Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerz #Quinning

Football is Dead

75 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Stupid analogies, Football is a voluntary sport that seems WAY out of whack when it comes to CTE issues compared to other sports.

The key word you said there is "voluntary."  Kind of like joining the military, eating junk food, or sitting out in the sun getting a tan.  All of these things are voluntary activities that some people want to do.  All of these things also have possible negative health consequences.  

People can do whatever they want.  You can't have freedom and a guarantee of perfect health.  I'll take freedom.  And football!

CrimsonFalcon and Vandy like this

First off, prayers to that young mans family and him.  

From what I just read, Football and Ice Hockey are the highest concussed sports with Lacrosse and Soccer right behind.  

This was interesting though.  Women's high school soccer has the highest rate of concussions.  More than any other high school sport.

Absolutely NO attention being paid to that fact.  No money there!!!!!!

Falconsfan567 likes this

6 minutes ago, hjerry said:

That has more to do with the reason why a post death brain analysis being done is when they believe the person to have had CTE to begin with. 

They rarely test those who were not suspected of issue.

Yeah when you only test people who showed clear signs of CTE, those numbers might be a little skewed.

Falconsfan567 likes this

1 minute ago, 7979 said:

From what I just read, Football and Ice Hockey are the highest concussed sports with Lacrosse and Soccer right behind.  

This was interesting though.  Women's high school soccer has the highest rate of concussions.  More than any other high school sport.

In many combat sports, the entire goal is to concuss the other man!

The media just needs a hysteria so they can tell stories and sell advertisements.  Most people buy into it, and hence this thread.

Just now, DogIsYourName said:

The key word you said there is "voluntary."  Kind of like joining the military, eating junk food, or sitting out in the sun getting a tan.  All of these things are voluntary activities that some people want to do.  All of these things also have possible negative health consequences.  

People can do whatever they want.  You can't have freedom and a guarantee of perfect health.  I'll take freedom.  And football!

Same stuff happened with the tobacco industry, deny the reports, obscure what is going on and pretend everything is going ok.

Either rule changes are going to make the NFL moot to current fans or the talent pool will shrink or the sport will be regulated out of existence.

It is pretty clear where this is headed

1 minute ago, 7979 said:

Is UFC included as a sport? I would think those guys and gals would get concussed every match.

Just now, MAD597 said:

Same stuff happened with the tobacco industry, deny the reports, obscure what is going on and pretend everything is going ok.

Either rule changes are going to make the NFL moot to current fans or the talent pool will shrink or the sport will be regulated out of existence.

Should we ban snow skiing also?  Every day someone gets concussed or breaks a leg on the mountain.

Rules are meant to serve people.  As a society, we need to examine the rules to make sure we are not just serving them instead.

2 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

In many combat sports, the entire goal is to concuss the other man!

I played hockey for 30 years.  I know about concussions.

The fact that no attention is being payed to young women picking up more concussions than guys, yet the hysteria surrounds mens sports is pathetic and it is because there is no money in women's high school sports.

You are 100% right about the media.  The lib media wants everyone in bubblewrap!

Falconsfan567 likes this

Don't know why UFC or boxing was not in this list.  I agree, I would think those sports would lead by a hefty margin.

Whoever mentioned snow skiing, I do that also and it can deliver some hefty boo boo's.

Life isn't any fun unless  your living it and that comes with risks.

When you scare yourself, your senses come to life, and the adrenaline rush is AWESOME!

That's when your TRUELY alive!

8 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

Should we ban snow skiing also?  Every day someone gets concussed or breaks a leg on the mountain.

Rules are meant to serve people.  As a society, we need to examine the rules to make sure we are not just serving them instead.

Keep doing the dumb analogies, this isn't going to help the reality of the situation

Either the sport changes so much to lessen the amount and impact of CTE's and loses fans because it turns into flag football or it tries to deny it all and it gets regulated out of existence and has it's talent pool dry up.

