Flying Falcon

Question:

53 posts in this topic

Look at it this way --you and I are going to have a car race

I got 10 Million to spend on my car

you got 100,000  to spend on your car

see the need for a salary cap

it is to help promote parity--the "on any given Sunday"  idea that every team has a chance to win---

so you expect all 8-8 records   which we don't have 

but over time (years/decades) it does kinda work out

HASHBROWN3, Slappywhite and Stryka like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

The league would say “competitive balance” but it’s really to limit how much the owners have to spend

BINGO!!!!! Exactly how I thought. More money in the owners pockets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

BINGO!!!!! Exactly how I thought. More money in the owners pockets.

This is not completely right.  There is also a minimum spend.  If it was all about lining owners pockets, you'd have teams spending 1/2 or 1/3 of what others do, like in baseball. 

the end of the day, the owners of course try to make money because they do own the business and that's why you create a business.  But I think the owners realized that parity would lead to more interest in the NFL, which in turn will make them all richer.  

papachaz, Vandy, ltstorm2 and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

The league would say “competitive balance” but it’s really to limit how much the owners have to spend

It’s Both, actually. 

BamaBirdLady and papachaz like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year 8 of the 12 playoff teams did not make the playoffs the year before.  Most years there are at least 4 teams that didn't make it the year before.  Salary caps help keep teams competitive.  

Slappywhite and Herr Doktor like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Vandy said:

It’s Both, actually. 

That’s true. Think it needs to be re examined though. Teams should not be hamstrung because they draft a franchise QB and have to pay him. I think the salary cap should consist of the bottom 52 players rather than the top 50. 

Flying Falcon and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Atlanta Falcons pre salary cap - 4 playoff appearances in 28 seasons.  2 wins.  No NFC Championship appearances.  No Super Bowls.

Atlanta Falcons post salary cap - 10 playoff appearances in 24 seasons. 8 wins. 4 NFC Championship appearances.  Two Super Bowls.

I definitely prefer the league with a salary cap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DogIsYourName said:

This is not completely right.  There is also a minimum spend.  If it was all about lining owners pockets, you'd have teams spending 1/2 or 1/3 of what others do, like in baseball. 

the end of the day, the owners of course try to make money because they do own the business and that's why you create a business.  But I think the owners realized that parity would lead to more interest in the NFL, which in turn will make them all richer.  

I think many are unaware of this----  I know I do not know a lot about it but I think the minimum spend is a very important part of the "salary cap" compensation program---It requires the owners to spend a very large portion (high 90%) of the cap  so that owners can't "pocket"  funds

Not sure on the following but there is also a carry over limit to prevent stockpiling funds for next season

Slappywhite likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

That’s true. Think it needs to be re examined though. Teams should not be hamstrung because they draft a franchise QB and have to pay him. I think the salary cap should consist of the bottom 52 players rather than the top 50. 

True  but under the "new" bargaining agreement passed a few years ago  the "rookie" contracts aren't as big an impact as before  now it's the wnat 4/5 year when a new contract is needed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, delaigle said:

True  but under the "new" bargaining agreement passed a few years ago  the "rookie" contracts aren't as big an impact as before  now it's the wnat 4/5 year when a new contract is needed

You’re right. Just think that if you have a Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees or Matt Ryan (or Von Miller or Aaron donald  etc) on your roster it shouldn’t make you sacrifice other draftees that are also good players. Maybe there should be a nuance about drafted players counting “x”% of their contract vs the cap and free agents count fully. I don’t know the answer, I just think teams with true franchise players should be able to pay them accordingly without sacrificing throughout the rest of the roster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, notthatcool said:

Last year 8 of the 12 playoff teams did not make the playoffs the year before.  Most years there are at least 4 teams that didn't make it the year before.  Salary caps help keep teams competitive.  

