blkbigdog35

Atlanta Falcons talk: Who will be on the roster bubble heading into training camp?

24 posts in this topic

Atlanta Falcons talk: Who will be on the roster bubble heading into training camp?

The Falcons will have some tough choices toward the back end of the roster, but let’s get your take.

By Dave Choate Jun 17, 2018, 3:00pm EDT
633704804.jpg.0.jpg Photo by Tim Warner/Getty Images

We’re more than a month out from training camp, but once we finally get there, there should be plenty of spirited battles for roster spots. I’d like to take a look ahead this afternoon and talk a little bit about who is going to more or less enter camp scrapping for a job.

Besides the obvious cast of undrafted free agents and borderline veterans, there are a handful of players that jump readily to mind. 

For me, those include Sean Harlow, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, the trio of fullbacks gunning for jobs at the moment, and second year receivers Marvin Hall and Reggie Davis. Some of these players are legitimately talented, but with a 53 man roster and the wide receiver, guard, and cornerback positions looking awfully crowded, they’re all facing uphill battles just to make the team.

Let’s hear your take, if you’re not too busy celebrating Father’s Day in one way or another. Who is on the bubble heading into training camp?

Would love to see what Harlow has especially with him being a 4th round pick.  Wilson may be gone with Oliver impressing at the moment.  That Hall and Davis battle is going to be fierce but maybe both can make it if Hardy doesn't impress in camp. 

I agree on Wilson he could be oddman out with the additions of Bethel and Oliver.

As for Harlow I hope he does show that nastiness he showed at Oregon State.

As for receivers training camp will tell I could see possibly Hall or Davis go back to practice squad and get picked up eslewhere.

As for quarterback I see us keeping Schaub strictly off of experience, but I'm starting to like the rookie.

Kung-Pow likes this

11 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Would love to see what Harlow has especially with him being a 4th round pick.  Wilson may be gone with Oliver impressing at the moment.  That Hall and Davis battle is going to be fierce but maybe both can make it if Hardy doesn't impress in camp. 

You said it. That's all that comes to mind other than what the article said.

Nice to be rich in talented depth. I wonder if Garland can parlay his versatility and tough experience into a roster spot though.

blkbigdog35 likes this

1 minute ago, Tim Mazetti said:

You said it. That's all that comes to mind other than what the article said.

Nice to be rich in talented depth. I wonder if Garland can parlay his versatility and tough experience into a roster spot though.

Ben is one of my favorites to route for a little military bias, lol.  Seriously the dude is a valuable asset due to his versatility.  Just imagine a few years ago when we weren't rich in talent boy it's great to see now.

23 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Ben is one of my favorites to route for a little military bias, lol.  Seriously the dude is a valuable asset due to his versatility.  Just imagine a few years ago when we weren't rich in talent boy it's great to see now.

He is one of my favorites too, because of the military and also I have always enjoyed line play.

I am hoping Schweitzer, Crawford and Senat play well. I like Hassenauer. the FA center from Bama, too.

I am expecting the regulars to maintain the stellar play, but DAMMIT, it is just too bad that the Falcons HAD to take either Lewan or Matthews in the draft. I am hoping Matthews reaches Lewan's level of play. Some have already called it a miss, when the Falcons could have picked Lewan or Donald.

7 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

He is one of my favorites too, because of the military and also I have always enjoyed line play.

I am hoping Schweitzer, Crawford and Senat play well. I like Hassenauer. the FA center from Bama, too.

I am expecting the regulars to maintain the stellar play, but DAMMIT, it is just too bad that the Falcons HAD to take either Lewan or Matthews in the draft. I am hoping Matthews reaches Lewan's level of play. Some have already called it a miss, when the Falcons could have picked Lewan or Donald.

Yeah this is a contract year for Matthews. He’s been solid but we definitely expected much more for sure.

Tim Mazetti and Slappywhite like this

Justin Hardy - battling for WR4 and ST snaps.  Path to making roster now sets in his ST play.

Brian Poole also needs to watch out...Falcons drafted an outside CB to potentially use Alford more in the slot.  Couple that with 1) Kazee being in Year 2  and 2) Poole’s relative non-presence on ST and that slot position looks a little up for grabs.

