g-dawg

NBA Draft DAY is HERE!!! - Rumors and Buzz

693 posts in this topic

Just now, WOR said:

Lukas been around for a while. And it's not a coincidence. It came about at the same time that people started realizing the kings were dumb enough to pass on him lol. 

The floating rumors thing works both ways. 

No, i perfectly understand that Luka has been thought to be a "Top Two" pick for the longest time - there just had not been that many links that I recall that Hawks showed a lot of interest in him.   Maybe because it was assumed he was going "top two"?  dunno.

However, I don't recall a lot of linkage to Hawks/Doncic over the last month - maybe I am missing something?

6 minutes ago, WOR said:

I honestly don't really believe this. They can't even take Bazes deal. They'd have to send us salary back..... So....why would we do that. 

The fact that #4 is almost a foregone conclusion for a trade at this point tells me that Memphis thinks Doncic is gone by then. So, this deal is the one that makes the most sense from the outside. For me, it's infuriating that the Hawks would take a kid at #5 who might be there at #11, especially when we pick #19 and have more draft capital.

To a larger point, I would rather have Doncic than Young, and it's not that close.

So, all the stories about the Hawks driving the draft at #3 don't mean much if we're going to do that little with it.

Just now, g-dawg said:

No, i perfectly understand that Luka has been thought to be a "Top Two" pick for the longest time - there just had not been that many links that I recall that Hawks showed a lot of interest in him.   Maybe because it was assumed he was going "top two"?  dunno.

However, I don't recall a lot of linkage to Hawks/Doncic over the last month - maybe I am missing something?

Yes that's my point. Like the Hawks have zero interest in ayton. 

My point is this. I'm listening to Woj 8 days a week over Zach Klein. Woj is the best in the business. This is his entire livelihood. Zach Klein can be wrong and move right along. Which of those guys do you think it's easier to throw fake rumors at lol. 

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I don't really believe it, but found it and put it out there - hopefully.   Would love to be able to get JJJ or Bamba and then come back and trade up for Trae Young - I like Young but don't want him to be our 1st pick.

That's exactly where I am with this. He's not the guy you reach for at #5. Take one of the bigs there and deal back up or deal down twice before drafting him. We want two viable lottery players. And I reiterate that a really good draft for us is Doncic plus Young if we can find a way to make that happen.

jeffro2000 and g-dawg like this

1 minute ago, WOR said:

My point is this. I'm listening to Woj 8 days a week over Zach Klein. Woj is the best in the business. This is his entire livelihood. Zach Klein can be wrong and move right along. Which of those guys do you think it's easier to throw fake rumors at lol. 

No I get it.....I know WOJ is the gold standard.   All I am saying is sometimes teams that want to trade, feed this misdirection to someone like WOJ on purpose.  I am sure WOJ likes to snuff out that stuff.

Regardless, whoever Hawks get - just hope they blossom to a really good to great play in the ATL.

Just now, jidady said:

The fact that #4 is almost a foregone conclusion for a trade at this point tells me that Memphis thinks Doncic is gone by then. So, this deal is the one that makes the most sense from the outside. For me, it's infuriating that the Hawks would take a kid at #5 who might be there at #11, especially when we pick #19 and have more draft capital.

To a larger point, I would rather have Doncic than Young, and it's not that close.

So, all the stories about the Hawks driving the draft at #3 don't mean much if we're going to do that little with it.

@g-dawg as well.

IF the Hawks really are **** bent on trading down, I really don't see a world where Zach Kleins tweet is accurate. Dumping Baze just cause makes no sense. 

If anything THIS feels like the "Hey guys we've got a dealllll, can you beat it" rumor floating. Which seems right in a guy like Kleins wheelhouse. 

g-dawg likes this

2 minutes ago, WOR said:

Woj and Shams are the two guys to trust in the NBA. Givony at Draft Express is also good, but he's big on rumors for clicks.

g-dawg likes this

31 minutes ago, WOR said:

One thing Id like to point out that I'm sensing.... 

Doncic isn't the end of the rebuild. 

I'm feeling a lot that fans want to get the "it" guy and be one FA away from skyrocketing into contention. That guy's not in this draft. 

Doncic is as good of a piece as you could realistically hope for in a draft that doesnt have KD/Lebron. Take another guy next year. Maybe sign a free agent. 

People seem to focus too much around Doncic on THIS hawks team. I see too much "but we have to get a superstar" over thinking. 

