g-dawg

NBA Draft DAY is HERE!!! - Rumors and Buzz

682 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Just watched the end of ESPN coverage tonight on NBA Draft.  The black guy(Paul Pierce?) bold prediction was Hawks take Trae Young at #3.

@WOR it’s time my friend.  Time for acceptance in the stages of grief.

Hawks are taking Trae Young.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:lol:

jayu70 likes this

It's going to be Bagley or Luka.  If Kings go Luka then the Hawks have to go Bagley.  These two can score the basketball and would be instant stars.

14 hours ago, jayu70 said:

If we use the #3 pick to unload Baze or Dennis, I will be royally pissed. That makes absolutely no sense. Don't devalue the #3 pick by, get a real asset back if we a trading down. 

We are still in asset collection mode.

I completely agree. I don't want the Hawks to be in a position of missing out on a great player and ending up with a lousy player because they were trying to shed salary when they were nowhere near the cap. If the Hawks genuinely think some lower rated player is better, trade down, and still make a bad decision, fine, but don't do it because of money. 

jayu70 likes this

1 hour ago, blkbigdog35 said:

It's going to be Bagley or Luka.  If Kings go Luka then the Hawks have to go Bagley.  These two can score the basketball and would be instant stars.

I like that line of thinking. 

10 hours ago, tactician said:

Not at 3 we aren't. 

Same situation as Keanu Neal - Falcons wanted to trade down a few spots and take him.

Hawks definitely would like to trade out of #3 and still get Trae Young, but if they cannot or don’t feel safe doing it, they very well might take him at #3.

55 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Same situation as Keanu Neal - Falcons wanted to trade down a few spots and take him.

Hawks definitely would like to trade out of #3 and still get Trae Young, but if they cannot or don’t feel safe doing it, they very well might take him at #3.

Or hawks can trade back up to the top 10 and take him... #19, #30, Dennis and Dedmon.

7 minutes ago, Nereek said:

Or hawks can trade back up to the top 10 and take him... #19, #30, Dennis and Dedmon.

Don’t think so.   I believe Trae Young goes in top 7 - probably top 6.

From everything I am reading right now, no one wants Schroeder.  Deadmon gets you nothing and 19/30 might get you up to about 14/15 but no higher than that.

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

From everything I am reading right now, no one wants Schroeder.  Deadmon gets you nothing and 19/30 might get you up to about 14/15 but no higher than that.

Agreed and I think me and you have more value then Dennis right now, :lol:

g-dawg likes this

Peachtree Hoops wrote article today making it sound like ownership may have influence on who is selected and that ownership likes Doncic, GM likes JJJ and trade down and Young might be a compromise.

Hope there is no truth to this.  Schlenk needs to be able to put his team together unfettered.

14 minutes ago, WOR said:

I need this in my life 

Time to start focusing on what the HAWKS will do.   Don’t see any scenario where we end up with Mikael Bridges.

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Time to start focusing on what the HAWKS will do.   Don’t see any scenario where we end up with Mikael Bridges.

Nobody said young was the only guy they'd trade back up for lol. 

16 minutes ago, WOR said:

Nobody said young was the only guy they'd trade back up for lol. 

Did we work him out?

I don’t see how Hawks have the ammo to get back into the top 10 for anyone.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

The nba draft is sh!t compared to the nfl draft, that's for sure.

19 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Did we work him out?

I don’t see how Hawks have the ammo to get back into the top 10 for anyone.

No idea. They do have a potential after 10 lottery pick from the cavs next year. Koonin did say several times that people will be surprised how aggressive theyll be. 

I don't think we know Jack **** about what's going to happen tonight, so nothings off limits 

26 minutes ago, Nereek said:

The nba draft is sh!t compared to the nfl draft, that's for sure.

yes, very hard to move up significantly - that is because there are only 5 starting players  or players period on the floor at one time and most teams are lucky to have 1 star player much less 2 or 3.

14 minutes ago, WOR said:

No idea. They do have a potential after 10 lottery pick from the cavs next year. Koonin did say several times that people will be surprised how aggressive theyll be. 

I don't think we know Jack **** about what's going to happen tonight, so nothings off limits 

of course none of us know for sure - I love it!!!!!  - way different than Billy Knight days when EVERYONE knew what the Hawks would do - LOL.

