Good Things Happen When We......

Garrapolo is da future.

of all QBs will a full sample size, Ryan is not only first in QB rating, but also YPA. That’s impressive.

possibly the most underrated player in the NFL (yes even though he got MVP, which many were reluctant to acknowledge and are now quick to call a fluke season)

It makes you wonder what his career would have looked like playing with 2 good pass protection guards the whole time.  We've always had run blocking guards, and in general haven't had a solid OL interior (over the last decade).

That's always the part I want strong.  If your C G C is strong...it provides a great platform for the run and the pass.  And it's particularly important if you have a pocket QB.  Saints and Pats used to be great at keeping focus on that.

2 minutes ago, Peyton said:

So........Tom Brady is the 14th best QB in the league when in a clean pocket.

The guy must have a perfect passer rating when the pocket isn't clean then.

Yeah that number stood out to me as well.  Especially since he has a clean pocket more than most QBs in the games I've watched.  I always think "sure with that time...."

I would have expected his numbers to be 110 QB rating when clean, 70 when pressured.

2 minutes ago, Peyton said:

So........Tom Brady is the 14th best QB in the league when in a clean pocket.

The guy must have a perfect passer rating when the pocket isn't clean then.

Yeah there is something definitely wrong with this list.  

1 minute ago, takeitdown said:

Yeah that number stood out to me as well.  Especially since he has a clean pocket more than most QBs in the games I've watched.  I always think "sure with that time...."

His passer rating over the last three years is better than 105 and he has 96 TDs to 17 INTs.  So....if he is just an 89.9 guy with a clean pocket, maybe teams shouldn't rush him at all.

8 minutes ago, Peyton said:

His passer rating over the last three years is better than 105 and he has 96 TDs to 17 INTs.  So....if he is just an 89.9 guy with a clean pocket, maybe teams shouldn't rush him at all.

That would definitely be the logical assumption based on the numbers. 3 man rush, 8 covering a man/zone combination would seem to be the best strategy for Brady.

54 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Exactly.  The numbers are crazy.

Would like to see how these jibe with his numbers earlier in his career.  He used to have more trouble with pressure, particularly interior pressure...I wonder if all the option routes now make it so he's unbeatable with the blitz, and blitz numbers are what inflate his "unclean pocket" numbers.

Impossible to tell without more data, but that would be my first guess.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2017/12/27/new-england-patriots-tom-brady-is-only-elite-qb-when-pressured-this-season/

https://nesn.com/2017/11/tom-brady-has-been-nfls-best-qb-when-pressured-and-its-not-even-close/

I guess this would speak to Brady's numbers in 17 at least.  He's 110, while most other top QBs are in the 50's when pressured.  I still wonder how many are blitz.

On 7/3/2018 at 2:17 PM, takeitdown said:

Exactly.  The numbers are crazy.

Would like to see how these jibe with his numbers earlier in his career.  He used to have more trouble with pressure, particularly interior pressure...I wonder if all the option routes now make it so he's unbeatable with the blitz, and blitz numbers are what inflate his "unclean pocket" numbers.

Impossible to tell without more data, but that would be my first guess.

The problem is it's an entirely subjective process to determine what a clean pocket is for this list.  Is it automatically not a clean pocket if the defense blitzed?  That wouldn't make sense since a blitz can be picked up and the pocket kept clean.

I don't have any doubt that if Brady, Rodgers, Ryan (or any vet QB) asked the person to go through all the pockets deemed as 'clean' or 'unclean', they would disagree with a lot of the subjective opinions the person that created this list made.  

26 minutes ago, McMVP said:

The problem is it's an entirely subjective process to determine what a clean pocket is for this list.  Is it automatically not a clean pocket if the defense blitzed?  That wouldn't make sense since a blitz can be picked up and the pocket kept clean.

I don't have any doubt that if Brady, Rodgers, Ryan (or any vet QB) asked the person to go through all the pockets this person deemed as 'clean' or 'unclean', they would disagree with a lot of the subjective opinions the person that this list made.  

Agreed.  And the bigger factor, which I never see included in these is "time to unclean pocket, or time to pressure."

A guy like Roethlisberger gets pressured often, but it's because he holds the ball for 4 seconds a lot.  While a guy like Ryan may get pressured less often, but he has to get rid of the ball in 2.4 seconds.  The latter guy is getting a lot more "pressure affecting his gameplan" while the former guy looks like he's actually getting pressure.

When your gameplan is completely altered to take away all deep throws or double moves because the time for the D to get home is always under 3 seconds...sure, you may not see many pressures, but your job as a QB is much more difficult, and your throwing windows are going to be tighter because the D knows it.