Whoever thought that was far from being realistic. With that being said, if there was a way to snag both Doncic and Young in this draft, that would significantly expedite the process to being a legit title contender I think.

5 minutes ago, WOR said:

@g-dawg as well.

IF the Hawks really are **** bent on trading down, I really don't see a world where Zach Kleins tweet is accurate. Dumping Baze just cause makes no sense. 

If anything THIS feels like the "Hey guys we've got a dealllll, can you beat it" rumor floating. Which seems right in a guy like Kleins wheelhouse. 

What Klein suggests the Hawks will do is the obvious thing bordering on the telegraphed play. I've been watching the NBA draft basically the entire internet era, and NBADraft.net has been a reliable source most of the time. When they say a guy is slipping, I believe them. It sounds like the Hawks would be bidding against themselves on Young.

g-dawg likes this

1 minute ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Whoever thought that was far from being realistic. With that being said, if there was a way to snag both Doncic and Young in this draft, that would significantly expedite the process to being a legit title contender I think.

I don't know if it makes us a playoff team over the next couple of years, but that team would be fun to watch. When a group of down, fans at least want them to be exciting. That backcourt would be dazzling.

This was my point a minute ago. 

Like that mavs deal is bad. You swap a decent young player for an injured old player just to lose one year of contract? And get a pick that very well could be late lottery.... Or later? Nah. 

Now the magic.... That makes sense. Dennis needs to go and they're gonna suck again

4 minutes ago, jidady said:

That's exactly where I am with this. He's not the guy you reach for at #5. Take one of the bigs there and deal back up or deal down twice before drafting him. We want two viable lottery players. And I reiterate that a really good draft for us is Doncic plus Young if we can find a way to make that happen.

That is basically my thoughts. I want Doncic, but if they don't, then trade back, take a big and then try to fight back up for Young.

Going down to 5 for Young is blah to me.

Just wait and see and hopefully they make the right choice whatever that is.

jayu70, g-dawg and jidady like this

55 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Lol, you're acting like Curry and Klay were can't miss draft picks. There were a lot of questions about Curry's size, durability and defense coming (same as Trae Young) and Klay was a fringe lottery pick. Draymond Green was drafted in the 2nd round. 

Even after they assembled that core, it took hiring Steve Kerr to make the most of it.

The NBA is more of a crapshoot than the NFL. There's very few can't miss prospects that you know will excel at the next level (e.g. LeBron James and Kevin Durant), and many other good players require the right coach/system for them to really succeed at a high level.

It worked out for them, did it not?

1 minute ago, jidady said:

What Klein suggests the Hawks will do is the obvious thing bordered on the telegraphed play. I've been watching the NBA draft basically the entire internet era, and NBADraft.net has been a reliable source most of the time. When they say a guy is slipping, I believe them. It sounds like the Hawks would be bidding against themselves on Young.

agreed.  My guess is if Hawks don't take him in lottery,  the first chance for Trae Young to come off board would be Orlando(#6), Cleveland(#8) or Knicks(#9).   Of course one of those three teams will likely take Michael Porter, Jr. - it is not a given that Young will be the first PG taken either as some scouts like Sexton or Gilgeous-Alexander - personally I think Trae Young is better than both.  Wendell Carter is going somewhere in there as well.      If Hawks want TY, they need to pick someone safer first at #3 or #5, and then start making moves up the board to take TY.

Summerhill, jayu70 and jidady like this

3 minutes ago, Nereek said:

It worked out for them, did it not?

yeah it did.....and GSW had to have the balls to draft Steph Curry where they did - and it took him awhile to adjust to the NBA and injuries..

You act like the superstars have to happen first - you have to draft and develop them.  #noshortcuts

No.11 likes this

Just now, g-dawg said:

agreed.  My guess is if Hawks don't take him in lottery,  the first chance for Trae Young to come off board would be Orlando(#6), Cleveland(#8) or Knicks(#9).   Of course one of those three teams will likely take Michael Porter, Jr. - it is not a given that Young will be the first PG taken either as some scouts like Sexton or Gilgeous-Alexander - personally I think Trae Young is better than both.  Wendell Carter is going somewhere in there as well.      If Hawks want TY, they need to pick someone safer first at #3 or #5, and then start making moves up the board to take TY.

