Tim Mazetti

CR18 Just Might Be A Beast

80 posts in this topic

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. – Today’s Early Bird Report includes some recent comments about Falcons rookie receiver Calvin Ridley as well as Adam Vinatieri’s thoughts on retirement.

Enjoy!

MAIN FALCONS HEADLINES

ESPN: Falcons rookie Calvin Ridley has veteran presence about him

Although the Falcons have yet to even begin training camp, rookie wide receiver Calvin Ridley has already gained the attention and respect of some of his new teammates.

On the field, Ridley’s speed and precise route-running were apparent in OTAs and minicamp. Off the field, his humility and desire to learn from those around him have stuck with Falcons players. Speaking with ESPN’s Vaughn McClure, a number of Falcons players praised the team’s first-round draft pick.

"One thing me and the veteran DBs already talked about and one of the things I'm already excited to see is him in Year 4 and Year 5," Falcons safety Ricardo Allen told McClure. "I know that's kind of jumping ahead early, but because he's such a disciplined route runner and because he already kind of moves like a veteran, I just want to see when he becomes a veteran how much better a player he's going to be.

"He's the real deal. And he's a good person. He's not walking around like he thinks he's hot s---. He's walking around like a really good dude."

Ridley was considered by some to be the top receiver prospect in this year’s draft class, and he was consistently among the best college receivers during his three years at Alabama. With the Crimson Tide, Ridley caught 224 passes for 2,781 yards and 19 touchdowns.

2 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. – Today’s Early Bird Report includes some recent comments about Falcons rookie receiver Calvin Ridley as well as Adam Vinatieri’s thoughts on retirement.

Enjoy!

MAIN FALCONS HEADLINES

ESPN: Falcons rookie Calvin Ridley has veteran presence about him

Although the Falcons have yet to even begin training camp, rookie wide receiver Calvin Ridley has already gained the attention and respect of some of his new teammates.

On the field, Ridley’s speed and precise route-running were apparent in OTAs and minicamp. Off the field, his humility and desire to learn from those around him have stuck with Falcons players. Speaking with ESPN’s Vaughn McClure, a number of Falcons players praised the team’s first-round draft pick.

"One thing me and the veteran DBs already talked about and one of the things I'm already excited to see is him in Year 4 and Year 5," Falcons safety Ricardo Allen told McClure. "I know that's kind of jumping ahead early, but because he's such a disciplined route runner and because he already kind of moves like a veteran, I just want to see when he becomes a veteran how much better a player he's going to be.

"He's the real deal. And he's a good person. He's not walking around like he thinks he's hot s---. He's walking around like a really good dude."

Ridley was considered by some to be the top receiver prospect in this year’s draft class, and he was consistently among the best college receivers during his three years at Alabama. With the Crimson Tide, Ridley caught 224 passes for 2,781 yards and 19 touchdowns.

I don't think he'll ever be a "Julio Jones" type, I mean, not very many are ---- but I can see him being a VERY productive player for us!  As far as the beast part goes, I'll have to reserve that determination for a later date...

Tim Mazetti likes this

2 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

If Ridley doesn't make our offense dynamic, all **** will break loose. 

He will, he's a perfect WR for Ryan to work with. he'll run a precise route, make a cut at the top of the route, and the ball will be waiting for him. If Saubert has developed like people are claiming, you have a 3 wide 1 TE 1 RB set that you just can't stop. And a 2RB set you can stop, and a 2 TE set you just can't stop and a 4 WR set you just can't stop and a, well, you get the point. If Fusco or Wes gives them stability along the Oline, going to be a fun year.

Haven't even gotten to the defense yet- Falcons look to have their bookend pass rushers for the first time in , what, a decade? Oliver may do for the secondary what Ridley does for the receiving corp- take it over the top.

If you've got a team scoring 28 points a game and allowing 15 points a game, you're going to win some games.

5 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

That's what you get from Bama players.

Tim Mazetti and CrimsonFalcon like this

13 hours ago, FalconJim said:

I don't think he'll ever be a "Julio Jones" type, I mean, not very many are ---- but I can see him being a VERY productive player for us!  As far as the beast part goes, I'll have to reserve that determination for a later date...

Agree, bro. He doesn't have the body, speed and talent Julio has and never will, but this guy can play and his ability stands out from the first moment even a layman watches him run a route and catch a football. He's going to be a main-stay on this offense, and yet one more potent arrow in our quiver.

So many bright lights and emerging stars on this roster you have to feel like this team could flat out overwhelm the rest of the NFC ~ if the situation with Julio is resolved amicably and they get off to a decent start. That buzz saw the Packers ran into in the play-offs might be ready to put in more work.

13 hours ago, FalconJim said:

Julio is a physical freak of nature. Of course Ridley won’t be like him. But, somebody I think Ridley could actually end up being like if he puts in the work, Antonio Brown

3 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Julio is a physical freak of nature. Of course Ridley won’t be like him. But, somebody I think Ridley could actually end up being like if he puts in the work, Antonio Brown

My exact thoughts.  An Antonio Brown clone with Julio on the other side...scary!

19 hours ago, octoslash said:

And Ridley played at a not-exactly pass-happy school, with a not-exactly world-beating bunch of passers. 

Okay, I'm out of hyphens.  Somebody pass me some hyphens. 

You only carry three? Rookie move. 

Tim Mazetti likes this

On 6/21/2018 at 11:06 AM, JD dirtybird21 said:

Man, that would be crazy if Ridley ends up anywhere close to AB or Marvin Harrison. It could happen.