Tim Mazetti

Alford. What Will The Falcons Do?

90 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Interesting take on the salary cap. Imagine the additional cap space if JJ were to be traded/cut.

I also think Alford is a key piece and should be retained.  That said….the question is what Will the Falcons do?  I think they let him walk.

I also think it would be a mistake.  Why?

Because he is a Louisiana Boy and would finish his career with the hated Saints!

I would hate to see that.

Tim Mazetti likes this

14 minutes ago, lostnmexico said:

I also think Alford is a key piece and should be retained.  That said….the question is what Will the Falcons do?  I think they let him walk.

I also think it would be a mistake.  Why?

Because he is a Louisiana Boy and would finish his career with the hated Saints!

I would hate to see that.

Alford's got three years left on his contract. As long as he plays like he did last year, he is going to be in Atlanta.  Little early to be worrying about what they are going to do with Robert Alford.

If Oliver can really play, then great, the Falcons have three CBs who can really play. 

Great problem to have.

13 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Alford's got three years left on his contract. As long as he plays like he did last year, he is going to be in Atlanta.  Little early to be worrying about what they are going to do with Robert Alford.

If Oliver can really play, then great, the Falcons have three CBs who can really play. 

Great problem to have.

Thanks Peyton!  I am reassured and love what Alford brings to the secondary!  When he and Neal man the inside in the Nickle…...that is surely going to be fun to watch!

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Folks keep forgetting about Kazee as a nb option.

Forget Kazee, after seeing Rico play the slot as well as he did I want him there. He isn't a playmaker at safety but **** he could be one at NB. Kazee can go play FS or fall in a hole somewhere.

jdawg4876 and Da_Truth like this

3 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

Forget Kazee, after seeing Rico play the slot as well as he did I want him there. He isn't a playmaker at safety but **** he could be one at NB. Kazee can go play FS or fall in a hole somewhere.

LOL Yo....I think you (and a few others) will finally get your wish in that Rico’s gone next year, my man. We’ll either find a cheap FA and/or draft his replacement in 2019 draft.

Edit: Just saw Ron Parker signing. We may see Rico at nb sooner than we thought!

Da_Truth and Yo_Lover like this

Alford's salary is 8.5/yr. The only reason he would be cut is if his play falls off.

You saw the money they gave WRs this off-season? It's gonna be reflected in the deals for the guys covering them. Just like DEs and OTs. Each year that goes by, this deal will be more and more of a bargain. 

Just like Sanu, the money part of things is a good value for the team. If they keep producing then they aren't getting cut.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

LOL Yo....I think you (and a few others) will finally get your wish in that Rico’s gone next year, my man. We’ll either find a cheap FA and/or draft his replacement in 2019 draft.

Edit: Just saw Ron Parker signing. We may see Rico at nb sooner than we thought!

Man I hope. 

Vandy likes this

4 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

been saying that for yrs, allen is an avg fs but could be a beast aa nickel bc he dont need to cover as much ground, he has great hands and is a sure fire tackler. now though its going to be a battle between alford, and allen maybe unless you believe they are going to red shirt oliver so to speak for a yr or so.

Vandy likes this

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

hey I like allen ok he is just not a true FS, but he did what he he asked to do with great skill and grace. I truly mean that

Vandy likes this

Its crazy to me how people are just acting like Rico could be replaced ny just anybody. The dude literally does not get beat deep. He also almost never misses a tackle. Marquand Manuel who coached arguably the best FS in the game now said only Earl Thomas is better at erasing mistakes by other guys. He is just small in stature. He does wonders for our Defense qnd QBs dont even look deep when he is back there. 

Unless we are replacing him with Earl Thomas or Eric Berry Id rather keep him. We cant pay them all so hr may br a cap casualty but he is the best FS on the roster and one of the top 10 FS in the league. 

Sun Tzu 7 and Tim Mazetti like this

...and how old was Brent Grimes when we let him go? Seems like he has had a number of productive years since his time as a Falcon.

On 6/24/2018 at 4:41 PM, Sun Tzu 7 said:

You guys understand Alford is going to be 30 in November, right?

They just drafted his replacement.

Maybe he plays out his contract but it’s doubtful the Falcons resign him to another big deal.