Heh, yeah. It looks like we have a rare message board consensus on this one. Let's hope the front office sees it the same way.

g-dawg likes this

5 minutes ago, jidady said:

Heh, yeah. It looks like we have a rare message board consensus on this one. Let's hope the front office sees it the same way.

if say Schlenk/GM trades down and takes Bamba/JJJ at #3(stay) or #5(trade down) - and one of those guys pans out for Hawks and then trades up for Trae Young (and he busts) - no harm/no foul.    However, if we take TY first at #3 or #5 - then he busts, now Schlenk is brushing up his resume' - especially if Doncic becomes special.

jidady likes this

Just now, g-dawg said:

if say Schlenk/GM trades down and takes Bamba/JJJ at #3(stay) or #5(trade down) - and one of those guys pans out for Hawks and then trades up for Trae Young (and he busts) - no harm/no foul.    However, if we take TY first at #3 or #5 - then he busts, now Schlenk is brushing up his resume'.

I completely agree. He's starting with a rare amount of draft capital. He can't get locked into a guy and miss immediately. And I'll say again that Wendell Carter is a guy who would be good for us, too. It's not a coincidence that Duke didn't miss a beat without Bagley. So, a deal down to five would still give us a choice of at least two quality bigs along with plenty of time to get back up for Young, if he really does slide.

jeffro2000 likes this

Im still stuck on the Baze/Matthew's swap. That just makes no sense whatsoever. The Hawks don't need that year of money unless they want a free agent next year. Which....why.

Otherwise....if you REALLY want to trade down with the mavs, just take out the salary swap and turn that into an extra pick. 

jayu70 likes this

2 minutes ago, WOR said:

This is going to go so terribly. 

Please God let it be so that the clippers actually want Dennis and aren't going to make us pay 19 AND more to get rid of him. 

G-Dawg: - someone please help me understand this?  Tony Ressler hand-picks Travis Schlenk to be his GM - would suspect it is because he thought he was smart and liked GSW organization.  Whether you are a Luka fan or not, it wouldn't bode well for the franchise in the longrun if the owner is interjecting himself in draft/free agency situations much.  Is this Jonathan Givony guy reputable who is making this assertion?  What is described by Givony below would be a dysfunctional organization in my view.

NBA Mock Draft 2018: Luka Doncic lands with Atlanta Hawks as ‘favorite of ownership’

An interesting tidbit.

By Brad Rowland@BTRowland  Jun 21, 2018, 8:51am EDT

494600456.jpg.0.jpgPhoto by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

With hours until the 2018 NBA Draft finally begins, anything can happen and that is especially applies to the Atlanta Hawks. The team has been linked to a number of candidates for the No. 3 overall pick and, beyond that, trade winds are blowing at this stage in the process.

However, Jonathan Givony of ESPN released an updated mock draft on Thursday morning and Luka Doncic is (still) the pick at No. 3 overall. There is a very interesting tidbit of information, though, when it comes to the decision-making process.

Jaren Jackson Jr. was once viewed as a lock at No. 3, but there was a strong push within the organization to consider other alternatives here as well -- specifically the star power of Luka Doncic, who sources say is a favorite of ownership. Trading down and selecting Trae Young may end up being a compromise.

Givony notes that Doncic “is a favorite of ownership” and that could be the biggest impetus for his selection. As someone who ranks Doncic as the top player available, the result here is easy to endorse. If true (and that is a big if), however, it could be troublesome in the same breath.

In short, controlling owner Tony Ressler gave the keys to Travis Schlenk to engineer Atlanta’s rebuild and it is the best course of action for ownership to cede basketball decision-making power to the general manager. With matters that have huge financial ramifications in the immediate time frame (trades, free agent signings, etc.), ownership approval is obviously needed. A draft pick, however, is paid the same amount regardless and buzz like this won’t necessarily be kind to the “meddling owner” label some have attributed locally in the wake of comments (remember Paul Millsap?) over the last two years.

Luka Doncic might be the right pick, Jaren Jackson Jr. would look good in a Hawks uniform, Marvin Bagley and Mo Bamba have incredible appeal, and even Trae Young has the talent to make any front office appear intelligent if everything comes together. It would probably be wise to allow the front office to pull the trigger, though, and they should do so by selecting the best player available, removing thoughts of marketability, “buzz” or other factors.

Stay tuned.

God help us if Schlenk wants to draft JJJ, Ressler wants Doncic - and they compromise and take Trae Young.  Nothing good could come out of that much dysfunction.