Tim Mazetti

A Projected Depth Chart

38 posts in this topic

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/6/18/17471654/the-post-minicamp-atlanta-falcons-53-man-roster-projection

Looks to me that backup MLB (206lb Ishmael.),OLB and OT depth are lacking, but I see the reason for four OGs. I like the look of the DL rotation. Here is the article:

Training camp tends to swiftly make fools of all of us when it comes to roster predictions, but that will never stop us. To predict is to be human, and I’m feeling particularly human today.

Here’s my best crack at a 53 man roster at the moment, one that does it best to take advantage of the team’s depth at certain positions by keeping a lot of guys around. That includes wide receiver, where the Falcons get to hold on to three talented young options, and guard, where the Falcons can let 2017 fourth round guard Sean Harlow marinate one more year in the hopes that he’s able to step into a larger role in 2019, when Andy Levitre’s contract is up.

Review mine, sound off, and share yours!

QB Matt Ryan
QB Matt Schaub

RB Devonta Freeman
RB Tevin Coleman
RB Ito Smith

FB Luke McNitt

WR Julio Jones
WR Mohamed Sanu
WR Calvin Ridley
WR Justin Hardy
WR Russell Gage
WR Marvin Hall

TE Austin Hooper
TE Logan Paulsen
TE Eric Saubert

T Jake Matthews
T Ryan Schraeder
T Ty Sambrailo

G Andy Levitre
G Brandon Fusco
G Wes Schweitzer
G Sean Harlow

C Alex Mack
C/G Ben Garland

DE Takkarist McKinley
DE Vic Beasley
DE Brooks Reed
DE Derrick Shelby
DE J’Terius Jones

DT Grady Jarrett
DT Jack Crawford
DT Terrell McClain
DT Deadrin Senat
DT Garrison Smith

OLB De’Vondre Campbell
OLB Duke Riley
OLB Foye Oluokun

MLB Deion Jones
LB Kemal Ishmael
LB Emmanuel Smith

CB Desmond Trufant
CB Robert Alford
CB Isaiah Oliver
CB Brian Poole
CB Justin Bethel
CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson

FS Ricardo Allen
FS Damontae Kazee

SS Keanu Neal
S Chris Lammons

K Matt Bryant

P Matt Bosher

LS Josh Harris

9 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

Hall over Davis?

I think Hall is the more polished guy. He upset me for watching the butt interception unfold in front of him but he did have the nice bomb vs Miami. I think he has more pure speed although I think R. Davis is more agile. 

Im a bit worried about LB. Its really the only position we have no depth at.  No disrespect to K. Ishmael who could fill in service-ably for any LB position but if we lose Debo or Dre for more than a game or 2.We are gonna be in trouble unless Duke magically becomes a poor mans Debo and Foye turns out to be a diamond in the rough.  

2 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Im a bit worried about LB. Its really the only position we have no depth at.  No disrespect to K. Ishmael who could fill in service-ably for any LB position but if we lose Debo or Dre for more than a game or 2.We are gonna be in trouble unless Duke magically becomes a poor mans Debo and Foye turns out to be a diamond in the rough.  

100 percent agree I like ish as a hybrid lb/ss great resign but it really depends on what foye turns into. I still have no faith in duke riley i want to be wrong so bad about him but he looks to have zero instincts. on the positive side I do thin campbell will take another huge leap, I love him against tes and rbs in the flats

also think davis will rise over hall but I like both

Stryka likes this

2 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

But they want Harlow as a G.

paztor has played both guard and tackle in his nfl career and as a guard for the browns he was far better than tackle, so with him you could get a player with versatility 

Tim Mazetti likes this

1 minute ago, jdawg4876 said:

paztor has played both guard and tackle in his nfl career and as a guard for the browns he was far better than tackle, so with him you could get a player with versatility 

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, jdawg4876 said:

100 percent agree I like ish as a hybrid lb/ss great resign but it really depends on what foye turns into. I still have no faith in duke riley i want to be wrong so bad about him but he looks to have zero instincts. on the positive side I do thin campbell will take another huge leap, I love him against tes and rbs in the flats

also think davis will rise over hall but I like both

I just posted a thread in draft/FA about LB'er Mack Wilson and how I'm not sold on Riley. I'll just say it, I think he's a bust. LB'er is my biggest concern on defense.

7 minutes ago, jdawg4876 said:

plus i find it interesting that they extended pasztor a yr when the group was already crowded

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/3/13/17114724/falcons-re-sign-free-agent-cb-leon-mcfadden-ot-austin-pasztor

I see why you like him over Harlow. After your response, so do I. A swing T/G. He seems to be a fit.