13 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Agreed , I think Hardy is a man on a bubble , 

blkbigdog35 and Herr Doktor like this

1 hour ago, Slappywhite said:

Agreed , I think Hardy is a man on a bubble , 

2 hours ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Justin Hardy - battling for WR4 and ST snaps.  Path to making roster now sets in his ST play.

Brian Poole also needs to watch out...Falcons drafted an outside CB to potentially use Alford more in the slot.  Couple that with 1) Kazee being in Year 2  and 2) Poole’s relative non-presence on ST and that slot position looks a little up for grabs.

Sanu is this team's possession WR. If Sanu went down, Hardy is Sanu's backup for that role.  

Kung-Pow and Tim Mazetti like this

19 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Sanu is this team's possession WR. If Sanu went down, Hardy is Sanu's backup for that role.  

Being a 'possession' WR is about the trust/dependability that the QB/WR have been able to develop with one another, not as much about the skillset of the WR.  What Hardy has struggled with in his first three years in the league is adapting to the NFL playbook.  That reliability/dependability hasn't seemed to take hold through his 3 years in the NFL.

So even if Sanu were injured, I think the Falcons passing game morphs around his absence to rely more on Hooper or a combo of Hall/Davis.  I don't think it's a plug-and-play for Hardy.  Ultimately, Sanu will be the Falcons WR3 sooner rather than later anyway.

Slappywhite likes this

3 hours ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Being a 'possession' WR is about the trust/dependability that the QB/WR have been able to develop with one another, not as much about the skillset of the WR.  What Hardy has struggled with in his first three years in the league is adapting to the NFL playbook.  That reliability/dependability hasn't seemed to take hold through his 3 years in the NFL.

So even if Sanu were injured, I think the Falcons passing game morphs around his absence to rely more on Hooper or a combo of Hall/Davis.  I don't think it's a plug-and-play for Hardy.  Ultimately, Sanu will be the Falcons WR3 sooner rather than later anyway.

We shall see. I've never been a big Hardy fan, more due to his inability to get separation than anything else. But t I do see where he currently fits as this team's 2nd string possession WR. Maybe if Saubert shows he can fill that role, that would change my mind. 

Hall/Davis are more Gabriel/Aldrick Robinson role players there to stretch the field. But for the WCO to click, it still needs a solid possession guy as well. 

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

My bride might would disagree with you on that one, Timmy.

Just don't talk to her for a day.

Without talking (Just talking about anything.) women go nuts. That'll show her who's boss.:munch:

Slappywhite and Vandy like this

Just now, Tim Mazetti said:

Just don't talk to her for a day.

Without talking (Just talking about anything.) women go nuts. That'll show her who's boss.:munch:

Sorry my man, but I've been whooped for way too many years. I Know who's boss, and it's not me. :ninja:

Yall sleeping on hardy, may have the best hands on the team. I think with Calvin here the field open up for him. Garland doesn't impress me defensively.  That one sack he got on russel Wilson will put him in the falcons hall of fame. They were on the one yard line with a trashy offensive line. Russell is that offense.

With all the defensive line talent and depth now i cant see him playing defense. I like him depth wise offense though.

Kung-Pow and Tim Mazetti like this

24 minutes ago, red falcon said:

With all the defensive line talent and depth now i cant see him playing defense. I like him depth wise offense though.

Yep. I just posted a projected depth chart that has him as BU C/G.

red falcon likes this

First ALL UDFA rookies are on the bubble

others

DL  Zimmer, G. Smith (now 5/6 and they normally keep 4),

possibly  J*t Jones (now 5th DE and they normally keep 5)

LB  none

DBs  Wreh-Wilson, Burton, McFadden, Branch, T. Graham----all numbers games

WR--Davis/M. Hall --one might make it  ( they will tend to keep Gage unless one of these really outdoes him)

TE Jeaden Graham

OL- Bruinskill, Pasztor?, Harlow, Douglas

I think the Falcons signed 4 free agent rookie WRs better than Reggie Davis and Marvin Hall.  I would be surprised if either of those guys make the team.

Christian Blake, Dontez Byrd, Devin Gray, Taj Williams....wouldn't be surprised to see two of the four make the team.