Makes the draft so much more fun when you have no idea.   I enjoyed the Falcons draft for similiar reasons - surprising but good/solid picks.  Braves are kind of boring as you know they will take a flame throwing high school pitcher every year in 1st round.

more from SI.com today hour-by-hour on the draft buzz/rumor mill

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/21/draft-rumors-news-updates-reports-Memphis-Grizzlies

By JENNA WEST 

June 21, 2018

Draft day is here, and teams will gather Thursday night at the Barclays Center to determine the future of 60 NBA hopefuls.

After months of speculation, rumors and buildup, teams will finally make their picks.

The Suns have the No. 1 pick for the first time in franchise history.Sports Illustrated's Jeremy Woo says in his latest mock draft that teams are looking to trade picks up and down, but the Suns seem set on taking Deandre Ayton first overall.

There is less certainty that the Kings will draft Marvin Bagley at No. 2. (Jeremy Woo, Sports Illustrated)

Some teams think the Kings find Luka Doncic hard to resist and are still keeping an eye on Michael Porter Jr. as well. (Marc Stein, The New York Times)

Porter signed a multi-year shoe deal with Puma, joining Deandre Ayton, Marvin Bagley and Zhaire Smith to rep the brand. (Nick DePaula, ESPN)

Get a full breakdown on all the rumors and reports as we get closer to the draft day.

NEWS AND RUMORS

12 P.M.

The Kings are focusing on Doncic and Bagley now but ownership has yet to fully weigh in. If they take Bagley, a number of teams will look to trade with the Hawks for the No. 3 spot to select Doncic. (Chris Mannix, Yahoo Sports)

• The Suns are targeting UCLA's Aaron Holiday with their No. 16 pick. Ayton would reportedly like to play with Holiday. (Chris Mannix, Yahoo Sports) Holiday is predicted to be selected by the Suns with the 16th pick in Woo's mock draft.

• Assuming the Suns take Ayton at No. 1, the Kings reportedly have also chosen who they will pick at No. 2. Sacramento feels "confident" that they will add "a franchise altering prospect." (Marc Spears, ESPN)

• The Grizzlies are looking to possibly move down in the draft if they could strike a deal. Memphis is interested in Duke big man Wendell Carter Jr. (Jonathan Givnoy, ESPN)

An unnamed team said teams don't know what each other is doing in the draft tonight. They called it the "craziest draft in years, as far as things so up in the air." (Keith Smith, NBA Front Office Show)

11 A.M.

The Celtics are interested in trading up to a top-four spot in order to acquire Doncic, Mo Bamba or Jaren Jackson. Point guard Terry Rozier could potentially be available to trade. Boston has the No. 27 pick. (Jared Weiss, The Athletic)

• Western Kentucky's Mitchell Robinson reportedly has a sprained left ankle, which is limiting his shooting. He is expected to be back at full strength soon. (Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN) Robinson is predicted to go to the 76ers with the No. 38 pick in Woo's mock draft.

• The Heat are looking to possibly acquire a first-round pick. They don't own a draft pick at the moment. (Jeremy Woo, Sports Illustrated)

10 A.M.

• The Warriors are looking at buying in for a pick in the 30s and can offer the max $5.1 million. They have the No. 28 pick. (Jeremy Woo, Sports Illustrated)

• The Lakers acquired the 39th pick in the draft from the 76ers. Los Angeles will send its 2019 second round pick via the Bulls and cash. (Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN

• The Grizzlies and Mavericks have had discussions about a deal that would send Memphis' fourth overall pick to Dallas. As part of the deal, the Mavs would onload Chandler Parson's salary—he has two years and $49 million left on his deal but has appeared in just 70 games in two years in Memphis, averaging around seven points. (Mike Fisher, 247 Sports)

• The Grizzlies expect interest in their No. 4 pick to intensify, especially once they go on the clock at the draft shortly before 8 p.m. Other teams joining the Mavericks on that potential trade list include the Bulls, Knicks, Celtics, Nuggets, Magic and Clippers. (Jonathan Givony, ESPN)

• The Knicks are thought to covet Villanova junior Mikal Bridges with the ninth overall pick, even if Michael Porter Jr. falls and is available at that selection. (Marc Berman, New York Post)

