Jerz #DukeSZN

Football is Dead

75 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

3. M.O.N.E.Y. 

This is where it starts and ends my dude!  Bingo.

"Cash rules everything around me".  This goes for owners, coaches, gm's, players, etc.  There is far too much money out there to be had for football to die off, at least in the very near future.  Now, I don't know what the sport looks like in 30 years...but at least for now it ain't going anywhere.  It rules over all other professional sports.  And as you mentioned, with legalized gambling, it's only going to continue to grow.

DawnOfThemBirds likes this

8 minutes ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

Is UFC dead?

Seriously how do we know that these are the majority of cases? If you look at all the NFL players that are retired, most go on to live long and normal lives. I think as a society we tend to over magnify the minority while dismissing the majority.

Exactly.

5 minutes ago, roguebeaver said:

So, sad he is gone and feel for his family! But, is it proven that football caused the CTE? Is that the only thing that causes CTE? Can we rule out him getting dropped on his head a few times as a baby!? 

Exactly. We don't even know if football is the key thing causing this. What about other violent sports like hockey, boxing or MMA/UFC? I have said this for a while that I think football is unfairly being singled out. We also don't know about childhood history or whatever. Me, I badly fell and hit my head as a child and shook my brain up pretty good. Had I played football I could have blamed it on football and folks would have ran with it without knowing the full story. That is what folks are doing in these few select cases.

9 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

Very sad. 

Curious that he was a quarterback that had CTE. That seems to be the position that is most insulated from big/repeated hits to the head. 

Unless you're a QB who plays behind the Colts or Seahawks o-line.

1 hour ago, Jerz said:

This game will never be the same. The rule changes will be so drastic that it just might not be enjoyable anymore. This guy was just a college QB, now imagine how someone like Freemans brain looks. 

Yea it is going to wind down soon enough. Another issue will be the long term talent sink that is happening.

Parents like myself are not going to let our children play football and are moving our kids to other sports that don't have serious concussion issues. Over time this will have a big impact on the talent pool that filters into the NFL.

I love the NFL but no way the sport can continue, 

17 minutes ago, roguebeaver said:

So, sad he is gone and feel for his family! But, is it proven that football caused the CTE? Is that the only thing that causes CTE? Can we rule out him getting dropped on his head a few times as a baby!? 

I'm not going to say I know for a fact but I'd put my money it was from football.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

5 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Yea it is going to wind down soon enough. Another issue will be the long term talent sink that is happening.

Parents like myself are not going to let our children play football and are moving our kids to other sports that don't have serious concussion issues. Over time this will have a big impact on the talent pool that filters into the NFL.

I love the NFL but no way the sport can continue, 

I don't have any data to back this up and this is solely an assumption, but I would say most of the talent in the NFL comes from the poor sector of the population. I don't think the majority of NFL players had an upper middle class to rich childhood. That being said, I don't see poor parents limiting their kids chances to better themselves financially through football. I don't think we will see a talent decline anytime soon.

Edited by 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit

22 minutes ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

Is UFC dead?

Seriously how do we know that these are the majority of cases? If you look at all the NFL players that are retired, most go on to live long and normal lives. I think as a society we tend to over magnify the minority while dismissing the majority.

The thing is we don't. You may have players that go on to live long lives but whether they are "normal" or not is up in the air. Sometimes you have to understand the minority in some cases may be worth magnifying.

What happened is a tragedy to be sure, but things are not going to the way of the extremes that many claim.

They never do, and they never will.

The world just isn't that simple.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

19 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

Very sad. 

Curious that he was a quarterback that had CTE. That seems to be the position that is most insulated from big/repeated hits to the head. 

Yeah you'd think right? Hopefully his brain was an anomaly and it spurred from instances outside of the sport. 

6 minutes ago, Jerz said:

The thing is we don't. You may have players that go on to live long lives but whether they are "normal" or not is up in the air. Sometimes you have to understand the minority in some cases may be worth magnifying.

The problem is we focus solely on the minority and disregard  everything else that doesn't fit a certain narrative most of the time. Is brain trauma something that should be looked at and prevented as much as possible? Yes. But we should in no way act like every NFL player is dying early and can't function in life, because that is extremely far from the truth.

Edited by 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit
DogIsYourName likes this

Just now, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

The problem is we focus solely on the minority and disregard  everything else that doesn't fit a certain narrative most of the time. Is brain trauma something that should be looked at and prevented as much as possible? Yes. But we should in no way act like every NFL player is dying early and can't function in life because that is extremely far from the truth.

Where have you seen this?

Ok, so this might not be popular, but the science says this...  The brain continues to develop until the age of 25.  After which, CTE won't be as big of a problem.

I think that we will start to see some significant changes to youth sports.  I think that full contact youth football needs to go.  Replace it with flag football.  Kids will still play, and parents will still cheer them on.  Continue with flag football through high school.

College football will probably also need to change.  Again, the science says that 25 years old is the magic cutoff number.  We also don't pay college players to risk their futures.  I could envision college ball turning into something similar to arena football.  If we can figure out a way to pay/insure college kids playing football, then I think we'd keep it, as is.  I think it's morally bankrupt to continue with uncompensated full contact sports, knowing what we know now, especially youth sports.