I don't really see how being 30 makes a difference these days.  Players are playing longer into their 30's and it isn't like his skills are diminishing.  He's going strong and every year is in the convo for OUR best corner.  There are a lot of players that are 30 and still playing at top 15 or above in the league.

Brent Grimes
Jimmy Smith
Jason McCourty
Tramon Williams
Terrance Newman
Jonathan Joseph
Vontae Davis
Aqib Talib
Josh Norman
Richard Sherman

Now either these players are in their 30's playing well or played at at the time the were in the league at 30.  
I just see it as he isn't slowing down and he has just as many years as TRU without all the injuries.

OC, Tim Mazetti and Flying Falcon like this

1 hour ago, federicofalcon2 said:

I don't really see how being 30 makes a difference these days.  Players are playing longer into their 30's and it isn't like his skills are diminishing.  He's going strong and every year is in the convo for OUR best corner.  There are a lot of players that are 30 and still playing at top 15 or above in the league.

Brent Grimes
Jimmy Smith
Jason McCourty
Tramon Williams
Terrance Newman
Jonathan Joseph
Vontae Davis
Aqib Talib
Josh Norman
Richard Sherman

Now either these players are in their 30's playing well or played at at the time the were in the league at 30.  
I just see it as he isn't slowing down and he has just as many years as TRU without all the injuries.

Get some. Well done.

2 hours ago, federicofalcon2 said:

Brent Grimes
Jimmy Smith
Jason McCourty
Tramon Williams
Terrance Newman
Jonathan Joseph
Vontae Davis
Aqib Talib
Josh Norman
Richard Sherman

I haven't really been on the age thing in this thread, but most of that list aren't nearly as good as they used to be, and their current salary reflects that.

4 hours ago, federicofalcon2 said:

Brent Grimes
Jimmy Smith
Jason McCourty
Tramon Williams
Terrance Newman
Jonathan Joseph
Vontae Davis
Aqib Talib
Josh Norman
Richard Sherman

I think the original point of the OP was something like they're not going to be able to re-sign Alford because of Julio.  

My point was Alford is turning 30 this season and his contract is set up so they can cut him with minimal cap hit.  They have his contract set up to cut him and were probably planning on doing that because of Jarrett, Matthews, Deion Jones, Vic Beasley, etc.....  basically regardless of Julio.

If they decide to keep Alford they're not going to pay him a big money deal because corners over 30 don't get those type of deals unless a team is desperate and Alford doesn't have that type of reputation.   When people list the best corners in the league Alford isn't anywhere close to the conversation. 

Josh Norman is 30 and is in the middle of the deal the Skins gave him but I wouldn't be surprised if they cut him next season as his cap hit is over 14 million dollars for the next 3 years.  If he gets re-signed it's going to be for a lower salary.

And again.  The front office set up Alford's contract so they could cut him next season.  They didn't do that with Trufant.

Maybe they keep Alford.  Most likely they cut him but either way the decision has more to do with Grady, Matthews, Beasley, & Jones than it does Julio.  If they keep Alford it isn't going to cost as much as the OP was trying to suggest.

Vandy likes this

Alford is still relatively cheap for his production. I really don’t see the need to cut him at any point. Play out his deal and go from there. There are players I would cut or not resign before getting rid of Rocky.

On 6/24/2018 at 11:17 PM, Tim Mazetti said:

Agree that he is important  to the the D. I want him here. JJ can be traded now for a #1. Or just cut him. And use the cap space.

This is a terrible idea. 

Yeah, Alford isnt close to the danger line yet. In general, you should be looking to the players added to the team in unrestricted free agency to determine who is likely to be cut next. So in our case, thats the tier of players like Crawford/Shelby/Reed/Sanu/LeVitre. Other guys that are close to the end (or should be) include Schaub, Bryant, Bosher. 

The most concerning medium-term situations include Alex Mack and Schraeder. 

11 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I think the original point of the OP was something like they're not going to be able to re-sign Alford because of Julio.  

My point was Alford is turning 30 this season and his contract is set up so they can cut him with minimal cap hit.  They have his contract set up to cut him and were probably planning on doing that because of Jarrett, Matthews, Deion Jones, Vic Beasley, etc.....  basically regardless of Julio.