• The Knicks met in person with Texas' Mo Bamba, an indication that New York could be considering trading up to select the big man. The pick they're targeting is Memphis at No. 4. (Ian Begley, ESPN)

The Hawks own three first-round picks (Nos. 3, 19 and 30) and have thus been engaged in trade discussions. One name that's come up in those talks: Dennis Schroeder. (Jeremy Woo, Sports Illustrated)

• The Charlotte Hornets traded Dwight Howard to the nets in exchange for Timofey Mozgov and the 45th pick. By unloading Mozgov's deal, Brooklyn will save $17 million for the 2019-20 season, which will free up two max contract slots. (Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN)

• Robert Williams, formerly of Texas A&M, has had multiple meetings with the Los Angeles Clippers. L.A. is considering drafting him with either the 12th or 13th pick. (Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN)

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:
By JENNA WEST 
June 21, 2018

Draft day is here, and teams will gather Thursday night at the Barclays Center to determine the future of 60 NBA hopefuls.

After months of speculation, rumors and buildup, teams will finally make their picks.

The Suns have the No. 1 pick for the first time in franchise history.Sports Illustrated's Jeremy Woo says in his latest mock draft that teams are looking to trade picks up and down, but the Suns seem set on taking Deandre Ayton first overall.

There is less certainty that the Kings will draft Marvin Bagley at No. 2. (Jeremy Woo, Sports Illustrated)

Some teams think the Kings find Luka Doncic hard to resist and are still keeping an eye on Michael Porter Jr. as well. (Marc Stein, The New York Times)

Porter signed a multi-year shoe deal with Puma, joining Deandre Ayton, Marvin Bagley and Zhaire Smith to rep the brand. (Nick DePaula, ESPN)

Get a full breakdown on all the rumors and reports as we get closer to the draft day.

NEWS AND RUMORS

12 P.M.

The Kings are focusing on Doncic and Bagley now but ownership has yet to fully weigh in. If they take Bagley, a number of teams will look to trade with the Hawks for the No. 3 spot to select Doncic. (Chris Mannix, Yahoo Sports)

• The Suns are targeting UCLA's Aaron Holiday with their No. 16 pick. Ayton would reportedly like to play with Holiday. (Chris Mannix, Yahoo Sports) Holiday is predicted to be selected by the Suns with the 16th pick in Woo's mock draft.

• Assuming the Suns take Ayton at No. 1, the Kings reportedly have also chosen who they will pick at No. 2. Sacramento feels "confident" that they will add "a franchise altering prospect." (Marc Spears, ESPN)

• The Grizzlies are looking to possibly move down in the draft if they could strike a deal. Memphis is interested in Duke big man Wendell Carter Jr. (Jonathan Givnoy, ESPN)

An unnamed team said teams don't know what each other is doing in the draft tonight. They called it the "craziest draft in years, as far as things so up in the air." (Keith Smith, NBA Front Office Show)

11 A.M.

The Celtics are interested in trading up to a top-four spot in order to acquire Doncic, Mo Bamba or Jaren Jackson. Point guard Terry Rozier could potentially be available to trade. Boston has the No. 27 pick. (Jared Weiss, The Athletic)

• Western Kentucky's Mitchell Robinson reportedly has a sprained left ankle, which is limiting his shooting. He is expected to be back at full strength soon. (Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN) Robinson is predicted to go to the 76ers with the No. 38 pick in Woo's mock draft.

• The Heat are looking to possibly acquire a first-round pick. They don't own a draft pick at the moment. (Jeremy Woo, Sports Illustrated)

10 A.M.

• The Warriors are looking at buying in for a pick in the 30s and can offer the max $5.1 million. They have the No. 28 pick. (Jeremy Woo, Sports Illustrated)

• The Lakers acquired the 39th pick in the draft from the 76ers. Los Angeles will send its 2019 second round pick via the Bulls and cash. (Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN

• The Grizzlies and Mavericks have had discussions about a deal that would send Memphis' fourth overall pick to Dallas. As part of the deal, the Mavs would onload Chandler Parson's salary—he has two years and $49 million left on his deal but has appeared in just 70 games in two years in Memphis, averaging around seven points. (Mike Fisher, 247 Sports)

