Jump to content

Falcons @ Eagles- Game 1 Perfect Time to Play Them


Recommended Posts

The Falcons have a glaring advantage against the Eagles I have been talking about for a few weeks now. It was only yesterday I saw someone (The Falcoholic) address this advantage.   

THE OFFENSE

The Eagles had a LOT of turnover this offseason not just in key players, but also in losing their Offensive Coordinator Frank Reich and QB Coach John DeFilippo who was a key in development of Carson Wentz. They also have many key contributors coming back from injury that will be starting game 1 that weren't playing late last year that will need to shake some rust off.

We Falcon fans are quite aware of what can happen when you lose your offensive coordinator. There is an adjustment period, sometimes for a full season. It is well known the Eagles high power offense last year was a result of heavy input from the HC, OC and QB. Yes, the Eagles did promote their WR coach to OC and promoted the inexperienced Press Taylor as QB coach who will be in charge of continuing the development of Wentz. Will this be a seamless transition?  I would expect growing pains to last at minimum early in the regular season.

When you consider the above, you also have to consider the Eagles lost their starting RB Blount, starting WR Torrey Smith, TE's  Trey Burton (300 snaps, excellent red zone TE , 5 TDs) and Brent Celek (465 snaps and an awesome blocking TE), their starting LT hasn't played in a game since October 2017, their starting QB will not have played in a real game for 9 months when we play them. Will Wentz be a little protective of his knee coming back from an ACL and not play wide open which is what made him so good?  While stud receiving TE Ertz comes back, just changing out those two major contributing TEs and replacing with a draft pick is going to restrict/weaken a lot of the formations they ran last year while the new TE learns the game. TEs play a big role in Eagles run offense. Any Falcon fan should know it takes most TEs a full season just to learn the offense. 

THE DEFENSE

Eagles just found out one of their best and key defensive players Nigel Bradham is out for Falcons game. This would be like Falcons losing Deion Jones, its a huge loss. Then Eagles lost star DE Vinny Curry, massive rotating run stuffing DT Beau Allen, they'll be without starting DT Timmy Jernigan to injury, they lost starting CB Patrick Robinson and LB Mychal Kendricks.  The Eagles best pass rusher from last year Brandon Graham will be coming off surgery.  

Sure, the Eagles plugged some holes with potentially better players, but ALL Falcon fans should know by now you are always rolling the dice when you bring in high priced FAs.  Ngata at 34 years old has missed a lot of games the last 4 seasons including 9 last year.  And who is to say Michael Bennett will fit in the Eagles locker room? Big name, high priced, outspoken free agents can seriously alter team chemistry.

CONCLUSION

I still expect Eagles to be one of the better NFC teams, but not necessarily right out of the gate. You can't just assume we are playing the exact same team we saw win the Super Bowl. It has had an awful lot of change in so many places they will probably get off to a rocky start, especially playing a high power team like the Falcons.  The Falcons will be going to Philly with few changes from last year, most likely a much better version due to young defense taking another step. 

I believe the Falcons have a better than 50% chance of pulling out a win in game 1. 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post. I read the Falchoholic article that you referenced.

All the things that you mentioned certainly indicate that, indeed, this Eagles' team is not close the SB Champs team.

This opening season game could out draw many past championship games........Well, maybe not, but it is going to be on a grand stage.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great read Gaz!  I still think we've really got to get 'tuned up' because Philly has been one of those achille's heals places for us to place the past few years (if not always).  I really love our chances considering the changes on the Eagle's with coaching and player status but know it's going to take a complete effort by our team, especially the offense to put them away.  Coming out of there 1-0 should provide great momentum to come home for three straight against the Panthers, an Ingram-less Saints and Bengals, we could be in a good position to go to Pittsburgh at 4-0 to start the season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't be surprised to see the Eagles regress early this year as Wentz starts but comes out weaker with fear of getting hurt again. 

The question is how much they will play him in preseason and how it will impact him-too much play could reignite injuries or bring him into week 1 tired or sore.  But, not playing him heavily in preseason will make him in for full speed shock.

There may even be a controversy by mid-year for the Eagles to start Foles and sit Wentz.  Fortunately, we will be long gone after our first week overrun of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

SB champs almost never drop their first game the following season. A typical Falcon scrip for a season start like this would be we win a close hard game against them and then they implode their season taking away any credit it would give us.

I think when we meet anything missing from their team will be negated by Carson's return. Also, given that our New Dline may need time to gel could mean that the game-plan for them could be simplified  in a run it down our throat game.

What we will need for this game -  Calvin running double-move routes, Middle of the d can't get pushed around, Free healthy but, most of all we need Sark to be what Quinn knows he can be.

