They've actually been quietly good against the run the last 2 years.

I have more of a concern that our early down and rotational DEs might be more run stuffers and average at best rushing the passer, which is notable because NFL teams still pass plenty on early downs and out of "running" formations.

On obvious passing downs or formations, it's easy, just let Takk and Beasley run wild, but I'm still not as sure in other situations exactly how they'll find a balanced attack that can defend everything well. Is there a good balance to be found, or do you have to constantly guess right which personnel works best?

I'm sure Quinn has a plan of how these guys can work in his scheme even if they aren't great individually, but DE does remain a little bit of a question, even without taking into account that Talk and Beasley still have a lot of progressing to take their games to the next level.

I'm optimistic, but DE has been a question for so long, that you can't help but temper expectations...

Edited by B3TD
Run 'n' Shoot and Diesel_Bird like this

Misdirection plays, short passes, and run defense are my main concerns as they were our weakness last season in some instances. We'll see whats up this year.

I'd throw consistent pass rush in there as well. Especially on money downs.

Edited by Jerz

10 minutes ago, Jerz said:

Misdirection plays, short passes, and run defense are my main concerns as they were our weakness last season in some instances. We'll see whats up this year.

I'd throw consistent pass rush in there as well. Especially on money downs.

The first one will always give an aggressive defense some issues and the second one is by design. We give up short passes in cover 3. Natural weakness. Underneath throws, curls, comebacks etc...and the seams. That’s why it’s important to have the speed we have to immediately make the tackle with a minimal gain. It’s a natural weakness of the defensive system but it’s not a weakness.   

DT-will McClain play better in 4-3, is Senate legit?

Duke Riley-no explanation needed

Nickle CB-is Oliver the real deal? Will Poole play more like his rookie season than last year?

Edited by TRUju2111
Tim Mazetti likes this

1 hour ago, TRUju2111 said:

DT-will McClain play better in 4-3, is Senate legit?

Duke Riley-no explanation needed

Nickle CB-is Oliver the real deal? Will Poole play more like his rookie season than last year?

Nice.

TRUju2111 likes this

18 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

I’d say not knowing how the WLB position will be if Riley doesn’t step up. So far he’s been looking good but outside of WLB none. 

agree but I do like Ishmael as a backup there

plus there is no backup for Campbell at SLB   (yea they could move Beasley BUT no one likes that)

Tim Mazetti likes this

Youth

But expect those young guys to step it up even more in their 2nd(Takk) and 3rd(Debo and Neal) years.

Beasley will be back to doing what he does best along with Jarrett becoming a force.

On 7/5/2018 at 1:56 PM, Vandy said:

Stopping the run is where I still have questions. 

On 7/5/2018 at 1:57 PM, RING OF HONOR said:

Linebacker depth...

Both of these answers are my answer as well. Falcons must improve their rushing defense. Giving up 4.1 yards per pop on the ground isn't good enough. I guess the good news is the longest run against the Falcons in 2017 was only 46 yards, 7th best in the NFL. Here's an insane stat for you, the longest run all season against the Chiefs was only 27 yards. That's freaking amazing. But the Chiefs run defense as a whole was awful, they gave up 4.3 yards per pop and 15 rushing TD's.

blkbigdog35, Vandy and Drew4719 like this