WOR

Post Draft Offseason

242 posts in this topic

I expect to get a good amount of summer league news today to kick our post draft offseason off.  Summer league in like a week in a half. Free agency right around the corner. 

44 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Only real Hawks news I would expect is a Dennis trade

It's unfortunate that while Schroeder is a good player at a good age on a good contract, this is a great time for point guards and not many teams have a need (Any team could just as easily trade for Kemba Walker) so we're most likely dumping him for a worse player or combination of players just to get rid of him. 

Hard to believe that a PG arguably in the 10-12 range in ability who is 24yrs old on a good contract cannot be traded.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Hard to believe that a PG arguably in the 10-12 range in ability who is 24yrs old on a good contract cannot be traded.

This is what happens when word gets around the league about attitudes. His pending legal issue doesn't help his cause. His talk about wanting a trade (though I think overblown) gives team the impression Hawks eoukd dump him for cheap. There are only a few teams in need of a starting PG - Phoenix and Orlando. If Dennis goes to another team as a backup that's a very expensive backup. With teams in a salary cap crunch Dennis' deal looms large. That's the issue.

This is where the Hawks stand:

"Dennis was pissed about being offered in trade at the deadline, said in Germany while on vacation he doesn't want to be on a last place team in his prime, not trying to win games (I don't blame him for that one bit). He wanted to have a discussion regarding the team direction. We know he met with management,  per Cunningham of AJC and he hasn't directly expressed any interest in being moved to ownership. We know that Schlenk reached out to him after selecting Trae"

So it remains to be seen where it all ends up.

blkbigdog35 and Drew4719 like this

1 hour ago, jayu70 said:

This is what happens when word gets around the league about attitudes. His pending legal issue doesn't help his cause. His talk about wanting a trade (though I think overblown) gives team the impression Hawks eoukd dump him for cheap. There are only a few teams in need of a starting PG - Phoenix and Orlando. If Dennis goes to another team as a backup that's a very expensive backup. With teams in a salary cap crunch Dennis' deal looms large. That's the issue.

This is where the Hawks stand:

"Dennis was pissed about being offered in trade at the deadline, said in Germany while on vacation he doesn't want to be on a last place team in his prime, not trying to win games (I don't blame him for that one bit). He wanted to have a discussion regarding the team direction. We know he met with management,  per Cunningham of AJC and he hasn't directly expressed any interest in being moved to ownership. We know that Schlenk reached out to him after selecting Trae"

So it remains to be seen where it all ends up.

If we have to buyout his contract I wonder if there is a “claw back” provision?

Don’t really wanna pay Schröder $30-45mm for nothing 

22 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

If we have to buyout his contract I wonder if there is a “claw back” provision?

Don’t really wanna pay Schröder $30-45mm for nothing 

Buyout still counts against the cap and that's not good use of financial flexibility. It's just dead money sitting on yr sheet you can't do anything with for the next 3 years.

They can buy him out and use the stretch provision to reduce the cap hit but again that money will count against the cap, dead useless money. We'd be stuck paying him $6.6 mil for the next 7 years.  I'll pass on doing that.

blkbigdog35 likes this

In other news - Mike Muscala will be back, opts in.

This is our current roster:

PG: Dennis Schröder, Trae Young
SG: Kent Bazemore, Tyler Dorsey, Kevin Huerter
SF: Taurean Prince, DeAndre Bembry
PF: John Collins, Omari Spellman
C: Dwayne Dedmon, Mike Muscala, Miles Plumlee

12 Players with fully guaranteed contracts.

Others TBD: 
IsaiahTaylor, Antonius Cleveland, Jalen Morris, Damion Lee

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

It’s not his talent but the other stuff is hurting him bad.  He definitely needs some better people in his circle.

FalconKick likes this

53 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

In other news - Mike Muscala will be back, opts in.

This is our current roster:

PG: Dennis Schröder, Trae Young
SG: Kent Bazemore, Tyler Dorsey, Kevin Huerter
SF: Taurean Prince, DeAndre Bembry
PF: John Collins, Omari Spellman
C: Dwayne Dedmon, Mike Muscala, Miles Plumlee

12 Players with fully guaranteed contracts.

Others TBD: 
IsaiahTaylor, Antonius Cleveland, Jalen Morris, Damion Lee

We still need that backup 3 to Prince.  Bembry has proven to be disappointing on and off the court.  I’m hoping someone steps up in summer league ball.

Posted (edited)

31 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Plumlee and Bazemore getting paid like great players, smfh :shrug:

Great players are getting paid $30+ million though.

But they are still overpayed.

Edited by jayu70
blkbigdog35 and Slappywhite like this

19 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

Great players are getting paid $30+ million though.

But they are still overpayed.

True my bad should have said good.  Looks like we are stuck with them for this season and next. Or could they be waived after this season?

43 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

True my bad should have said good.  Looks like we are stuck with them for this season and next. Or could they be waived after this season?

They'll still remain on the cap as dead money so it doesn't make sense to do that.

If we are unable to trade either, they'll be valuable expiring contracts next offseason to use in a trade.

Slappywhite and blkbigdog35 like this

25 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

They'll still remain on the cap as dead money so it doesn't make sense to do that.

If we are unable to trade either, they'll be valuable expiring contracts next offseason to use in a trade.

Okay that makes sense.  You are the man on the cap stuff! :tiphat:

jayu70 likes this