• The Grizzlies expect interest in their No. 4 pick to intensify, especially once they go on the clock at the draft shortly before 8 p.m. Other teams joining the Mavericks on that potential trade list include the Bulls, Knicks, Celtics, Nuggets, Magic and Clippers. (Jonathan Givony, ESPN)

• The Knicks are thought to covet Villanova junior Mikal Bridges with the ninth overall pick, even if Michael Porter Jr. falls and is available at that selection. (Marc Berman, New York Post)

• The Knicks met in person with Texas' Mo Bamba, an indication that New York could be considering trading up to select the big man. The pick they're targeting is Memphis at No. 4. (Ian Begley, ESPN)

The Hawks own three first-round picks (Nos. 3, 19 and 30) and have thus been engaged in trade discussions. One name that's come up in those talks: Dennis Schroeder. (Jeremy Woo, Sports Illustrated)

• The Charlotte Hornets traded Dwight Howard to the nets in exchange for Timofey Mozgov and the 45th pick. By unloading Mozgov's deal, Brooklyn will save $17 million for the 2019-20 season, which will free up two max contract slots. (Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN)

• Robert Williams, formerly of Texas A&M, has had multiple meetings with the Los Angeles Clippers. L.A. is considering drafting him with either the 12th or 13th pick. (Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN)

With hawks luck, Hawks trade out of the lottery.

2 minutes ago, Nereek said:

With hawks luck, Hawks trade out of the lottery.

why do you have such little faith?   were you not happy w/ Schlenk's two picks last year?  I thought he did well getting John Collins and Tyler Dorsey at the spots he got them in 2017.

I have no reason to doubt Schlenk at this time.   Give the guy a chance before you start doubting him - if Schlenk screws up this draft, then maybe I will doubt him next year but right now, he gets the benefit of the doubt w/ me.

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

why do you have such little faith?   were you not happy w/ Schlenk's two picks last year?  I thought he did well getting John Collins and Tyler Dorsey at the spots he got them in 2017.

I have no reason to doubt Schlenk at this time.   Give the guy a chance before you start doubting him - if Schlenk screws up this draft, then maybe I will doubt him next year but right now, he gets the benefit of the doubt w/ me.

It's the hawks, they're going to screw it up. 

1 minute ago, Nereek said:

It's the hawks, they're going to screw it up. 

you sound like typical Joe Six-Pack.

Falcons were horrible in draft for years - then they got better and mostly stayed better.

Golden State was awful for 30 years - and then they weren't...Warriors may have been the worst franchise in baskeball for two decades.

We have the asst. GM from Warriors that was there when all the good decisions/picks were made - that same GM had a really good draft last year for the Hawks.

Lose the pessimism, Gulliver!

TheTrue7 and jayu70 like this

Just now, g-dawg said:

you sound like typical Joe Six-Pack.

Falcons were horrible in draft for years - then they got better and mostly stayed better.

Golden State was awful for 30 years - and then they weren't...Warriors may have been the worst franchise in baskeball for two decades.

We have the asst. GM from Warriors that was there when all the good decisions/picks were made - that same GM had a really good draft last year for the Hawks.

Lose the pessimism, Gulliver!

You can't screw up the lottery pick, you just can't... Warriors were terrible for 30 years, but once they drafted superstars, they started winning championships. The NBA is all about superstars. 

Just now, Nereek said:

You can't screw up the lottery pick, you just can't... Warriors were terrible for 30 years, but once they drafted superstars, they started winning championships. The NBA is all about superstars. 

In the NBA, it is part having the right strategy, part skill and part luck.    YES, you have to have superstars and there are not many superstars in the NBA.    Probably the most difficult franchise to build of all pro sports is an NBA franchise - especially if you are not one of the iconic franchises like a Lakers, Celtics, etc.     Once superstar players get into the league, you have no ability to keep them if they want to go somewhere else to build a "super team".   I hate the NBA rules of constructing teams, salary cap, but not really a salary cap(luxury tax), etc.  If you want to make the NBA more fair - have a hard salary cap and the ability to franchise your star drafted player.

Personally, it pisses me off that NOW Adam Silver has decided there needs to be an "anti-tanking" rule - the reason teams tank is the NBA franchises are not on a level playing field and some teams can buy championships while others have to draft them and hope they can hang onto their players long enough to win one or become an attractive destination.