4 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Keep doing the dumb analogies, this isn't going to help the reality of the situation

Either the sport changes so much to lessen the amount and impact of CTE's and loses fans because it turns into flag football or it tries to deny it all and it gets regulated out of existence and has it's talent pool dry up.

Why is it a dumb analogy?  I seems like any recreational activity with a similar probability of concussion would be just as serious.  Why single out football?  It's just more awesome than the others?

1 hour ago, MAD597 said:

I don't think that the NFL will EVER be flag football.  But I see absolutely no problem with recreational youth through high school football going to flag football.  Educated parents probably don't want their kids to get brain damage by the time they're graduating high school.  I mean, that's the basics of this.  Developing brains get brain damage from repeated concussive and sub-concussive impacts.  I would think that an enlightened society wouldn't want to do that to their kids.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want the government legislating it.  I think we should choose to go that route because it's the smart thing to do.

But back to the NFL...  They're modern day gladiators.  They make the big bucks because we want to see that rough and tumble action.  I fully support grown people beating the **** out of each other to earn a big paycheck for our enjoyment.  Even knowing what I know about CTE, I'd gladly strap on a helmet and pads and have a go at it for half a million dollars a year.  Also, knowing what I know about CTE, I'd NEVER play youth/high school ball, and I'd NEVER let my kids play.  Once they're grown up and can make their own fact based decisions, they can do what they want.

4 hours ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Unless you're a QB who plays behind the Colts or Seahawks o-line.

Touché 

4 hours ago, Jerz said:

Yeah you'd think right? Hopefully his brain was an anomaly and it spurred from instances outside of the sport. 

Let’s hope

16 hours ago, robertap said:

But I see absolutely no problem with recreational youth through high school football going to flag football.

How exactly does that work when kids get to college and don't know how to tackle? I swear common sense is dead.

4 hours ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

How exactly does that work when kids get to college and don't know how to tackle? I swear common sense is dead.

So, you're saying that we can't teach college kids how to tackle?  I'd imagine that if they weren't being subjected to brain damage in rec leagues and high school, they'd be even more capable of learning how to tackle once they got to college.  And maybe, they wouldn't be learning the wrong way to tackle from recreational and high school coaches.

On 6/26/2018 at 1:43 PM, MAD597 said:

Been hearing some version of this same story for 50+ years. 

On 26/6/2018 at 1:34 PM, hjerry said:

That has more to do with the reason why a post death brain analysis being done is when they believe the person to have had CTE to begin with. 

They rarely test those who were not suspected of issue.

That's not entirely accurate. The brains tested have been submitted through donations. Whether the family's donating the brains suspect their family member of having CTE or not is not known, it certainly isn't a requirement. 

23 hours ago, robertap said:

So, you're saying that we can't teach college kids how to tackle?  I'd imagine that if they weren't being subjected to brain damage in rec leagues and high school, they'd be even more capable of learning how to tackle once they got to college.  And maybe, they wouldn't be learning the wrong way to tackle from recreational and high school coaches.

Yeah because most athletes wait until college before learning basic techniques and then master those skills in one or two years. :doh:

NFL is doing everything to make the change to a sucky game gradual.. I understand why they are doing it players health is very important, but doesn't change the fact that Football just isn't enjoyable as it use to be

1 hour ago, Brehus said:

NFL is doing everything to make the change to a sucky game gradual.. I understand why they are doing it players health is very important, but doesn't change the fact that Football just isn't enjoyable as it use to be

What have they taken out of the game that make it less enjoyable?

On 6/30/2018 at 2:46 PM, Brehus said:

Maybe you're just depressed 

On 6/30/2018 at 3:18 PM, Falconsfan567 said:

What have they taken out of the game that make it less enjoyable?

It has been the cumulative effect of all the changes they made over the past several seasons.

On 6/26/2018 at 1:20 PM, ParanoidAndroid said:

I probably wont let my son play football competitively when he gets that age.  I need to get more Atlanta United gear to steer him in that direction instead. 

My boys play flag only, no tackle. My 14 yr old has already had a concussion by just playing basketball in PE, and missed 3 weeks of school. That wound up any talk of tackle football in our house.