It's a winnable game for us. it would be nice to see us announce to the world with a win that, we are coming for a ring in the first game of the season, instead of "finding our groove" most of the way through the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, The O.D.B said:

SB champs almost never drop their first game the following season. A typical Falcon scrip for a season start like this would be we win a close hard game against them and then they implode their season taking away any credit it would give us.

I think when we meet anything missing from their team will be negated by Carson's return. Also, given that our New Dline may need time to gel could mean that the game-plan for them could be simplified  in a run it down our throat game.

What we will need for this game -  Calvin running double-move routes, Middle of the d can't get pushed around, Free healthy but, most of all we need Sark to be what Quinn knows he can be.

It's a winnable game for us. it would be nice to see us announce to the world with a win that, we are coming for a ring in the first game of the season, instead of "finding our groove" most of the way through the season.

Lol you better go check the defending champions record in opening night games man

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, gazoo said:

The Falcons have a glaring advantage against the Eagles I have been talking about for a few weeks now. It was only yesterday I saw someone (The Falcoholic) address this advantage.   

THE OFFENSE

The Eagles had a LOT of turnover this offseason not just in key players, but also in losing their Offensive Coordinator Frank Reich and QB Coach John DeFilippo who was a key in development of Carson Wentz. They also have many key contributors coming back from injury that will be starting game 1 that weren't playing late last year that will need to shake some rust off.

We Falcon fans are quite aware of what can happen when you lose your offensive coordinator. There is an adjustment period, sometimes for a full season. It is well known the Eagles high power offense last year was a result of heavy input from the HC, OC and QB. Yes, the Eagles did promote their WR coach to OC and promoted the inexperienced Press Taylor as QB coach who will be in charge of continuing the development of Wentz. Will this be a seamless transition?  I would expect growing pains to last at minimum early in the regular season.

When you consider the above, you also have to consider the Eagles lost their starting RB Blount, starting WR Torrey Smith, TE's  Trey Burton (300 snaps, excellent red zone TE , 5 TDs) and Brent Celek (465 snaps and an awesome blocking TE), their starting LT hasn't played in a game since October 2017, their starting QB will not have played in a real game for 9 months when we play them. Will Wentz be a little protective of his knee coming back from an ACL and not play wide open which is what made him so good?  While stud receiving TE Ertz comes back, just changing out those two major contributing TEs and replacing with a draft pick is going to restrict/weaken a lot of the formations they ran last year while the new TE learns the game. TEs play a big role in Eagles run offense. Any Falcon fan should know it takes most TEs a full season just to learn the offense. 

THE DEFENSE

Eagles just found out one of their best and key defensive players Nigel Bradham is out for Falcons game. This would be like Falcons losing Deion Jones, its a huge loss. Then Eagles lost star DE Vinny Curry, massive rotating run stuffing DT Beau Allen, they'll be without starting DT Timmy Jernigan to injury, they lost starting CB Patrick Robinson and LB Mychal Kendricks.  The Eagles best pass rusher from last year Brandon Graham will be coming off surgery.  

Sure, the Eagles plugged some holes with potentially better players, but ALL Falcon fans should know by now you are always rolling the dice when you bring in high priced FAs.  Ngata at 34 years old has missed a lot of games the last 4 seasons including 9 last year.  And who is to say Michael Bennett will fit in the Eagles locker room? Big name, high priced, outspoken free agents can seriously alter team chemistry.

CONCLUSION

I still expect Eagles to be one of the better NFC teams, but not necessarily right out of the gate. You can't just assume we are playing the exact same team we saw win the Super Bowl. It has had an awful lot of change in so many places they will probably get off to a rocky start, especially playing a high power team like the Falcons.  The Falcons will be going to Philly with few changes from last year, most likely a much better version due to young defense taking another step. 

I believe the Falcons have a better than 50% chance of pulling out a win in game 1. 

 

 

 

 

 

I think we win the first 5 games honestly I think we match up well with really anyone on our schedule 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We really should have won that playoff game last year. Bad play call (I hate Fade routes they never hardly work) and Julio slipping was the difference. And I know had we won that game, we would have gone on to Minnesota and destroyed them... and then put us right back against the Patriots in a SB rematch, where i believe we would have won, with all the momentum of a run-away dump truck rolling down a hill.

 

That ONE PLAY changed the course of NFL history books, In my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

We really should have won that playoff game last year. Bad play call (I hate Fade routes they never hardly work) and Julio slipping was the difference. And I know had we won that game, we would have gone on to Minnesota and destroyed them... and then put us right back against the Patriots in a SB rematch, where i believe we would have won, with all the momentum of a run-away dump truck rolling down a hill.

 

That ONE PLAY changed the course of NFL history books, In my opinion.

It was a tough loss for you guys for sure.  My boys came out on the winning side that day, but I still feel your pain.  Been through it many times.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...