If they decide to keep Alford they're not going to pay him a big money deal because corners over 30 don't get those type of deals unless a team is desperate and Alford doesn't have that type of reputation.   When people list the best corners in the league Alford isn't anywhere close to the conversation. 

Josh Norman is 30 and is in the middle of the deal the Skins gave him but I wouldn't be surprised if they cut him next season as his cap hit is over 14 million dollars for the next 3 years.  If he gets re-signed it's going to be for a lower salary.

And again.  The front office set up Alford's contract so they could cut him next season.  They didn't do that with Trufant.

Maybe they keep Alford.  Most likely they cut him but either way the decision has more to do with Grady, Matthews, Beasley, & Jones than it does Julio.  If they keep Alford it isn't going to cost as much as the OP was trying to suggest.

Yeah this is reasonable. Cutting Alford next year is a major cap gain of ~$8m. While I think its probable that he stays on through next year, if the FO has to make tough choices and Oliver plays well this year, thats likely going to be a strong possibility. 

15 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Yeah, Alford isnt close to the danger line yet. In general, you should be looking to the players added to the team in unrestricted free agency to determine who is likely to be cut next. So in our case, thats the tier of players like Crawford/Shelby/Reed/Sanu/LeVitre. Other guys that are close to the end (or should be) include Schaub, Bryant, Bosher. 

The most concerning medium-term situations include Alex Mack and Schraeder. 

Completely agree.

Folks keep implying we drafted Ridley to replace Julio.

Ridley was drafted to be sanu’s eventual successor (probably 2020).

If Oliver works out, Alford would play inside when we're in nickel. His salary is still a good value for a top tier nickel back. That's also ignoring that he's still a very good outside cb. In fact, he seems like he is still improving each season and still has the ceiling of a #1cb. 

We need 3 starters at cb, and a legitimate non liability backing them up. Since all 3 starters can play outside(assuming Oliver works out), Poole can back them all up. He would take over nickel back, the remaining 2 would play outside. We have exactly what we need. Other than Trufant, they aren't carrying exorbitant salaries with today's $177 million salary cap. Mack too, at 9 million is no longer an exorbitant salary. The 10th ranked center makes $8.375. 

Beasley is the big ? for me. He will be paid HUGE money, if he isn't at least a double digits sack guy, and playing on more than just 3rd downs, he's the guy who will cost too much for what he contributes. Same could be said for Julio if he misses a lot of games or starts to decline significantly(not saying that will happen).  You just can't pay guys 20mil that aren't balling.

On 6/24/2018 at 8:58 PM, Yo_Lover said:

**** I wish, but like people have said. He's 30. Falcons need to stay young. 

If Terence Newman's old butt can still play CB for the Vikings at 39, Alford can sure stick around past 30.

On 6/26/2018 at 8:01 PM, federicofalcon2 said:

Brent Grimes
Jimmy Smith
Jason McCourty
Tramon Williams
Terrance Newman
Jonathan Joseph
Vontae Davis
Aqib Talib
Josh Norman
Richard Sherman

Nice post and true.  Only issue is that I do think the Falcons FO thought Tru would have a better season and didn’t expect Alf to play as well as he did, Alf was our best CB last season.

I just don’t know where the $ are going to come from to pay the players we need to keep.  Matthews, Beasley, Jones, Grady, and Neal contracts all coming up.  Not to mention Julio wants more $.

At this point in time I think this will be the last season for Alford and Sani with the Falcons.  I like them both and would love to keep them but I don’t see how we can let guys who are younger and talented as well walk.  This team just has too much talent to keep them all.  Then again.... I’m no cap expert so maybe TD can pull some magic.  

Edited by CraigSmackDaddy
Sun Tzu 7 likes this

2 hours ago, Da_Truth said:

If Terence Newman's old butt can still play CB for the Vikings at 39, Alford can sure stick around past 30.

Buddy got eaten alive vs the Eagles. No thanks.

I think Rocky's fate rests with how well Oliver plays.  We cannot pay everyone.  I honestly never thought I would say that as a long suffering Falcons fan.  WE ACTUALLY HAVE TALENT AND QUALITY DEPTH! 

Tim Mazetti likes this