Stephen King surging popularity...

On 6/22/2018 at 10:02 PM, Leon Troutsky said:

Yeah, I loved Needful Things also.  I was always a fan of “Secret Garden, Secret Window” but I’m not big on the movie.   

I read Needful Things in like 6th grade. Then I saw the movie, and the movie wasn't great. I had been looking for a hard cover of the book for a while now, and oddly enough, when my wife and I flew out to Atlanta last fall, we found it in a book store in Decatur.

11 hours ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

I read Needful Things in like 6th grade. Then I saw the movie, and the movie wasn't great. I had been looking for a hard cover of the book for a while now, and oddly enough, when my wife and I flew out to Atlanta last fall, we found it in a book store in Decatur.

Most of the movies made from King novels aren’t great.  I can only think of a few that were genuinely good (The Green Mile and Stand By Me).  Most of his classic stuff have been terrible movies.  The recent “It” movie might be one of the better ones.

I also wonder why nobody has done a miniseries of his short story collections.  Seems like the perfect venue for that...one 30-45 minute episode for each short story, staying true to the original content.  Instead of trying to turn a short story into a feature-length film, seems like the better approach would be a mini series with 5-6 episodes each season.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I’m almost finished with the first episode of “Castle Rock” and I have to say that it’s a beautifully filmed show.  Not sure yet what I think of the plot...I think it’s intriguing and well-done so far, but we’ll see in a few episodes...but holy crap it is beautifully filmed.  

I also love the time jumps or flashback things.  I’m reading “Finders Keepers” now and the TV show reminds me a little of how that book bounces back and forth between the present and the past.  Overall, I’m very impressed with the Hulu series “Castle Rock”.

On 8/5/2018 at 10:36 PM, Leon Troutsky said:

I’m almost finished with the first episode of “Castle Rock” and I have to say that it’s a beautifully filmed show.  Not sure yet what I think of the plot...I think it’s intriguing and well-done so far, but we’ll see in a few episodes...but holy crap it is beautifully filmed.  

I also love the time jumps or flashback things.  I’m reading “Finders Keepers” now and the TV show reminds me a little of how that book bounces back and forth between the present and the past.  Overall, I’m very impressed with the Hulu series “Castle Rock”.

they are doing a great job at slowly rolling it out. giving you enough to be entertained without giving it away

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2018 at 11:36 PM, Leon Troutsky said:

I can’t wait for Part 2.

If they can tighten it up a bit, it could be a legit very good film. 

Dude has to show a little restraint on the loud noise/shaky cam stuff. The brilliance in part 1 was in the kids' chemistry and the utter creepstuff. Let that win. 

On 6/23/2018 at 3:43 AM, Carter said:

1408 still freaks me out. Very few stories have I ever read that stuck with me like that one has. Chilling. 

I thought the movie was decent too. King movies are hit or miss. Thought the film adaption was pretty good though. 

One of the better products of latter period King. Terrific short story. 

As he's gotten older, I've found myself still impressed with a lot of the short fiction stuff. I dropped out of the novel game like 10 years ago bc he just wasnt grabbing anymore. Prior to Lisey's Story, I'm pretty sure I had read everything he had put out. 

24 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

One of the better products of latter period King. Terrific short story. 

As he's gotten older, I've found myself still impressed with a lot of the short fiction stuff. I dropped out of the novel game like 10 years ago bc he just wasnt grabbing anymore. Prior to Lisey's Story, I'm pretty sure I had read everything he had put out. 

if you haven't read his early short fiction, go back and give it a go

Hearts in Atlantis was another underrated one....great character development. The horror/supernatural tie in with the Dark Tower was almost irrelevant to the story

1 hour ago, Dago 3.0 said:

if you haven't read his early short fiction, go back and give it a go

Hearts in Atlantis was another underrated one....great character development. The horror/supernatural tie in with the Dark Tower was almost irrelevant to the story

Yeah I read all those and loved them so much. There are some absolutely killer stories in there. 

I've read all the collections up through Just After Sunset. Read all the novels (with maybe one or two random omissions) up through Cell. I also read Under the Dome and half of 11/22/63. Both were good. I'm kinda upset I never finished JFK. 

I should get back into reading books. Unfortunately, I tend to read when flying or on vacation and as the content wars have aged, books have fallen back in the race. Thats on me. 

5 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Yeah I read all those and loved them so much. There are some absolutely killer stories in there. 

I've read all the collections up through Just After Sunset. Read all the novels (with maybe one or two random omissions) up through Cell. I also read Under the Dome and half of 11/22/63. Both were good. I'm kinda upset I never finished JFK. 

I should get back into reading books. Unfortunately, I tend to read when flying or on vacation and as the content wars have aged, books have fallen back in the race. Thats on me. 

I am yet again attempting a read through of the Wheel of Time series right now

its hard to tell with the digital copy I have, but I think I am somewhere in the 8th book and the two of us have decided that a trial separation is in order. I am hoping to avoid a full blown divorce this time