And why resign a scrub? Got it. Especially when that specific depth chart showed only three OTs.

Edited by Tim Mazetti

1 minute ago, Tim Mazetti said:

I see why you like him over Harlow. After your response, so do I. A swing T/G. He seems to be a fit.

And why resign a scrub? Got it.

yeah pasztor is no world beater but I do think he could be better than wes or sean.

as a whole I like our o line group.

starters 

jake matthews is an above avg LT, top 15-20, I like Lewan a lot better but we can do a lot worse

Andy levitre, if he comes back healthy is a top 10 lg in my mind in this zone blocking system

alex mack is still a top 3 center period

Rg ? I think it will be  fusco who is a clone of chester aka good at run blocking but below avg at pass protection, but still above wes at it so far.

RT Ryan schrader is a decent RT and way overachieved. I know pff rates him high but I dont as much, I think he benefited a lot by having levine lining up next to him a lot out of the 11 personnel grouping

back ups

Ty at tackle is not bad, in fact I thought he did better than schrader especially in run blocking

guards of ben, pasztor, and wes isa great back up group, that all have real nfl experience and wes did get better as the yr went on and could fill in a game or two.

ben garland at center worries me but thats bc mack is the clear leader of that group, but im sure he could do ok for a game or two.

we can field an o line that at least goes 6 to 7 deep and still be competitive, the seahawks cant field a group that is one deep lol.

Tim Mazetti likes this

33 minutes ago, jdawg4876 said:

RT Ryan schrader is a decent RT and way overachieved. I know pff rates him high but I dont as much, I think he benefited a lot by having levine lining up next to him a lot out of the 11 personnel grouping

Schrader seemed to have a down year, and RT has become more important as Ds have schemed their pass rushers.

Levine plays LG and Schraeder plays RT? Am I missing something?

Edited by Tim Mazetti
I stated Levine when I ment Levitre.

1 hour ago, Gold4425 said:

Hall over Davis?

My thoughts exactly, Hall dropped few passes in limited time and went on to inactive list after the missed chances. I wouldn’t be surprised if a new UDFA or Davis beats Hall for the final WR roster spot.

1 minute ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Schrader seemed to have a down year, and RT has become more important as Ds have schemed their pass rushers.

Levine plays LG and Schraeder plays RT? Am I missing something?

Levine played LG? What you smoking?

4 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Levine played LG? What you smoking?

Oh, I was thinking of Levitre.

Whatever, Levine/Levitre, Iceburg/Goldburg?:)

Edited by Tim Mazetti

5 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Looking at that list, it's almost a done deal we make a move at linebacker.  Camp cuts has got to see a vet or two cut elsewhere.  Debo goes down, we are in trouble. 

Yea, that's basically only move we NEED to make. We are literally stacked everywhere else. I'm impressed with the talent we have on this team right now. 

Tim Mazetti likes this

2 hours ago, falcons007 said:

My thoughts exactly, Hall dropped few passes in limited time and went on to inactive list after the missed chances. I wouldn’t be surprised if a new UDFA or Davis beats Hall for the final WR roster spot.

He only dropped one that I recall. The butt pick. That was the first time I saw him in action since he caught the TD early in the season. He didn’t play much as I recall. 

Look good but it may be tweeked a little

they normally only carry 4 DTs not 5

and normally only 9 DBs  not 10

last 2 years one of those slots has been a 7th WR brought up after season starts  other maybe a 4th RB as they have done before

Thing is last year Hall beat out Davis. Davis was pretty thin coming out of college and needed to bulk up some/maintain his speed. The team let Marvin take all of Julio's reps missed last offseason when JJ was recovering from surgery. So, they obviously see more overall usage potential out of Hall. I do think Davis could become a deep weapon if groomed properly and we did see good flashes from Marvin; sans butt INT but everyone was giving up stupid drops into INTs last year.

I also want to believe that last DE is a good edge type guy. We have run defenders in place and could use another rusher to spell our primary rushers. At DT, I'd love to see Zimmer earn a shot as an upside interior player. Elerbe or Smith as an UDFA LB making the roster is possible from the noise they are making so far. Gotta hope young guys step up; if not for any reason other than alternates to Duke as plan B.

We may also carry 7 WR, btw...

54 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

He only dropped one that I recall. The butt pick. That was the first time I saw him in action since he caught the TD early in the season. He didn’t play much as I recall. 

There was another crucial drop but butt pick was highlight. 

TheFatboi likes this