I think that pro football should remain somewhat similar to what we watch today.  I think the new rules which try to protect against these types of injuries will help.  And again, we're compensating these guys for the risks that they're taking.  (much more so than we compensate our police and fire officers.)

We also need to eliminate, "heading," from youth soccer.  Make intentional heading a penalty in youth soccer.  (obviously, the ball is going to hit kids in the head on occasion, and short of eliminating soccer entirely, we can't do anything to stop it.)

2 minutes ago, Jerz said:

Where have you seen this?

Myth: “While U.S. life expectancy is 77.6 years, recent studies suggest the average  For NFL players is 55.” — Source: St. Petersburg Times

• Fact: “A government study found a lower death rate among former NFL players than among men in the general population. Former players also had a lower rate of cancer-related deaths. And the rate of deaths from heart disease was lower, too.”
    Source: New York Times
  • Fact“We found the players in our study had a much lower rate of death overall compared to men in the general population. This means that, on average, NFL players (77.5-year life expectancy) are actually living longer than men in the general population (74.7 years).”
    Source: National Institute for Occupational Health and Safety Study (NIOSH)

https://operations.nfl.com/the-players/development-pipeline/college-advisory-committee/nfl-player-fact-vs-fiction/

Jerz #DukeSZN likes this

9 minutes ago, robertap said:

Ok, so this might not be popular, but the science says this...  The brain continues to develop until the age of 25.  After which, CTE won't be as big of a problem.

I think that we will start to see some significant changes to youth sports.  I think that full contact youth football needs to go.  Replace it with flag football.  Kids will still play, and parents will still cheer them on.  Continue with flag football through high school.

College football will probably also need to change.  Again, the science says that 25 years old is the magic cutoff number.  We also don't pay college players to risk their futures.  I could envision college ball turning into something similar to arena football.  If we can figure out a way to pay/insure college kids playing football, then I think we'd keep it, as is.  I think it's morally bankrupt to continue with uncompensated full contact sports, knowing what we know now, especially youth sports.

I think that pro football should remain somewhat similar to what we watch today.  I think the new rules which try to protect against these types of injuries will help.  And again, we're compensating these guys for the risks that they're taking.  (much more so than we compensate our police and fire officers.)

We also need to eliminate, "heading," from youth soccer.  Make intentional heading a penalty in youth soccer.  (obviously, the ball is going to hit kids in the head on occasion, and short of eliminating soccer entirely, we can't do anything to stop it.)

Why is it that you're framing CTE as a developmental problem rather than a functional problem? 

4 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Why is it that you're framing CTE as a developmental problem rather than a functional problem? 

"Developmental problem"  How so?  It is a functional problem by definition.  You get CTE from multiple concussive and sub-concussive hits.  Doctors believe that this is worse for developing brains.  If we eliminate full contact sports from youth programs, then we're greatly reducing the risk of young people developing CTE.

The problem with society is this idea that we should be removing all death and suffering from it.  To the contrary, all growth is through suffering.  Nothing risked, nothing gained.  It's okay to be sad when someone dies, but injury or death does not mean that the activity should be abandoned. 

Cars kill a whole lot more people and I don't see anyone banning those.  Same with junk food, beer, and too much sunlight.

23 minutes ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

The problem is we focus solely on the minority and disregard  everything else that doesn't fit a certain narrative most of the time. Is brain trauma something that should be looked at and prevented as much as possible? Yes. But we should in no way act like every NFL player is dying early and can't function in life, because that is extremely far from the truth.

Just about every Football player that they do post death brain analysis on has bad CTE. Doubt it's a minority of NFL players given the studies done so far

1 minute ago, DogIsYourName said:

The problem with society is this idea that we should be removing all death and suffering from it.  To the contrary, all growth is through suffering.  Nothing risked, nothing gained.  It's okay to be sad when someone dies, but injury or death does not mean that the activity should be abandoned. 

Cars kill a whole lot more people and I don't see anyone banning those.  Same with junk food, beer, and too much sunlight.

Stupid analogies, Football is a voluntary sport that seems WAY out of whack when it comes to CTE issues compared to other sports.

We once had Gladiators fight to the death or fight animals tot he death and we don't do that anymore.

Football will probably naturally die out due to rule changes that turn off the reason fans watch it and parents pushing children away from football and into other sports that don't dramatically cause CTE's causing a huge talent sink issue.

2 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Just about every Football player that they do post death brain analysis on has bad CTE. Doubt it's a minority of NFL players given the studies done so far

That has more to do with the reason why a post death brain analysis being done is when they believe the person to have had CTE to begin with. 

They rarely test those who were not suspected of issue.

1 minute ago, MAD597 said:

Stupid analogies, Football is a voluntary sport that seems WAY out of whack when it comes to CTE issues compared to other sports.

We once had Gladiators fight to the death or fight animals tot he death and we don't do that anymore.

Football will probably naturally die out due to rule changes that turn off the reason fans watch it and parents pushing children away from football and into other sports that don't dramatically cause CTE's causing a huge talent sink issue.

By the time that you and I die, Football will still be here and as popular has ever.