That's a bit of oversimplification. You're right that the salary cap keeps every team competitive, but the turnover in playoff teams also depends on things like draft positioning (with the worse teams drafting first), opportunity for teams with the worst records to pull from the waiver wire first, and also schedules being made with first place teams playing first place conference rivals (second place playing second place conference rivals, etc.). The league takes great effort to make sure teams have a shot at success. The good thing about our boys is that we've had difficult schedules for two years running, picked in the late teens and mid-20s, and are still 21-11 over that period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

That's a bit of oversimplification. You're right that the salary cap keeps every team competitive, but the turnover in playoff teams also depends on things like draft positioning (with the worse teams drafting first), opportunity for teams with the worst records to pull from the waiver wire first, and also schedules being made with first place teams playing first place conference rivals (second place playing second place conference rivals, etc.). The league takes great effort to make sure teams have a shot at success. The good thing about our boys is that we've had difficult schedules for two years running, picked in the late teens and mid-20s, and are still 21-11 over that period.

correct.  that is why I said "helps."  there are many factors but the cap is one.  

JayOzOne likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember a poll question on ESPN a few years ago:

Do you want a salary cap in baseball?

Answers were:

Yes

No, I'm a Yankees fan.

Salary cap and FA are the reason there aren't dynasties anymore, NE excepted.

 

Slappywhite and ltstorm2 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

That's a bit of oversimplification. You're right that the salary cap keeps every team competitive, but the turnover in playoff teams also depends on things like draft positioning (with the worse teams drafting first), opportunity for teams with the worst records to pull from the waiver wire first, and also schedules being made with first place teams playing first place conference rivals (second place playing second place conference rivals, etc.). The league takes great effort to make sure teams have a shot at success. The good thing about our boys is that we've had difficult schedules for two years running, picked in the late teens and mid-20s, and are still 21-11 over that period.

You forgot randomness. 

The league is certainly engineered to drive parity. Whats strange is the NFL is among the "least competitive" leagues when it comes to championship parity but enough of the playoff field turns over year to year that its reasonable for like 25 fanbases to think their team can compete at the start of every year. And even then, sometimes competitive teams come from the 7 other teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

You forgot randomness. 

The league is certainly engineered to drive parity. Whats strange is the NFL is among the "least competitive" leagues when it comes to championship parity but enough of the playoff field turns over year to year that its reasonable for like 25 fanbases to think their team can compete at the start of every year. And even then, sometimes competitive teams come from the 7 other teams. 

Great point. Speaking of randomness, who could have predicted how many tipped interceptions our previously sure-handed receivers would have last year? Not to mention the inexplicably booted pass that wound up leading to the deciding points of the playoff game against the Eagles. If it's intercepted, knocked down or directed 3 degrees to the right or left of where it wound up, the receiver doesn't get exactly the yardage needed for a last second field goal and likely the winning points of the game. But it happens.

In truth, it happens a dozen times in every contest but we don't usually notice it because those 50/50 plays aren't normally so obvious (and unusual) or the difference in games like they were last year. It happened when Free missed his block in LI after an excellent season blocking. Sometimes, the law of averages just makes sure we understand it still applies. Would you rather be lucky or good? You probably can't be one unless you're the other. And luck always runs out (unless you're the Patriots).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the salary cap is a big part of what makes the NFL great. Having a relatively straightforward hard cap that can't be exceeded and minimum spend (89% of cap), it ensures every team has a yearly wage bill within 11% of each other. 

Unlike the NBA and MLB with their complex soft/hard caps that can still be exceeded, or football (soccer) in Europe with a complex financial fair play system, the NFL offers a straightforward solution that's easy to understand for fans and offers the most parity.

Dynasties can still be created but through efficient cap management, winning cultures and good coaching. 

Tim Mazetti, NeonDeion and Peyton like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, delaigle said:

Look at it this way --you and I are going to have a car race

I got 10 Million to spend on my car

you got 100,000  to spend on your car

see the need for a salary cap

it is to help promote parity--the "on any given Sunday"  idea that every team has a chance to win---

so you expect all 8-8 records   which we don't have 

but over time (years/decades) it does kinda work out

It is, but some are allowed to do more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now