Tim Mazetti

Alford. What Will The Falcons Do?

90 posts in this topic

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

You guys understand Alford is going to be 30 in November, right?

They just drafted his replacement.

Maybe he plays out his contract but it’s doubtful the Falcons resign him to another big deal.

I think so too....

papachaz likes this

I mean TD hinted towards this when he said we was able to pay 2 CBs because we didn't have to pay our LBS (on rookie deals).... I like Alford... I think he is a good CB at a good price to me ...But saying that I dnot think we can throw that much money at a position unless it's at the Pass rush position...

The same thing with Sanu ... Gotta pay your young taleNT but this is also the reason why I don't mind Julio trynna get what he thinks he deserve ... This team is close like family but it's still a busines

18 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

You guys understand Alford is going to be 30 in November, right?

They just drafted his replacement.

Maybe he plays out his contract but it’s doubtful the Falcons resign him to another big deal.

Drafted his replacement a year after giving him a nice extension? C'mon. They drafted Collins replacement

Just now, Dem Birds said:

Drafted his replacement a year after giving him a nice extension? C'mon. They drafted Collins replacement

Nice. Sounds reasonable. Well stroked.

53 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

Actually yeah.

The guaranteed money is paid out after this year and cutting him/trading him next year frees up 8.5 million and only creates 1.5 million in dead money.  Can’t say the same for Trufant.

They may not cut/trade him but it’s certainly set up so they can next year.

So yes.  It seems like they drafted his replacement.

My guess is they’re planning to devote more cap space to the front 7 and Neal.

JD dirtybird21 likes this

56 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

No they drafted Alford's replacement. Collins was Alford's replacement. Do you even realize how much cap they save by cutting him?

30 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Take from me little bro...30’s not old. :ninja:

yeah, double that and add a couple....have trouble getting up from a chair or out of bed in the morning. THEN you start getting into that 'old' territory'

ok I know I know, he was referring to 'football age'  ;)

38 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

No they drafted Alford's replacement. Collins was Alford's replacement. Do you even realize how much cap they save by cutting him?

So they gave Alford the extension while his replacement was still on the team and playing well? Yeah I'm not seeing how that makes sense. They would save cap by cutting a lot of players, it doesn't mean they are going to. He won't get another deal but they aren't cutting him anytime soon. Oliver will play outside on third down and Alford will go into the slot, which some people would argue is the harder position to play because you don't have the sideline to help you. 

Tim Mazetti likes this

7 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

So they gave Alford the extension while his replacement was still on the team and playing well? Yeah I'm not seeing how that makes sense. They would save cap by cutting a lot of players, it doesn't mean they are going to. He won't get another deal but they aren't cutting him anytime soon. Oliver will play outside on third down and Alford will go into the slot, which some people would argue is the harder position to play because you don't have the sideline to help you. 

..replacement doesn't mean immediate...Alford is not getting another big deal...and if Oliver pans out...he will definitely slide into Alfords spot...and I do think they had the same idea for Collins...they cant pay everyone...its getting close to have to start recycling players...

19 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

Alford is gone after this year. Bank on it. At best he'll be gone after next. 

JD dirtybird21 likes this

38 minutes ago, papachaz said:

yeah, double that and add a couple....have trouble getting up from a chair or out of bed in the morning. THEN you start getting into that 'old' territory'

ok I know I know, he was referring to 'football age'  ;)

I need no alarm. By back is the red alert to get your old as$ up and moving.

papachaz likes this

1 hour ago, Yo_Lover said:

Alford is gone after this year. Bank on it. At best he'll be gone after next. 

Dude is the only threat in our secondary to make a play on the ball and you think he's gone when Poole, Wreh-Wilson and others' contract runs up. It isn't like we have people waiting in the wings to replace dude. If anything, Tru would be the surprising cut. Reports are already out about Q pressing him to make plays.

People said the same stuff when we thought we wouldn't resign Alford.

9 minutes ago, stizz said:

Dude is the only threat in our secondary to make a play on the ball and you think he's gone when Poole, Wreh-Wilson and others' contract runs up. It isn't like we have people waiting in the wings to replace dude. If anything, Tru would be the surprising cut. Reports are already out about Q pressing him to make plays.

People said the same stuff when we thought we wouldn't resign Alford.

Agree that he is important  to the the D. I want him here. JJ can be traded now for a #1. Or just cut him. And use the cap space.